The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website

Richmond University accreditation review

I am a prospective student, and I am about to apply to Richmond university. I quite liked the fact of the dually recognition, but after I started getting worry about how it works . Literally, on their website they say, that they are not under US uni laws let's say but not under britist uni laws (sorry can't explain) so now I'm lite they are under nothing. So is it a good university or not?
No it is not a good university, nobody in the UK will have heard of it. Waste of money.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website
I completely disagree with Snufkin. I've also applied to it and can say that I had the same concern as you. I asked the same question, though I got a completely different answer.

Original post by PQ
there's no reason to be concerned about reputation. Richmond is well established and well understood as a recognised HE provider.

And to quote Richmond themselves on the subject:

'
Richmond, the American International University in London holds independent accreditation from three separate agencies. The university has earned US accreditation from The Middle States Commission on Higher Education. Richmond is approved by The Open University as an appropriate organization to offer higher education programs leading to Open University Validated Awards.'
Reply 3
Thank you so much for this other perception of the university.
Original post by similarBlank
I completely disagree with Snufkin. I've also applied to it and can say that I had the same concern as you. I asked the same question, though I got a completely different answer.

And to quote Richmond themselves on the subject:

'
Richmond, the American International University in London holds independent accreditation from three separate agencies. The university has earned US accreditation from The Middle States Commission on Higher Education. Richmond is approved by The Open University as an appropriate organization to offer higher education programs leading to Open University Validated Awards.'

Of course Richmond is going to tell you they're great. :lol: I suggest you do some proper research before telling applicants Richmond is good value for money/respected, it is neither. Alarm bells should be ringing if you're considering attending a university which boasts about being accredited.
Reply 5
What do you mean by "Alarm bells should be ringing... Being accredited"? Other universities do it as well. When they say for example that they have been awarded for student life by something. But there's a lot of poll tables available. So it's confusing... At least for me.
Your opinions is good though, making me think about it. Thanks.
Original post by ElsMoll
What do you mean by "Alarm bells should be ringing... Being accredited"? Other universities do it as well. When they say for example that they have been awarded for student life by something. But there's a lot of poll tables available. So it's confusing... At least for me.
Your opinions is good though, making me think about it. Thanks.

I mean you should expect to go to a university that is accredited, that is the absolute minimum standard which all universities have to meet. The fact that Richmond boasts about it suggests they have little else to offer.
Reply 7
Original post by Snufkin
I mean you should expect to go to a university that is accredited, that is the absolute minimum standard which all universities have to meet. The fact that Richmond boasts about it suggests they have little else to offer.

Ok thanks
Original post by Snufkin
Of course Richmond is going to tell you they're great. :lol: I suggest you do some proper research before telling applicants Richmond is good value for money/respected, it is neither. Alarm bells should be ringing if you're considering attending a university which boasts about being accredited.

Well, considering I'm also an applicant, I think I've done some proper research on the University. :P Of course they're going to tell you they're accredited. Richmond is completely unique in being an American University in Britain. If someone says "there's an American University in Britain" you'd think 'Well, I wonder if they're accredited in Britain or America?' It, thus, attempts to dissipate these worries by clearly saying it is accredited in both America and Britain. Furthermore, that's just another reason to "boast" about it. It's the only University in Britain to offer degrees that are accredited in both these countries and that's something very unique so of course they're going to boast about it. It's practically one of their top selling points.

As for whether it's good value, I'll quote myself from another post I made:

'I have actually worked out that Richmond is, if anything, CHEAPER than the average British University.

Here's why (I've rounded up the numbers.):

Richmond tuition fee: £9000 + Richmond double room fee (Including meal plan, etc.): £7000 = £16000

SFE Tuition loan: £6000 + SFE Maintenance loan: £10000 = £16000

Most people have no idea about this University and don't really care. They hear 'private university' and think it's for rich snobs or something and that you have to pay up thousands of Pounds up front. This is complete rubbish, as someone who has actually bothered to look into this University, I tell you. I'm completely skint so I certainly wouldn't be able to go if you had to pay your own money up front. When you counter in the fact that Richmond has excellent services and facilities it seems far better value than an ordinary University. Plus, you're essentially getting two degrees what with accredation in America and Britain, which is very unique.'
Well, considering I'm also an applicant, I think I've done some proper research on the University. :P Of course they're going to tell you they're accredited. Richmond is completely unique in being an American University in Britain. If someone says "there's an American University in Britain" you'd think 'Well, I wonder if they're accredited in Britain or America?' It, thus, attempts to dissipate these worries by clearly saying it is accredited in both America and Britain. Furthermore, that's just another reason to "boast" about it. It's the only University in Britain to offer degrees that are accredited in both these countries and that's something very unique so of course they're going to boast about it. It's practically one of their top selling points.

As for whether it's good value, I'll quote myself from another post I made:

'I have actually worked out that Richmond is, if anything, CHEAPER than the average British University.

Here's why (I've rounded up the numbers.):

Richmond tuition fee: £9000 + Richmond double room fee (Including meal plan, etc.): £7000 = £16000

SFE Tuition loan: £6000 + SFE Maintenance loan: £10000 = £16000

Most people have no idea about this University and don't really care. They hear 'private university' and think it's for rich snobs or something and that you have to pay up thousands of Pounds up front. This is complete rubbish, as someone who has actually bothered to look into this University, I tell you. I'm completely skint so I certainly wouldn't be able to go if you had to pay your own money up front. When you counter in the fact that Richmond has excellent services and facilities it seems far better value than an ordinary University. Plus, you're essentially getting two degrees what with accredation in America and Britain, which is very unique.'

It's their only selling point, and not even a very good one at that. Richmond may well be accredited in the UK and the US, but so what? Are you suggesting American employers don't hire people with degrees from any other British university? :rolleyes:

It isn't cheaper? :confused:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Snufkin
It's their only selling point, and not even a very good one at that. Richmond may well be accredited in the UK and the US, but so what? Are you suggesting American employers don't hire people with degrees from any other British university? :rolleyes:

It isn't cheaper? :confused:

Either way, it's something no other University can claim, right? :wink: How much is accomodation per year in a normal British university? Just curious, I don't know.
Either way, it's something no other University can claim, right? :wink: How much is accomodation per year in a normal British university? Just curious, I don't know.

Have you considered there might be a reason why no other British university has applied for American accreditation and claimed this (meaningless) accolade for themselves? I don't know the average cost of housing.
Original post by Snufkin
Have you considered there might be a reason why no other British university has applied for American accreditation and claimed this (meaningless) accolade for themselves? I don't know the average cost of housing.

I assume because they're British universities and thus wouldn't be eligible for it.
I assume because they're British universities and thus wouldn't be eligible for it.

That does not appear to be the case. https://www.msche.org/Institutions_Directory.asp
Original post by Snufkin
That does not appear to be the case. https://www.msche.org/Institutions_Directory.asp

I there a specific section or something you're specifically referring to, I had a look and from what I saw:

Is there a section defining eligiblity or something?
Richmond is completely unknown in both the U.K. and the U.S. Regardless of where it is accredited.
I there a specific section or something you're specifically referring to, I had a look and from what I saw:

Is there a section defining eligiblity or something?

Click overseas. It says as well as Richmond, the Open University and London Met are also accredited. If London Met can get accredited then so could every other UK uni, they just choose not to.
Original post by Snufkin
Click overseas. It says as well as Richmond, the Open University and London Met are also accredited. If London Met can get accredited then so could every other UK uni, they just choose not to.

Well, I guess other UK Universities aren't trying to emulate American ones?

Does Richmond have the same accreditation as normal UK Universities though? As far as I know it does?

Quick Reply

Latest