The Student Room Group

Change to side bar widgets

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Captain Jack
Hiya,

Please can you send me screen grabs of what you are seeing, either uploaded here or emailed to me at [email protected] if you prefer private so I can see the exact structure of what you mean?

This will really help me in understanding what the issues are and for me to offer fixes where possible.

For example, the 2 latest discussions widgets have been like that for years... unless it turns out you have something else weird going on. So it's good to see the screen grab of it :smile:

Thanks everyone :smile:

Jack

This is what I see in my sidebar. No rep widget.
Original post by mr tim
This is what I see in my sidebar. No rep widget.

This.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks everyone, I will pick this up first thing on Monday for you all :smile:
Reply 23
Shame the MY watched threads has been shoved down to the bottom, beneath a bunch of useless widgets I have always in the past chosen not to display because they were uninteresting or irrelevant to me. Dislike that the received rep has disappeared completely too.
Original post by dhr90
Shame the MY watched threads has been shoved down to the bottom, beneath a bunch of useless widgets I have always in the past chosen not to display because they were uninteresting or irrelevant to me. Dislike that the received rep has disappeared completely too.

Hiya,

Did Watched Forums appear beneath Watched Threads for you? Similar to what PQ is saying above?

Thanks,

Jack

Oh found it now... same complaint as PQ though - I need to expand to see the detail that used to be included, this means now I have to go searching for things that have changed on my watched forums rather than being able to keep a eye on them - the old format was like a report that I could visually scan.
see something - go have a look at it... one click.

Original post by mr tim
@Captain Jack why is there two latest discussion widgets? one has more threads than the other.

EDIT: I think my rep widget is missing?

Original post by Inexorably
I have had 2 latest discussions ones for months and months and months and idk why, the bottom one just has the first five threads in the top one.

It's very irritating.

I've had this for months at least. It just appeared one day. My shorter one isn't the first five of the longer one though. I'm pretty sure that sometimes it isn't a subset of the longer one.
a.png
Attachment not found
Original post by morgan8002
I've had this for months at least. It just appeared one day. My shorter one isn't the first five of the longer one though. I'm pretty sure that sometimes it isn't a subset of the longer one.
a.png
Attachment not found

If you look at your smaller one and look at the thread titles, you can see they appear 3 lines down on the longer one :tongue:
If you look at your smaller one and look at the thread titles, you can see they appear 3 lines down on the longer one :tongue:

Well noticed. This isn't a consistent thing though. Right now the threads in the short one are spread around the long one and in a different order and one is missing(Gaming pc).c.png
Attachment not found
Thinking you know better than your users what they want to see in the sidebar and how it's ordered is a bad move...
Original post by unprinted
Thinking you know better than your users what they want to see in the sidebar and how it's ordered is a bad move...

Hiya,
It's a temporary fix while we bring in more personalisation options which will be much more advanced. This isn't how we think it should be. It's just a step to get the architecture of the site right ready for the new personalisation tools to be added in the next month or two :smile:
Jack
Original post by morgan8002
a.png
Attachment not found

Interesting, it should just be the top latest and trending discussions. I'm not sure why they are different (and hadn't noticed that).
Hiya,
It's a temporary fix while we bring in more personalisation options which will be much more advanced. This isn't how we think it should be. It's just a step to get the architecture of the site right ready for the new personalisation tools to be added in the next month or two :smile:
Jack

Could the temporary fix move watched forums back to the main section on MyTSR instead of in the sidebar?

Or default the sidebar watched forums widget to all expanded instead of hiding the useful information?
Original post by PQ
Could the temporary fix move watched forums back to the main section on MyTSR instead of in the sidebar?

Or default the sidebar watched forums widget to all expanded instead of hiding the useful information?

Yes, that's what I'm thinking too. Just need to find time to find out how all people use it just to sense check it's not just a small number of us heavy users who use the site like that. My week is super busy with meetings but I will make time to look into this.

Ah, I think I see what you mean about extra info, like who's posted and thread title etc?
(edited 8 years ago)
Yes, that's what I'm thinking too. Just need to find time to find out how all people use it just to sense check it's not just a small number of us heavy users who use the site like that. My week is super busy with meetings but I will make time to look into this.

Ah, I think I see what you mean about extra info, like who's posted and thread title etc?

Does the watched forums widget even appear if you have no watched forums? (Like the watched threads widget disappears when you have no unread watched threads.) The watched forum widget doesn't appear to appear until you have watched at least one forum (I checked on my dupe account), As such, if you place the widget in a good position, it will only be in the way if people actively watch forums, so therefore want to see the watched forum widget. As such, I think it makes sense to have it in the main section as opposed to the sidebar, preferably at the top, maybe under watched threads?
Original post by rmhumphries
Does the watched forums widget even appear if you have no watched forums? (Like the watched threads widget disappears when you have no unread watched threads.) The watched forum widget doesn't appear to appear until you have watched at least one forum (I checked on my dupe account), As such, if you place the widget in a good position, it will only be in the way if people actively watch forums, so therefore want to see the watched forum widget. As such, I think it makes sense to have it in the main section as opposed to the sidebar, preferably at the top, maybe under watched threads?

Thanks rmhumphries, that does make a lot of sense.

Just to check with everyone, is this the biggest problem with the update? I.e. if I ask for Watched Forums to be moved to the top of the My TSR hompage, is everything else more or less OK for now?
Reply 35
Thanks rmhumphries, that does make a lot of sense.

Just to check with everyone, is this the biggest problem with the update? I.e. if I ask for Watched Forums to be moved to the top of the My TSR hompage, is everything else more or less OK for now?

Watched threads widget is buried at the bottom of the widgets on the right when you're browsing the forums which is big annoyance to me. All the widgets above it bar the latest/most popular discussions widget are uninteresting/useless for me. I for instance have no need or desire to look at the Study Help widget...

Posted from TSR Mobile
+1
Original post by dhr90
Watched threads widget is buried at the bottom of the widgets on the right when you're browsing the forums which is big annoyance to me. All the widgets above it bar the latest/most popular discussions widget are uninteresting/useless for me. I for instance have no need or desire to look at the Study Help widget...

Posted from TSR Mobile

So it is just that one widget that needs to be higher?

Just want to be sure there aren't others.

On my phone on thread views the latest discussions widget seems to be defaulting to 20 threads - which means it takes forever* to scroll down to the links in the footer (which is how I usually get back to MyTSR).

It's not unmanageable but it seems odd - on a PC with the same page the LD widget is defaulting to 5 threads (when there's actually space for more in theory)

*slight exaggeration

That would make me very happy if watched threads was higher :yy:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending