The Student Room Group

What did you get in GCSE's?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by celloel
3 A*s and 4 As (did less GCSEs and 'missed' Year 11 due to a physical medical condition).

But now I'm failing my A levels, so hurr hurr :u:

That's still good though what did you get seperately? And what a levels are you doing now?
Original post by Nowen
Edexcel

GCSE Maths is very rigid in the questions it asks you, so past papers are your best bet. The odd questions that do come up like Hannah's sweets( which in fairness wasn't as difficult as the cone question later on) are unpredictable and are aimed towards those wanting to achieve an A*. The best advice for these questions is to try and be as methodical as possible, think of anything that could possibly help you and attempt to use it to solve the question.

Past Papers will show you that 80% of questions are practically the same as questions on previous papers. You start to learn patterns and what they're asking you to do.

I'm doing AQA are they the same, in terms of putting same questions?
Original post by zXcodeXz
That's still good though what did you get seperately? And what a levels are you doing now?

A*s in English Literature, English Language and History
As in Maths, Science, Additional Science and Business

AS/A Levels in English Literature, English Language, History and IT (and I did the EPQ). somuchregret

Best of luck to you for your upcoming exams :smile:
Woah what did you get seperately?

I got A*'s in Chemistry, Biology, Maths, Physics, English Lang, English Lit and French
A in History and half GCSE RS
C in drama :PP
Original post by celloel
A*s in English Literature, English Language and History
As in Maths, Science, Additional Science and Business

AS/A Levels in English Literature, English Language, History and IT (and I did the EPQ). somuchregret

Best of luck to you for your upcoming exams :smile:

Thanks what exam board did you do for maths and how did you revise for it?
Original post by white_o
I got A*'s in Chemistry, Biology, Maths, Physics, English Lang, English Lit and French
A in History and half GCSE RS
C in drama :PP

What exam board did you do for maths and how did you revise for it?
What exam board did you do for maths and how did you revise for it?

Pretty sure it was OCR and I just made sure I understood every topic we covered, asked the teachers a lot, went to EVERY revision session, made sure I had a lot of different teachers helping me so I could benefit from different teaching styles and then just did loads of practise questions and every single past paper a few times :P
11 A*s, 1 A
Thanks what exam board did you do for maths and how did you revise for it?

Edexcel. If I'm being completely honest, I was physically unable to revise last year due to being too sick, and prioritised other subjects when I had the ability to do so.

Advice for you (what I would have done):
I had a textbook that explained topics and then had questions after each textbook. Read through the topic, do the questions, mark them. Look at every single question you got wrong and find out why you got it wrong - if you can't see why the answer is what it is, ask anyone you can, teachers, parents, friends, TSR. Then, redo the questions separately. You should be getting near full marks.

Look at the specification and make sure you're going through each topic and revising each one, to ensure you're learning everything you need to. Once you have done all of this, start doing past papers. Do as MANY past papers as you can get your hands on. Complete them, mark them, go through the answers. Again, any that you got wrong, find out WHY you got it wrong and keep going over it until you can do the question and know how to do it.

Collect all of the questions you got wrong/didnt get full marks, then do them again. And again. And again. Until it is ingrained in your head how to do it, and you know exactly how to answer the problems. Go through as many past papers as you can, because questions are generally become the same after so many years.
Original post by white_o
Pretty sure it was OCR and I just made sure I understood every topic we covered, asked the teachers a lot, went to EVERY revision session, made sure I had a lot of different teachers helping me so I could benefit from different teaching styles and then just did loads of practise questions and every single past paper a few times :P

Oh ok thanks
Original post by celloel
Edexcel. If I'm being completely honest, I was physically unable to revise last year due to being too sick, and prioritised other subjects when I had the ability to do so.

Advice for you (what I would have done):
I had a textbook that explained topics and then had questions after each textbook. Read through the topic, do the questions, mark them. Look at every single question you got wrong and find out why you got it wrong - if you can't see why the answer is what it is, ask anyone you can, teachers, parents, friends, TSR. Then, redo the questions separately. You should be getting near full marks.

Look at the specification and make sure you're going through each topic and revising each one, to ensure you're learning everything you need to. Once you have done all of this, start doing past papers. Do as MANY past papers as you can get your hands on. Complete them, mark them, go through the answers. Again, any that you got wrong, find out WHY you got it wrong and keep going over it until you can do the question and know how to do it.

Collect all of the questions you got wrong/didnt get full marks, then do them again. And again. And again. Until it is ingrained in your head how to do it, and you know exactly how to answer the problems. Go through as many past papers as you can, because questions are generally become the same after so many years.

Thanks this is actually really helpful!! But you got a really good grade in maths
Nice, what did you get seperately?

A*s: Geography, English Literature, Religious Education
A's : Maths (only 5 off an A* :/ ), Core and Additional Science, Business and I.T
B in French (As far as i'm aware I got one of the top grades in my school year, eek)
C in English Language (those A*s on coursework saved my a**)
chlamydia
Original post by AindowJ
A*s: Geography, English Literature, Religious Education
A's : Maths (only 5 off an A* :/ ), Core and Additional Science, Business and I.T
B in French (As far as i'm aware I got one of the top grades in my school year, eek)
C in English Language (those A*s on coursework saved my a**)

Nice, what exam board did you do for maths?
Original post by sue99
Wow, that just shows how much you care about qualifications... Whatever you say, school is actually quite important, and sure you don't need anything to do A Levels!! Give me the name of one college/Sixth Form that doesn't need any previous qualifications in order to study for AS and A2s...

What on earth? What did I say that suggests I don't care about qualifications? And in what context?

Why are you asking about colleges and sixth form? Did you actually read what I wrote? Why are you being so aggressive?

Look, I'll make it even shorter this time:

Original post by Neverdie
Only if you actually do it at college and their entry requirements say so... you don't actually need to be at a school or college to do GCSEs, A Levels, degrees etc.

All these establishments really do is provide lessons, not the exams...

...In short, you don't need any qualifications whatsoever to do A Levels if you want to.
I got 7A*s and 4 As
Nice, what exam board did you do for maths?

Edexcel
Original post by GeorginaRose98
I got 7A*s and 4 As

Nice, what did you get for each subject?
Reply 338
Original post by Neverdie
What on earth? What did I say that suggests I don't care about qualifications? And in what context?

Why are you asking about colleges and sixth form? Did you actually read what I wrote? Why are you being so aggressive?

Look, I'll make it even shorter this time:

No offence, but you really need to choose your lexical choices carefully in a context such as qualifications....
Original post by sue99
No offence, but you really need to choose your lexical choices carefully in a context such as qualifications....

He was clear, you misread, apologise and move on.

Quick Reply

Latest