The Student Room Group

Completing Student Finance

Hello,

I have downloaded the form to apply for student finance and have started to complete it but I have a couple of questions.

First, I can't find anything about household income. Am I not suppose to send that information? If so, how will they handle my application?

Second, I have an offer for a 3 year course but I plan on later (end of 2nd year) changing to the 4 year course. If I fill in my course information as a 3 year course, will I still be able to get financial support for my 4th year?
Original post by anafernandes
Hello,

I have downloaded the form to apply for student finance and have started to complete it but I have a couple of questions.

First, I can't find anything about household income. Am I not suppose to send that information? If so, how will they handle my application?

Second, I have an offer for a 3 year course but I plan on later (end of 2nd year) changing to the 4 year course. If I fill in my course information as a 3 year course, will I still be able to get financial support for my 4th year?

First: which form have you downloaded? Does it have a code and are you a new student? New students complete PN1: http://media.slc.co.uk/sfe/1617/ft/sfe_pn1_form_1617_d.pdf which includes financial questions for you (section 8) and your parents (section 12).

All the forms and guidance notes for new students are here: https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-forms/y/uk-full-time/apply-loans-grants/year-1617/new-student

Switching from a 3 year to a 4 year course is possible but it's better if you can start on the 4 year course from the start. Speak to your university and explain that you'd like them to say to the SLC that you're on the 4 year course as it's your intention to take the 4 years if possible. Switching upwards can cause problems if you have to repeat a year or suspend at any point. Swapping downwards is a lot simpler.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Thank you for answering so quick.

I will try to talk to the university about the 4 year situation.

I used form finder and downloaded EU16N, since I am an EU student, and I don't see any financial questions. Is that the wrong form?
Thank you for answering so quick.

I will try to talk to the university about the 4 year situation.

I used form finder and downloaded EU16N, since I am an EU student, and I don't see any financial questions. Is that the wrong form?

I assumed you were English because you posted in the SFE forum sorry.

That's the right form. If you read the guidance notes on the form it explains that if financial information is required then they will request that later.
Reply 4
Hello,

As an EU student, you will only get a Tuition Fee Loan which is not income-related. You will automatically get the full loan to cover all your tuition fees.

You can only get the Maintenance Loan if you have lived in the UK for 5 full years before the start of your course. If that applies to you, then you should be applying online as a Home/UK student and not using the paper form. That will give you the option to be income-assessed.
Reply 5
I have come across another problem while filling out the forms. What am I supposed to say when it is asked why I live in my house? I don't really have a reason for it, I have lived there all my life.
Reply 6
I have come across another problem while filling out the forms. What am I supposed to say when it is asked why I live in my house? I don't really have a reason for it, I have lived there all my life.

Then it will be something like "Living with my parents in our family home".
Reply 7
Hi,

I need some help!
I filled an online application form in the student finance website and it said that my application has been successful and now I have a "to do list" in my online account to send them an evidence of my ID card and to print out a 3-4 pages "terms and conditions' then sign them and then send it to them on the post. Do I have to print the EU16N form as I am an EU student or any other application form and fill it in ink as I have heard?!

Thank you in advance
Original post by shadyxv
Hi,

I need some help!
I filled an online application form in the student finance website and it said that my application has been successful and now I have a "to do list" in my online account to send them an evidence of my ID card and to print out a 3-4 pages "terms and conditions' then sign them and then send it to them on the post. Do I have to print the EU16N form as I am an EU student or any other application form and fill it in ink as I have heard?!

Thank you in advance

As an EU student, you can not apply online. You should print the EU16N form, fulfill it and then send it. Only the UK students can apply online. Am i wrong?
Reply 9
This is probably a dull question but... does it need to be printed in colour or will a b/w version do?
Original post by peetey
This is probably a dull question but... does it need to be printed in colour or will a b/w version do?

black and white is fine
Guys, I am filling the EU16n, and I am not sure about 4d... I am going for UG course and will have 2 semesters, as it is said on the website... Should I tick 3 terms in this part or just 2?
Original post by Julia987
Guys, I am filling the EU16n, and I am not sure about 4d... I am going for UG course and will have 2 semesters, as it is said on the website... Should I tick 3 terms in this part or just 2?

Even a university with 2 semesters will have an autumn, spring and summer term.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending