The Student Room Group

Can a woman be happy without a man?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Another
Lmao I turned out just fine, so do many others in single parent households, wat u been on

I grew up in a single parent household and i think my mum did a great job, though i think i did miss out on a lot of things that boys who grew up with fathers did.

I believe children, especially boys need some sort of father figure in their life (whether that be another woman, an uncle, grandad, etc)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jblackmoustache
I grew up in a single parent household and i think my mum did a great job, though i think i did miss out on a lot of things that boys who grew up with fathers did.

I believe children, especially boys need some sort of father figure in their life (whether that be another woman, an uncle, grandad, etc)

Posted from TSR Mobile

You should never really wish for "what could have been". Even if you did have a dad, there's no guarantee he will be the man you've been hoping for I've always been envious of other girl's relationships with their mothers, even though I had one right at home (African parenting smh.)

I thought father figures were important for girls too for a brief while - before I found out that my own dad was a sorry tit with no job, no savings, and the emotional capacity of a lemon. I'd opt to be raised by a single mother instead any day - grass isn't always greener on the other side!

Then again I'm a girl, raised in a completely female household composing of my mum and sisters, so my point may be invalid.
Original post by Another
You should never really wish for "what could have been". Even if you did have a dad, there's no guarantee he will be the man you've been hoping for I've always been envious of other girl's relationships with their mothers, even though I had one right at home (African parenting smh.)

I thought father figures were important for girls too for a brief while - before I found out that my own dad was a sorry tit with no job, no savings, and the emotional capacity of a lemon. I'd opt to be raised by a single mother instead any day - grass isn't always greener on the other side!

Then again I'm a girl, raised in a completely female household composing of my mum and sisters, so my point may be invalid.

Sounds bout right.

This gal above is an impressive human being.

Yeh don't need a man or woman, yeh just need a support network be it friends, family or whatever.

It just often comes in the form of a man i.e. bf, husband, father, sugardaddy etc...
Original post by CaramelLeek
Please expand on your claim. Are you implying that women cannot provide for and protect themselves?

I am saying in most cases women do in fact need a man to provide and to protect.
Its been like that since the start of civilization.
Women seek out a man to provide and to protect, as it is an instinctual male trait.
Original post by Blue_Mason
I am saying in most cases women do in fact need a man to provide and to protect.
Women seek out a man to provide and to protect, as it is an instinctual male trait.

But times are different. We are no longer at the start of civilization; we have evolved quite a lot since then. What may be true back then may not be true now. Past evolutionary advantages of women's depency on men should not be applicable to modern times or used as a reason for why women need to rely on men.
Original post by trustmeimlying1
Sounds bout right.

This gal above is an impressive human being.

Yeh don't need a man or woman, yeh just need a support network be it friends, family or whatever.

It just often comes in the form of a man i.e. bf, husband, father, sugardaddy etc...

A support network of family or friends you can trust is probably the most important thing. The better your support is, the less need you have for a relationship

I've always thought the type of woman who wishes security/support from a man who will magically love them unconditionally is likely to be poor, no ambitions, less educated, less intelligent and wants just an easy route to life so they don't have to make all the difficult decisions themselves. Then again, I could just be judgemental.

In your explanations, you say "Most women"
In your claims, you say "All women"

This is where people draw offence. You cannot say "all women act" because "most women think", regardless of whether your "most women think" is correct or fabrication
(edited 7 years ago)
Pretty sure this is my future based on my love life now

Spoiler

I hope so 'cos I'll never have one.:nopity:
Original post by Another
A support network of family or friends you can trust is probably the most important thing. The better your support is, the less need you have for a relationship

I've always thought the type of woman who wishes security/support from a man who will magically love them unconditionally is likely to be poor, no ambitions, less educated, less intelligent and wants just an easy route to life so they don't have to make all the difficult decisions themselves. Then again, I could just be judgemental.

This is where people draw offence. You cannot say "all women act" because "most women think", regardless of whether your "most women think" is correct or fabrication
Just a tad judgemental xD. Although I get your point.

I wouldnt be too reliant on any person. Best to have a few support networks, family...good reliable mates and a bf/gf/husband

Dont put all your eggs in one basket. But yeh the more the merrier. so why not have a man/woman in your life.
Original post by littlenorthernlass
I hope so 'cos I'll never have one.:nopity:

*rolls eyes*
Original post by trustmeimlying1
*rolls eyes*

:nothing:
I feel happier than ever atm and it's the longest i've been single.:curious:

I'll go with yes.
Original post by Another

Okay not all, but most women would agree, as they are living proof of what I am talking about.
I would say that over 80 percent of women.
Yes, but what kind of mother would bring up her children in a single household?
You cannot provide enough financial and emotional support.
You cannot teach your son in how to become a man

A good one.
Yes I can.
So what?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Katty3
A good one.
Yes I can.
So what?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unless your parents are wealthy, you cannot raise a child on a single income unless you're some you have a successful career.
And by successful I mean buying a house,car etc
So what?
A boy needs a father figure,a man to guide him, no woman can provide that.
But your argument cannot apply to straight women.
Straight women need and want men,as men provide and protect.

I'm 24 and I dont plan on having any relationship for the rest of my life and I'm happy. many women feel the same.

guess women like me must be some kind of freak show to you..
Reply 116

A boy needs a father figure,a man to guide him, no woman can provide that.

Why can't women 'guide' their children?
Original post by sherlockfan
I'm 24 and I dont plan on having any relationship for the rest of my life and I'm happy. many women feel the same.

guess women like me must be some kind of freak show to you..

Pssh, you're still of age in which you can step into a healthy relationship at anytime.
The fact that you excuse it is just a coping mechanism of "I can be single for the rest of my life" is a flaw on your part.
Original post by AJ KO
Why can't women 'guide' their children?

Incorrect, a mother cannot discipline or teach her teenage son, without a father figure in the picture.
She has less power,influence and control without a father being in the picrure
Reply 119
Incorrect

I asked a question, how can my question be 'incorrect'? :hmmmm2:

a mother cannot discipline or teach her teenage son, without a father figure in the picture.

Why not?

She has less power,influence and control without a father being in the picrure
Source?

Quick Reply

Latest