The Student Room Group

Does anyone else here have GERD?

Gastro Esophagal Reflux Disease?
Is it common? :frown:
It's very common!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
I have it too. Suffered with it for about 3 years now. I take omeprazole for it but I'm on a break from meds for it and touch wood, it's settled down. I find it gets worse at night and chocolate really makes it worse though during a bad flare up of it, it feels like even water can make it worse.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got diagnosed with it a few weeks ago but have been suffering symptoms for over a year now. Tea and tomatoes are my biggest trigger foods. I love pizza and tea so still have them sometimes. :colondollar:

Taking omeprazole but it doesn't seem to help so going to ask to try something else.

Posted from TSR Mobile
u need more salt

its caused by weak stomach acid...which makes ur esophageal sphincter relax...food doesnt get digested in ur small intestines...then rots...producin lactic acid...which burns u

hydrochloric acid is made of sodium chloride....

so go get some
Original post by Latin Beauty
u need more salt

its caused by weak stomach acid...which makes ur esophageal sphincter relax...food doesnt get digested in ur small intestines...then rots...producin lactic acid...which burns u

so go get some

This is wrong. GORD is caused by stomach acid coming up into the oesophagus and irritating it. The reasons for this are multiple - quite often, it's to do with increased pressure in the abdomen which pushes up the contents of the stomach (e.g. in someone who pregnant or overweight). It can also occur in conditions where gastric acid is more acidic (e.g. Zollinger-Ellison syndrome). Not sure where you got your theory from, Latin Beauty...
Original post by Anonymous
This is wrong. GORD is caused by stomach acid coming up into the oesophagus and irritating it. The reasons for this are multiple - quite often, it's to do with increased pressure in the abdomen which pushes up the contents of the stomach (e.g. in someone who pregnant or overweight). It can also occur in conditions where gastric acid is more acidic (e.g. Zollinger-Ellison syndrome). Not sure where you got your theory from, Latin Beauty...

this must be some kid who just got outta medicine class lmao

no wonder u posted on anon u know ur wrong but ur just takin a shot...but lemme tell u....u are wrong....lmao

http://www.theholykale.com/2011/12/acid-reflux-natural-treatment/

When acid reflux occurs, it is actually due to low stomach acid (HCL) or alchlorhydria, which is an extremely common condition today. The majority of people are not producing enough stomach acid which is often the result of overeating highly cooked; processed, and animal-sourced foods. These types of food choices require a high amount of hydrochloric acid to digest them, and unfortunately overtime, we are no longer able to produce adequate amounts to properly digest them. As a result, the food begins to create lactic acid which is the true cause of the burning sensation that is known as acid reflux or heartburn.

http://www.totalhealthsecrets.com/ENGLISH/catalog/collection_display.php?product_c ollections_id=94

Heartburn and acid reflux are actually caused by a lack of HCL. Without enough HCL, the food rots and produces lactic acid which can cause the acid reflux. Anti-acids actually make the condition worse. HCL addresses the cause by helping to digest the meal properly.

this is the evidence...enough talkin junior

[video]https://youtu.be/RRuFSvP1QtA[/video]

thats three sources

dont listen to this anon quack....they are dangerous people and can possibly get u killed from bad science
(edited 8 years ago)
this must be some kid who just got outta medicine class lmao

no wonder u posted on anon u know ur wrong but ur just takin a shot...but lemme tell u....u are wrong....lmao

http://www.theholykale.com/2011/12/acid-reflux-natural-treatment/

When acid reflux occurs, it is actually due to low stomach acid (HCL) or alchlorhydria, which is an extremely common condition today. The majority of people are not producing enough stomach acid which is often the result of overeating highly cooked; processed, and animal-sourced foods. These types of food choices require a high amount of hydrochloric acid to digest them, and unfortunately overtime, we are no longer able to produce adequate amounts to properly digest them. As a result, the food begins to create lactic acid which is the true cause of the burning sensation that is known as acid reflux or heartburn.

http://www.totalhealthsecrets.com/ENGLISH/catalog/collection_display.php?product_c ollections_id=94

Heartburn and acid reflux are actually caused by a lack of HCL. Without enough HCL, the food rots and produces lactic acid which can cause the acid reflux. Anti-acids actually make the condition worse. HCL addresses the cause by helping to digest the meal properly.

this is the evidence...enough talkin junior

[video]https://youtu.be/RRuFSvP1QtA[/video]

thats three sources

dont listen to this anon quack....they are dangerous people and can possibly get u killed from bad science

That's 3 pseudoscience sources :wink: Post a link to a research paper implicating the above, and it might sound believable
That's 3 pseudoscience sources :wink: Post a link to a research paper implicating the above, and it might sound believable

denying facts with no counter

u lose
u need more salt

so go get some

Might wanna rethink this bit mate...
u need more salt

so go get some

:lolwut:

Some very credible sources there. :teehee:
Original post by Sabertooth
I got diagnosed with it a few weeks ago but have been suffering symptoms for over a year now. Tea and tomatoes are my biggest trigger foods. I love pizza and tea so still have them sometimes. :colondollar:

Taking omeprazole but it doesn't seem to help so going to ask to try something else.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I've been taking omeprazole for almost a week since I got diagnosed with gastritis and I get symptoms of acid reflux with that, any idea how long it's supposed to take to work? I don't feel quite as bad as I did before but I still can't eat much and I feel sick a lot after eating and lying down when I go to bed.
I've been taking omeprazole for almost a week since I got diagnosed with gastritis and I get symptoms of acid reflux with that, any idea how long it's supposed to take to work? I don't feel quite as bad as I did before but I still can't eat much and I feel sick a lot after eating and lying down when I go to bed.

I've been on it about 4 weeks and it is actually helping more now than it was when I posted that. I'm also taking carafate to help repair the damaged esophageal lining.

I was told to eat small meals multiple times a day rather than big ones and this helps too.

When you go to sleep I recommend trying to lie on your left side - it elevates the entrance to the stomach more and can stop you feeling so bad.

Just saw your other post: I'm on 40mg/day extended release. So maybe talk to your doc about increasing the dose if you don't see any improvement soon.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest