The Student Room Group

Confused about the cost of a medical degree

Hi!

I have an offer for medicine with a foundation year. In a nutshell:
Year 0 --> year 1 --> year 2 --> year 3 --> year 4 ---> year 5.

While filling in my student finance, it occurred to me that I'll owe £54k on just student loans... :s-smilie:
I did some googling and I found out that the NHS pays for your 5th year. However I'm not doing a conventional 5yr course, so 5th year is year 4.

Does that mean that I won't owe anything for year 4 and 5? Or does the year 0 not count as my first year (even though it still counts as me being a med student)?

I know Oxbridge/Imp/UCL medics have a 6yr long course as well, if you study there what's the NHS funding like for you?

Original post by melanin101
Hi!

While filling in my student finance, it occurred to me that I'll owe £54k on just student loans... :s-smilie:
I did some googling and I found out that the NHS pays for your 5th year. However I'm not doing a conventional 5yr course, so 5th year is year 4.

Does that mean that I won't owe anything for year 4 and 5? Or does the year 0 not count as my first year (even though it still counts as me being a med student)?

I know Oxbridge/Imp/UCL medics have a 6yr long course as well, if you study there what's the NHS funding like for you?

The NHS will take over and pay for year 5 onwards.

The truth is most medics won't pay their debt off, at least not for a very long time. Just think of it as an extra tax for your working life.
Reply 2
Original post by ForestCat
The NHS will take over and pay for year 5 onwards.

The truth is most medics won't pay their debt off, at least not for a very long time. Just think of it as an extra tax for your working life.

Thanks for this :smile: Yup, I think it's a percentage off of all earnings above £21k

I'm assuming year 0 counts as first year then?
Thanks for this :smile: Yup, I think it's a percentage off of all earnings above £21k

I'm assuming year 0 counts as first year then?

In terms of finance yeah.
Hi!

You pay 4 years.

Don't forget maintenance loans. All told plus interest for that period you'll probably be looking at £55-60k debt at graduation.
Reply 5
Original post by ForestCat
In terms of finance yeah.

Original post by nexttime
You pay 4 years.

Don't forget maintenance loans. All told plus interest for that period you'll probably be looking at £55-60k debt at graduation.

Thank you both! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending