The Student Room Group

More than half of British Muslims say homosexuality should be outlawed

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Grand High Witch
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3532355/More-half-Muslims-want-gay-sex-outlawed-nearly-quarter-support-areas-UK-run-sharia-law.html

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/Society/article1686282.ece?CMP=OTH-gnws-standard-2016_04_09

This is pretty worrying for gay people. I would understand a poll if half of British Muslims felt homosexuality is wrong in line with their beliefs, but this goes a step further and half are saying they also want it outlawed.

Well if they think it it wrong, perhaps they should go to a country with those views, eg Malaysia, Dubai, etc, homophobia is backwards and outdated and we don't want it in our society.

Ugh! I hate that they do this to us. I hate that the Islamists have forced those of us who are freedom-orientated to harden our hearts and support measures like drones, targeted killings, invasions, that we otherwise might not.

I'm a pretty chill guy, a bit of a hippie. I'd rather sit around listening to Buffalo Springfield* (see below) and smoke a bit of ganj, and have goodwill to all, that sort of thing. I suppose the last 15 years has made me realise that we have to respond forcefully to defend our civilisation and way of life.

They act like they're the only ones who have principles, who care about something. Well, we have principles too, and I'm sick of constantly having to compromise to accommodate these people. No more. They should be expelled from this country, they are quite simply incompatible with the values of our civilisation

[video="youtube;DIoKr9VDg3A"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIoKr9VDg3A&nohtml5=False[/video]
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by OGGUS
They aren't really Muslim then... think about it.
Muslims don't hate gays, they hate people who practice it.
Those people practice it because there possessed by something and need help.

You don't hate them, you just hate them enjoying the same sort of basic right to intimacy with their loved ones that everyone else can enjoy. That totally makes sense.
This simply isn't true, how was every single British Muslim polled huh? I wasn't polled. Stop exaggerating every single thing, it polled 1801 people in 1 city where there is many other factors involved rather than just being Muslim...
Reply 104
Original post by BeastOfSyracuse
You don't hate them, you just hate them enjoying the same sort of basic right to intimacy with their loved ones that everyone else can enjoy. That totally makes sense.

I don't hate them, they do whatever they want... I was in a bitchy mood when i posted most of this lol
Original post by Zain-A
This simply isn't true, how was every single British Muslim polled huh? I wasn't polled. Stop exaggerating every single thing, it polled 1801 people in 1 city where there is many other factors involved rather than just being Muslim...

Do you understand basic statistics? Sample sizes? Margins of error? How on earth can you progress through the educational system without learning this stuff?
Reply 106
Original post by Zain-A

It's called sampling. What do you think - surveys poll every person on the census? Dunce.
Reply 107
Do you understand basic statistics? Sample sizes? Margins of error? How on earth can you progress through the educational system without learning this stuff?

Mind blowing stuff.

Do you not understand that a Muslim living in London and a Muslim living elsewhere is brought up in a different environment. There are several cultural issues prevalent in the Muslim community of people not wanting to let go of their own prejudices.

Any it still cannot be claimed half of all British Muslims want to ban homosexuality, because that sample size and location isn't representative of the whole nation.
??
Original post by Howard
It's called sampling. What do you think - surveys poll every person on the census? Dunce.

There's more to that issue than sampling, and either way its still not representative.
Original post by Zain-A

Any it still cannot be claimed half of all British Muslims want to ban homosexuality, because that sample size isn't representative of the whole nation.

So you don't understand the concept of sample sizes?
Original post by TheIr0nDuke
Relatively large meaning a minority of Muslims?

Muslims are one of the most privileged groups in the UK. It is classed as a hate crime to criticize them or their religion and diversity quotas mean they will always find employment, whether they are skilled or not.

Although it will never happen, if Sharia law was implemented in the UK the best case scenario would be a ban on homosexuality, and worst case would be the killing of gays. Why the LGBT community sides with Islam I will never know.

Sharia is and will be implemented in the UK, regardless of if you like it or not*.

* Unless the mass migration of Muslims into the UK is immediately stopped and deportations begin of those with the general beliefs that the survey identified.
So you don't understand the concept of sample sizes?

Explain then please?

Because I'm certain a sample size of 1800 in one city does not represent the approx. 2.7 million in the whole UK.
Original post by Zain-A
There's more to that issue than sampling, and either way its still not representative.

Thanks for confirming you don't understand what a sample size is.

Also interesting that you said the Muslims in "that city" can't be representative.

What city? There's no indication the interviews were in just one location.

Perhaps you should brush up on polling and statistics so you can better understand how you can deduce the views of large numbers of people through mathematically-determined sample sizes. Clearly that's not something you understand
Original post by Zain-A
in one city

What city? Why are you claiming it's just in one city?
Original post by Zain-A
Explain then please?

The science of statistics is extremely well proven and has been for a long time.7

You can be mathematically almost certain that for a population of, say, 5 million that you can deduce their views through polling with a confidence level of about 95% and a margin of error of about 3% by polling around 2,000 people from within the group.

That's simply a scientific fact, proven over decades. You clearly don't understand the science of statistics and polling, hence you start asking stupid questions about how polling about 2000 people could show the views of millions with accuracy
Thanks for confirming you don't understand what a sample size is.

Also interesting that you said the Muslims in "that city" can't be representative.

What city? There's no indication the interviews were in just one location.

Perhaps you should brush up on polling and statistics so you can better understand how you can deduce the views of large numbers of people through mathematically-determined sample sizes. Clearly that's not something you understand

Listen, I'm not here to make another person feel daft so I won't talk down to you like you have to me. What I am trying to say is that I can guarantee you these views do not arise simply because of Islam, because I have grown up in these sort of communities. Its when Islam is combined with a backwards cultural view of thinking that many Muslims down south have is when you get these view point.

Many young Muslims who have grown up away from the influences of these cultural pressures don't have these views. If you want to make a statement such as the one the article is making there needs to be a holistic investigation of why these issues are occurring.
What city? Why are you claiming it's just in one city?

Because he either doesn't believe or does not want to believe the results, and what do people do when evidence is against them? - The attack the methodology of obtaining such evidence. The next stage will be creating a false comparison of another unrelated demographic in an attempt to lessen the impact of the results, e.g. "look, group X have 35% supporting making it illegal, only a few less than in the survey".
Reply 119
I'm a British muslim and no one's asked me what I think so no one can say "half of the British muslims"

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending