The Student Room Group

Can I do medicine at Oxford?!

Poll

Can I Do it?

Hello!
I have been really worrying lately about if I am able to do medicine at Oxford (or tbh, almost any uni) or not and wether or not to apply. I haven't got 11 A*s (I have 8 A*s and 2 As) and although I am doing Chemistry and Biology A-level I am doing Art as my third subject! Art is widely considered not so academic although makes me well rebounded. (And English AS). I am currently in year 12 with a prediction of chem- A, bio-A*, Art-A* and Eng.Lit AS- A. I'm just not very special or a genius, I just really want to get on the course. I have some work experience and I volunteer in a care home but again, nothing special. Could anyone give me any advice if you have any good information? Maybe even on how to make my application shine. If I really can't go to medical school I am considering taking an Art foundation year and then possible pursuing illustration because I like to draw. Although I'd rather be a doctor, I might just not be so cut out for it. And the work load and hours is slightly INSANE!! :biggrin:
Thank you for any answers! :smile:
Hi,

I don't know much about this subject.

I suggest you post your question here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3823629&page=22

Those kids may be able to give you some advice. Good luck.
Original post by Emily Rhiannon
Hello!
I have been really worrying lately about if I am able to do medicine at Oxford (or tbh, almost any uni) or not and wether or not to apply. I haven't got 11 A*s (I have 8 A*s and 2 As) and although I am doing Chemistry and Biology A-level I am doing Art as my third subject! Art is widely considered not so academic although makes me well rebounded. (And English AS). I am currently in year 12 with a prediction of chem- A, bio-A*, Art-A* and Eng.Lit AS- A. I'm just not very special or a genius, I just really want to get on the course. I have some work experience and I volunteer in a care home but again, nothing special. Could anyone give me any advice if you have any good information? Maybe even on how to make my application shine. If I really can't go to medical school I am considering taking an Art foundation year and then possible pursuing illustration because I like to draw. Although I'd rather be a doctor, I might just not be so cut out for it. And the work load and hours is slightly INSANE!! :biggrin:

How did you get 8A*'s and 2A's?
Hello!

Have you looked at the entry requirements for Oxford? I'm not 100% sure but I remember a friend telling me she couldn't apply to do medicine at Oxford because she hadn't done maths but not all uni's require you to have done maths at A-Level.

And in the same way you just said Art makes you well rounded, use that to your advantage!

You've got decent GCSE's and excellent A-Level predictions, so in terms of academic requirements, you're all set. And no one is special or a genius, trust me. When it comes to medical students, everyone's super smart and got loads of As and A*s.

If you don't think you're cut out for it, maybe take a gap year and get a job in the hospital to see if you can cope.

Advice? Well, I'm only a fellow year 12 hopeful medic but ask any current medical students and doctors if they have any advice if you ever bump into one of them. Also, focus on your AS levels, apply to your strengths, get advice super good UKCAT/BMAT and lots of work experience and hopefully you'll get in.

Also, if you've had any personal experience with illness/ the NHS - include it if you're ok with it - it'll make you stand out

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nomophobia
Have you looked at the entry requirements for Oxford? I'm not 100% sure but I remember a friend telling me she couldn't apply to do medicine at Oxford because she hadn't done maths but not all uni's require you to have done maths at A-Level.

You don't need maths to do medicine at oxford. Or any university, with the sole exception of Cambridge.
Original post by zXcodeXz
How did you get 8A*'s and 2A's?

More hard work than it was possibly worth!!
Original post by nomophobia

And in the same way you just said Art makes you well rounded, use that to your advantage!

You've got decent GCSE's and excellent A-Level predictions, so in terms of academic requirements, you're all set. And no one is special or a genius, trust me. When it comes to medical students, everyone's super smart and got loads of As and A*s.

If you don't think you're cut out for it, maybe take a gap year and get a job in the hospital to see if you can cope.

Advice? Well, I'm only a fellow year 12 hopeful medic but ask any current medical students and doctors if they have any advice if you ever bump into one of them. Also, focus on your AS levels, apply to your strengths, get advice super good UKCAT/BMAT and lots of work experience and hopefully you'll get in.

Also, if you've had any personal experience with illness/ the NHS - include it if you're ok with it - it'll make you stand out

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you so much for your help, that was actually really helpful. :smile: Good luck with your application too!!! xx
Original post by nexttime
You don't need maths to do medicine at oxford. Or any university, with the sole exception of Cambridge.

Yeh I know :smile: Stupid Cambrigde! :P x
More hard work than it was possibly worth!!

Oh wow that's really good though!

Thanks! That was exactly what I needed; answered quite a few of my questions :smile:
Stupid Cambrigde!

Kek.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending