The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by loveleest
But you still have a gambling addition and its really really unhealthy. I have learnt about this is psychology and although you are making "profit" now, that really doesn't mean anything. My psychology teacher has showed us videos whereby people have had their lives destroyed from gambling. One guy was even 1million dollar debt.

I don't understand why being in profit wouldn't matter, that's the only reason I do the bets. If I wasn't in profit I'd stop. I don't gamble for the fun of it!
Reply 41
Original post by karl pilkington
are you a professional gambler also have you ever been banned form any betting shops/online bookmakers

Yes, the bookmakers do consider us 'professionals'.

I've been banned from currently:

BetBright
Betway
Bet365
Ladbrokes
PaddyPower
SkyBet
BoyleSports
WilliamHill
Original post by Reue
How is that any different to say a stock/currency trader?

Because I don't really get a thrill from the gambling. It's just applied maths to me based on the offers available. I rarely watch the horse races and never watch the football matches I'm betting on.

I wouldn't say it is different from stocks.

You many not but I don't think that's central to whether you get a thrill from the wins (or even a particular response to losses). It's possible that there is a subconscious reason that you enjoy the up and down nature of it. Other individuals might find the whole experience very stressful and not enjoy the high stakes unpredictability (they might not feel it fair on themselves to put themselves through it).

It is partly applied maths but not entirely because there is always an element luck; it's imperfect probability really.

Good luck anyway!
Original post by Reue
I don't understand why being in profit wouldn't matter, that's the only reason I do the bets. If I wasn't in profit I'd stop. I don't gamble for the fun of it!

lol ok
Original post by Reue
Ask your older brother about matched betting and how much money it makes the bookmakers lose :wink:

I don't know where you're betting at but where my brother works the bosses tell the staff to look out for betters taking out to much value. The place where you're betting must be more lenient. :wink:
Original post by Reue
I'm currently about £7000 up since I started in October.

I think its an excellent source of income. I do it in time when I'd otherwise just be watching TV of playing video games.

Thats great. Hope you stay ahead. Be careful of overconfidence though.
Reply 46
Original post by humanteaparty
I don't know where you're betting at but where my brother works the bosses tell the staff to look out for betters taking out to much value. The place where you're betting must be more lenient. :wink:

This is true. There are various things you can do to try and stay under the radar but if they suspect you're matched betting they will ban you.
Reply 47
Original post by 999tigger
Thats great. Hope you stay ahead. Be careful of overconfidence though.

I periodically withdraw money from the accounts to ensure I stay ahead. I also avoid the huge offers which can involve risking £200+
Original post by Reue
Just totalled up all the bets I placed last month in matched-betting and it came to £13,275. From that I made just over £2200 in profit. AMA :smile:

really there must be better ways to make that sort of money i can think of a few
Original post by Reue
Ask your older brother about matched betting and how much money it makes the bookmakers lose :wink:

MBetters are the minority and most of the people who use the free bet are gamblers who lose in the long
Reply 50
Original post by jamesthehustler
really there must be better ways to make that sort of money i can think of a few

I cant think of many which are as easy and relatively risk-free.
Original post by Reue
I periodically withdraw money from the accounts to ensure I stay ahead. I also avoid the huge offers which can involve risking £200+

Fancy doing some matched betting for me? I'll pay you in ... uh... rabbit photos?:colondollar:
Original post by Reue

BetBright
Betway
Bet365
Ladbrokes
PaddyPower
SkyBet
BoyleSports
WilliamHill

That's insane :smile: are these bans forever? Do you have more than 1 acc for each bookies
Original post by Reue

BetBright
Betway
Bet365
Ladbrokes
PaddyPower
SkyBet
BoyleSports
WilliamHill

In regards to what?
Reply 54
Original post by littlenorthernlass
Fancy doing some matched betting for me? I'll pay you in ... uh... rabbit photos?:colondollar:

Could do. You'd need about £200 spare to start with and to trust me with remote control of your pc :tongue:
Reply 55
Original post by ULTRALIGHT BEAM
That's insane :smile: are these bans forever? Do you have more than 1 acc for each bookies

Yes and no, although I 'help' others with their accounts for each bookie.
Original post by Reue

BetBright
Betway
Bet365
Ladbrokes
PaddyPower
SkyBet
BoyleSports
WilliamHill

what sports do you usually bet on? do you ever bet on horse racing? How much do you make a year from it
Reply 57
Original post by Davalla
In regards to what?

Banned from future promotional offers
Reply 58
Original post by karl pilkington
what sports do you usually bet on? do you ever bet on horse racing? How much do you make a year from it

Primarily Football, Horses and Greyhounds.

No idea, only been going since last October.
Original post by Reue
I cant think of many which are as easy and relatively risk-free.

scrap precious metals you can buy online from auctions and make a decent sum some of the moguls make £30,000 a month with 20% profit over cost

Latest