The Student Room Group

The NHS is amazing !

Scroll to see replies

I've been working in the NHS for 2 years but my experiences with it of late have been awful.

My Mum went for an emergency appointment recently for something that was definitely an emergency (not going to go into details). The jumped up receptionist told her 'this would be a routine appointment really'. A Band 3 receptionist with absolutely no medical training whatsoever made my Mum explain all her symptoms etc to her at the front of a queue, in front of other people waiting, to then be told by an administrator that it's not an emergency? False - doctor referred her for a scan straight away. Imagine if that had been a little old lady who didn't want to be a bother?

Second thing that comes to mind is that a year ago I almost died because I was diagnosed wrongly by 4 different doctors before finally going to A&E and waiting 4 hours to get the right diagnosis. Having a severe kidney problem and being told by a foreign doctor who barely spoke proper English that I had thrush despite not having ANY of the symptoms for thrush.

The NHS is a great thing, but it's going downhill big time (in my experience as both a patient and an employee)
Original post by homeland.lsw
Can you elaborate :redface:
Some trusts are much worse than others ngl. Fortunately my area has some pretty top notch hospitals...

I mean that I was in a critical condition and my heart almost failed through their negligence. But it's great that your area has good services. Mine are very underfunded.
Original post by Platopus
I mean that I was in a critical condition and my heart almost failed through their negligence. But it's great that your area has good services. Mine are very underfunded.

Maybe I'm coming to this with a biased pov?
Anywho, did you seek legal action?
Original post by haprybeingright
thats exactly what happens. there are no restrictions on the services private healthcare can offer

There are procedures that aren't allowed eg. reproductive human somatic cell nuclear transfer.
Original post by homeland.lsw
Maybe I'm coming to this with a biased pov?
Anywho, did you seek legal action?

No, don't worry. And no I didn't. I'm probably being biased and bitter myself.
(edited 8 years ago)
Just appreciate that we have free healthcare in this country
i have had a negative experience.
After calling them twice regarding pain on a targetted area of my head, I was just told to take over the counter medications.
Both times called during a 3 week period, where I have seen a doctor also :/
I just want a proper diagnosis, I cant handle this excess stress with assignment deadlines etc..
Original post by morgan8002
There are procedures that aren't allowed eg. reproductive human somatic cell nuclear transfer.

Right

Are you suggesting that this is done in the NHS?

Because it isn't.

But it can be done by both publicly and privately funded labs so....

There are no restrictions on private healthcare provision that are not on public health provision.

Why are you so keen on arguing pedantically with research techniques that this is wrong? It's not even relevant to the point I or the person I was responding too was making!!!!!!
Original post by haprybeingright
Right

Are you suggesting that this is done in the NHS?

Because it isn't.

But it can be done by both publicly and privately funded labs so....

There are no restrictions on private healthcare provision that are not on public health provision.

Why are you so keen on arguing pedantically with research techniques that this is wrong? It's not even relevant to the point I or the person I was responding too was making!!!!!!

You said that there were no restrictions on the services private healthcare can offer. This is false. I'm not suggesting it is done on the NHS.
Original post by Anonymous
i have had a negative experience.
After calling them twice regarding pain on a targetted area of my head, I was just told to take over the counter medications.
Both times called during a 3 week period, where I have seen a doctor also :/
I just want a proper diagnosis, I cant handle this excess stress with assignment deadlines etc..

Maybe it is just the stress?
Original post by FarageCollage
when was the last time you went to a hospital at 1am-7am in the morning? specifically *this* hospital that I went to?

there was an open set of double doors between the hallway where the treatment room was and the waiting room! I saw them come out of a room and there had been nobody else in there before I went in! this is pathetic! you have *no* idea what you're talking about!

Sounds like you were in minors or a walk in centre.

There would have been a majors department and a resus department full of very unwell patients. You were seen after 6 hours because there would have been many people in front of you who needed medical attention first. There are no A&Es where there's only one patient waiting. That just doesn't happen anymore, even at 3am in the morning.

To assume your wait was because the "doctors and nurses were chatting" is incredibly self centered and insulting.
(edited 8 years ago)
Any complaints about the NHS will be the result of the govt. never giving enough funding to it.
Original post by Etomidate
Sounds like you were in minors or a walk in centre.

There would have been a majors department and a resus department full of very unwell patients. You were seen after 6 hours because there would have been many people in front of you who needed medical attention first. There are no A&Es where there's only one patient waiting. That just doesn't happen anymore, even at 3am in the morning.

To assume your wait was because the "doctors and nurses were chatting" is incredibly self centered and insulting.

He already got caught lying lmao
Original post by Sisuphos
No it's not. It's probably a good system for some things and a really bad system for other things. Depends on what you need. I was on a waiting list for ADHD assessment for months (10 months?). Ruined the year waiting with no help whatever.

That really, really sucks. 10 months just to get a proper assessment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by BWV1007
That really, really sucks. 10 months just to get a proper assessment.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't know if you're being sarcastic but I missed a year at uni and had to go private to get an assessment and treatment.
Original post by SmashConcept
He already got caught lying lmao

lol "lying"? I've obviously miscommunicated the extent of that inebriation if you're calling it a lie - I had 5 drinks. I was drunk but I wasn't any worse than anybody else that evening (and I already told dorian that) - I wasn't a mess. I was out with my friends having a perfectly normal night out, so obviously I was tipsy and inebriated (i.e. "intoxicated"]. the person who punched me was apparently dangerously drunk as the police told me. this was on CCTV. I only began being on the defensive about not being completely black-out wasted~ (because I wasn't) because dorian said that was the *reason* I was hurt. I was on my way home and somebody came up to me and punches me and I didn't say anything to provoke it. I don't know what more you want me to tell you - and how I got punched doesn't even account for the NHS making me wait 6 hours - you really think if a person's been knocked out, whether drunk or not, they're just going to treat them based on something like that? this is why I really can't take you seriously at all because it literally is victim blaming - it's like saying a woman who wears revealing clothing alone in a dark street has it coming if she's raped. that's literally true if you're saying "any amount of alcohol = you deserve to get beaten up for drinking"
(edited 8 years ago)
lol "amazing". :teehee:
lol "lying"? I've obviously miscommunicated the extent of that inebriation if you're calling it a lie - I had 5 drinks. I was drunk but I wasn't any worse than anybody else that evening (and I already told dorian that) - I wasn't a mess. I was out with my friends having a perfectly normal night out, so obviously I was tipsy and inebriated (i.e. "intoxicated"]. the person who punched me was apparently dangerously drunk as the police told me. this was on CCTV. I only began being on the defensive about not being completely black-out wasted~ (because I wasn't) because dorian said that was the *reason* I was hurt. I was on my way home and somebody came up to me and punches me and I didn't say anything to provoke it. I don't know what more you want me to tell you - and how I got punched doesn't even account for the NHS making me wait 6 hours - you really think if a person's been knocked out, whether drunk or not, they're just going to treat them based on something like that? this is why I really can't take you seriously at all because it literally is victim blaming - it's like saying a woman who wears revealing clothing alone in a dark street has it coming if she's raped. that's literally true if you're saying "any amount of alcohol = you deserve to get beaten up for drinking"

Honestly at this point you should just post the CCTV video because it sounds really funny ngl
Original post by SmashConcept
Honestly at this point you should just post the CCTV video because it sounds really funny ngl

you're really sad - thinking that it's funny just because you disagree with me politically. wow.
you're really sad - thinking that it's funny just because you disagree with me politically. wow.

I don't have an opinion on whatever you think about politics.

Quick Reply

Latest