The Student Room Group

What did you get in GCSE's?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cherry Hill
How????? :0
how did you manage to get 11a*
Did you do alot of revision. or were you the type of people that go into the exam and fluked it. :smile:

I revised :wink: probably not the answer u were hoping for. Not to say it can't be done
Original post by sue99
If you're saying you need more than GCSEs, then surely you need to have GCSEs before you go to AS, A2, BTEC, college etc. ?!

Only if you actually do it at college and their entry requirements say so. Schools don't tell you this (because it's like advertising the competition), but you don't actually need to be at a school or college to do GCSEs, A Levels, degrees etc.

All these establishments really do is provide lessons, not the exams. Which seems even more pointless if all your teachers are doing are repeating the textbook, which you can buy yourself.

It's sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy - if you got Cs, Ds, Es etc. at school, then college might not be your best option anyway and you'd get As doing it at home. If you got As in the school system then perhaps you're one of the lucky ones where the school system works for you.

In short, you don't need any qualifications whatsoever to do A Levels if you want to. You can read the GCSE textbook of your subject to gain background knowledge for fun, sure.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 282
Original post by Neverdie
Only if you actually do it at college and their entry requirements say so. Schools don't tell you this (because it's like advertising the competition), but you don't actually need to be at a school or college to do GCSEs, A Levels, degrees etc.

All these establishments really do is provide lessons, not the exams. Which seems even more pointless if all your teachers are doing are repeating the textbook, which you can buy yourself.

It's sort of a self-fulfilling prophecy - if you got Cs, Ds, Es etc. at school, then college might not be your best option anyway and you'd get As doing it at home. If you got As in the school system then perhaps you're one of the lucky ones where the school system works for you.

In short, you don't need any qualifications whatsoever to do A Levels if you want to. You can read the GCSE textbook of your subject to gain background knowledge for fun, sure.

Wow, that just shows how much you care about qualifications... Whatever you say, school is actually quite important, and sure you don't need anything to do A Levels!! Give me the name of one college/Sixth Form that doesn't need any previous qualifications in order to study for AS and A2s...
Original post by sue99
Wow, that just shows how much you care about qualifications... Whatever you say, school is actually quite important, and sure you don't need anything to do A Levels!! Give me the name of one college/Sixth Form that doesn't need any previous qualifications in order to study for AS and A2s...

Honestly, I've never heard of colleges like them
Reply 284
Original post by zXcodeXz
Honestly, I've never heard of colleges like them

Exactly my point! All higher education establishments need a qualification, and GCSEs are the starting point...
Original post by sue99
Exactly my point! All higher education establishments need a qualification, and GCSEs are the starting point...

Yeah true
Original post by Username3097486
Holy crap man great results!
May I ask when you started revising?
I am also doing further maths, do you think exam solutions and past papers is sufficient enough?
Last question, how did you revise for the sciences and other subjects you did

Not who you asked but got a* with distinction in aqa level 2 further maths. I would say the most important thing is to understand the content well, and then once you know the content do the past papers to get a feel for the questions. Make sure you know the trig values you need in non calc paper (use the triangles rather than trying to memorise a massive table) as well as things like how to use the identity matrix to work out transformation matrices. I would disagree with the other poster that in the exam its about flicking back and forth ti try and find questions you can answer - if you put the work in theres no reason it cant be like any other exam
Original post by samb1234
Not who you asked but got a* with distinction in aqa level 2 further maths. I would say the most important thing is to understand the content well, and then once you know the content do the past papers to get a feel for the questions. Make sure you know the trig values you need in non calc paper (use the triangles rather than trying to memorise a massive table) as well as things like how to use the identity matrix to work out transformation matrices. I would disagree with the other poster that in the exam its about flicking back and forth ti try and find questions you can answer - if you put the work in theres no reason it cant be like any other exam

Thank you for the advice. How long do you reckon it took you to revise further maths?
Original post by Reaver Daniels
Equivalent of 6A*s, 4As, and 4Bs

Posted from TSR Mobile

How did you do that? For maths what did you get and how did you revise?
Original post by Username3097486
Thank you for the advice. How long do you reckon it took you to revise further maths?

Not that long tbh. My school held some revision sessions like the week before the exams, then the weekend before the first one did all of the past papers for that one (on a monday) and then had another revision session on the tuesday and did all the papers for the 2nd paper before the friday
Doing my gcse's this year but i've already done 2. :smile:
IGCSE MATHS - A* :colone:
CIE ENGLISH - B :colone:
3 A*s, 5A's, 1B and 1C
Original post by AindowJ
3 A*s, 5A's, 1B and 1C

Nice, what did you get seperately?
I haven't given ALL my GCSEs yet, but I gave my Maths GCSE a year early and got an A.

I've been predicted 1 A*, 7 As, and 1 B, but I'm pretty sure I'll be getting more A*s in the actual exam, because I've been working my socks off.
Original post by Writer_Refresh
I haven't given ALL my GCSEs yet, but I gave my Maths GCSE a year early and got an A.

I've been predicted 1 A*, 7 As, and 1 B, but I'm pretty sure I'll be getting more A*s in the actual exam, because I've been working my socks off.

Wow amazing what exam board did you do for maths? And how did you revise?
Wow amazing what exam board did you do for maths? And how did you revise?

I did the Edexcel Maths 2015 paper. It was absolutely horrible!

To revise, I strongly recommend that you've learnt all the required content, and then do as many Maths papers as possible. That's how I got the exam practice. Time yourself when you do the paper, and make sure you finish by the end of the time limit.

I would've gotten A* if I started earlier, so if you haven't started revising yet, REVISE! I started during April, so you still have time.

Good luck!
Whoa, ill be lucky if i get 5Bs
I did the Edexcel Maths 2015 paper. It was absolutely horrible!

To revise, I strongly recommend that you've learnt all the required content, and then do as many Maths papers as possible. That's how I got the exam practice. Time yourself when you do the paper, and make sure you finish by the end of the time limit.

I would've gotten A* if I started earlier, so if you haven't started revising yet, REVISE! I started during April, so you still have time.

Good luck!

Thanks for you help! I'm doing this years AQA but for AQA I'm not sure what to revise
Thanks for you help! I'm doing this years AQA but for AQA I'm not sure what to revise

As I said earlier, learn all the content! Go on the AQA website to see the syllabus, or ask a teacher for a revision list. Then go through everything you need to learn. It's not too difficult, trust me.

After you've learnt EVERYTHING, do test papers. This is a foolproof plan, trust me. This is how I got ready for my Maths GCSE last year.
As I said earlier, learn all the content! Go on the AQA website to see the syllabus, or ask a teacher for a revision list. Then go through everything you need to learn. It's not too difficult, trust me.

After you've learnt EVERYTHING, do test papers. This is a foolproof plan, trust me. This is how I got ready for my Maths GCSE last year.

Ok thanks, what year are you in now?

Quick Reply

Latest