The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wired_1800
Tamir Rice, a 12 year old kid, was gunned down on a playground. The judgement was that he posed a threat with a toy gun. The police officers did not even get out of the car before shooting the kid. Sandra Bland was found dead in her cell the next day after she was pulled over in Texas for no reason. There was no justice for these people.

There are stories like this and there are unarmed black men and women, who have been killed. Don't use rates of violent crime committed to justify why there should not be a movement. Like I wrote before, even if it is 1% of black deaths that are attributed to Police brutality, there should still be a campaign.

The Tamir rice the kid had a gun it wasn't a real gun but the police had information of a gun which lacked the orange ring that showed it was a replica, he apparently went for the gun put anyone in that situation with their life on the line 90% of them won't mess about they will protect themselves and shoot first.

It isn't a racial issue and Blm are not just protesting police brutality.
Original post by Youngmetro
Hmm, i cant see this as wanting segregation, its just one meeting. They dont have a specific agenda called 'let there be segregation'

The article does state they are doing this as a result of 'white supremacy' suggesting that white people have hindered them in some way. It's controversial

If it was a white only meeting people would be up in arms declaring it racist, if someone said we are going to have a white only meeting the reason no blacks can come is because of the violent crime rate would that be acceptable?

Edit: in public spaces.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by joecphillips
If it was a white only meeting people would be up in arms declaring it racist, if someone said we are going to have a white only meeting the reason no blacks can come is because of the violent crime rate would that be acceptable?

I do agree, when white people are racist it is often publicised and denounced, unlike when a coloured person does it.

Note that they made such a move in retaliation of the council as opposed to a direct act of discrimination

Sorry, but that is rubbish. There are women-only meetings being done everywhere. The women's right movement and feminist movement organise these sort of meetings. To argue that the media has to be in attendance is one of the most idiotic statements I have read today.

You should google the Bilderberg Conference and read about them. They organise meetings and the media is shut out. The group is made up of mostly very powerful politicians and business leaders from Europe and the US. There is even an argument that it may be a racist organisation. You don't see black people campaigning about that or any other "secret" meetings.
Original post by Wired_1800
Sorry, but that is rubbish. There are women-only meetings being done everywhere. The women's right movement and feminist movement organise these sort of meetings. To argue that the media has to be in attendance is one of the most idiotic statements I have read today.

You should google the Bilderberg Conference and read about them. They organise meetings and the media is shut out. The group is made up of mostly very powerful politicians and business leaders from Europe and the US. There is even an argument that it may be a racist organisation. You don't see black people campaigning about that or any other "secret" meetings.

Sorry I shall further clarify it to say in public spaces
Sorry I shall further clarify it to say in public spaces

Cheers.
Original post by Youngmetro
Care to provide a link for this?

Really? You're going to push others for sources after refusing to back up your own claims?
Original post by Underscore__
That isn't how things work. You can't say something is true and then if someone asks you to prove it just say 'Google it'.

They join because they've been radicalised, there are many reasons why someone might be radicalised, but that is the reason for joining Isis.

Blaming all police officers for the actions of a few and blaming all Muslims for the actions of a few; I don't see the difference.

Posted from TSR Mobile

But that isnt how it works... The police force is an organization islam is a religion\ethinicity.
Original post by SophieBarlow87
But that isnt how it works... The police force is an organization islam is a religion\ethinicity.

So what? Both are optional and contain a wide range of people

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Underscore__
So what? Both are optional and contain a wide range of people

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well you dont really choose your religion, you do to an extent and i do believe that there is a discussion to be had on the dangers of religion to society i just dont believe that that discussion should be specific to islam. The difference is that the police force is an organisation, if i were to say that all americxans are responsible for the actions of the police that would be similar to saying all muslims are responsible for isis. Put it like this... Everyone who joins isis is responsivble for what isis does yeah? So therefore eceryone who joins the police force is responsible for what the police do.
Well you dont really choose your religion, you do to an extent and i do believe that there is a discussion to be had on the dangers of religion to society i just dont believe that that discussion should be specific to islam. The difference is that the police force is an organisation, if i were to say that all americxans are responsible for the actions of the police that would be similar to saying all muslims are responsible for isis. Put it like this... Everyone who joins isis is responsivble for what isis does yeah? So therefore eceryone who joins the police force is responsible for what the police do.

You can leave at any time. There is "no compulsion in religion" after all. Right? :h:
Original post by Jebedee
You can leave at any time. There is "no compulsion in religion" after all. Right? :h:

Im not sure whayt ypu mean by "no compulsion in religion" and yes technically speaking you can leave at any time, but theres a cultural element that goes along with it. So for example, i know lots of people who call themselves christians not because they follow the bible and go to church but because their family is catholic.
Im not sure whayt ypu mean by "no compulsion in religion" and yes technically speaking you can leave at any time, but theres a cultural element that goes along with it. So for example, i know lots of people who call themselves christians not because they follow the bible and go to church but because their family is catholic.

This isn't really a thing in Islam on the same scale as Christianity for instance. The overwhelming majority are fervent followers.
[video="youtube;T7MAO7McNKE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7MAO7McNKE[/video]
Original post by Jebedee
This isn't really a thing in Islam on the same scale as Christianity for instance. The overwhelming majority are fervent followers.

It is in brotain. The real difference is that a lot of predominantly musloim countries are also developping countries, the amount of extreme religion in developping countries is larger trhan in developped countries. If you look at developping cpountries that are christian youll see the same thing.
Reply 356
Original post by BaconandSauce
#Alllivesmatter

You see I don't get why people say this. Yes technically speaking all lives do matter but this is a campaign to tackle the prejudice and discrimination black people uniquely face, the issues a black man faces are different to that of a rich or normal white American man faces, the latter being able to uphold his basic human rights.

I'm not active at all in the BLM campaign, it's too complicated and complex for me although I see its validity and the necessity for it to gain attention. What you've done Is like having a person say "gay lives matter" in a campaign to legalise homosexuality then replying all lives matter… yes that's true but a straight guy isn't being killed because he can't control his feelings, you've just basically told him "shut up you're not the only one with problems you don't deserve a voice, #AllLivesMatter even though I don't know the purpose behind this campaign" . We're all different and face unique issues which other groups in society do not.

I find it absolutely appalling you diminish the values of this campaign by counter attacking it with an invalid bid of 'all lives matter' which is just an attempt to prove the value of their rights is not significant. If you believe all lives matter then fight the inequality black people face.
Original post by zayn008
You see I don't get why people say this.

Because #AllLivesMatter
Reply 358
Original post by BaconandSauce
Because #AllLivesMatter

Good. Stand by your words and fight inequality so every human shares the same high standard of rights.
Original post by zayn008
Good. Stand by your words and fight inequality so every human shares the same high standard of rights.

I do try

Hence #AllLivesMatter

Latest

Trending

Trending