The Student Room Group

Can't Visit Any University Open Days

I'm having trouble with arranging to visit universities. I plan to start in September 2017 and my first 2 choices are Brighton and Liverpool, while others include Manchester and Bournemouth. I just cannot get to any of the open days. My parents can't take me as they're too busy and none of my friends want to go. They're also a bit of a trek away so I'd probably have to stay overnight somewhere and I can't really do that by myself. The best I've got is a Brighton University Open Day at Hastings for all campus courses which I could go to while my dad stays in Tonbridge with my step mum but I'd have to go by myself. Would that look silly? As for my other choices like Liverpool and Manchester, if I can't go would that really matter? I am confident I would like them but I just need to clarify if they are a must? How else do I visit them?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Alternatively, could I wait for an applicant day?
Original post by GeorgeB16
Alternatively, could I wait for an applicant day?

Sure, or you could look on some websites which have a tour of the places...
Reply 3
I'm having trouble with arranging to visit universities. I plan to start in September 2017 and my first 2 choices are Brighton and Liverpool, while others include Manchester and Bournemouth. I just cannot get to any of the open days. My parents can't take me as they're too busy and none of my friends want to go. They're also a bit of a trek away so I'd probably have to stay overnight somewhere and I can't really do that by myself. The best I've got is a Brighton University Open Day at Hastings for all campus courses which I could go to while my dad stays in Tonbridge with my step mum but I'd have to go by myself. Would that look silly? As for my other choices like Liverpool and Manchester, if I can't go would that really matter? I am confident I would like them but I just need to clarify if they are a must? How else do I visit them?

Don't worry about the open days. In my opinion they're only helpful if you're stuck between more than 5 universities to apply to in the first place. I only went to one open day and went to 3 applicant days. The applicant days are so much more helpful and personalised and a variety of dates are offered to you if you do receive an offer. Also, as there's so many more people at an open day I found it quite intimidating to talk to the lecturers. At the applicant day, they know you have an offer so they're much more enthusiastic and helpful as ultimately, they're trying to snap you up.

There are also some virtual tours, often lots of videos on youtube if you search for the university and you can always email your subject department. Some universities also do campus tours if you can't make the open days which might be a better date for your parents? However, this means you wouldn't be able to see your specific department.

Sidenote: On the open days I found lots of people were with parents whereas on the applicant days there were always people that came on their own, so if organisation with parents is an issue an applicant day will be fine.

If you are struggling with choosing which Universities to apply for though, I would encourage going to look at the ones you're stuck between. Otherwise, applicant days are the way forward!

Good luck with your application! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by meloj
Don't worry about the open days. In my opinion they're only helpful if you're stuck between more than 5 universities to apply to in the first place. I only went to one open day and went to 3 applicant days. The applicant days are so much more helpful and personalised and a variety of dates are offered to you if you do receive an offer. Also, as there's so many more people at an open day I found it quite intimidating to talk to the lecturers. At the applicant day, they know you have an offer so they're much more enthusiastic and helpful as ultimately, they're trying to snap you up.

There are also some virtual tours, often lots of videos on youtube if you search for the university and you can always email your subject department. Some universities also do campus tours if you can't make the open days which might be a better date for your parents? However, this means you wouldn't be able to see your specific department.

Sidenote: On the open days I found lots of people were with parents whereas on the applicant days there were always people that came on their own, so if organisation with parents is an issue an applicant day will be fine.

If you are struggling with choosing which Universities to apply for though, I would encourage going to look at the ones you're stuck between. Otherwise, applicant days are the way forward!

Good luck with your application! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Would they take into account on my application that I didn't visit an open day? Or should I lie and say I did anyway, would they know?
Reply 5
Google Maps - street view.
Reply 6
Would they take into account on my application that I didn't visit an open day? Or should I lie and say I did anyway, would they know?

There is nowhere on the application that you have to state whether you went to an open day and they definitely won't check. It's natural that some applicants won't be able to attend any of the open day dates anyway. You don't need to mention any of that at all. I hadn't visited 4/5 of the Universities I applied for.

Also, if anything, it's more important for you to go to the applicant day to make yourself known. They had a one-on-one chat at all of the applicant days I went to where they say they want to know a little more about you, and also provide an opportunity for you to ask any questions. They send lots of emails about applicant days when you get an offer too, so I found that for the one uni that I'd already visited it felt rude to ignore them as I'd already seen it. It can be a pain to have to pay to travel to the Universities for both the open and the applicant day so there is no harm at all in not going.

It sounds an awful lot like I'm trying to talk you out of it, which I'm not, if you want to go then make sure you visit them as it can be helpful for some people. Especially if you're looking to know more about the uni as a whole rather than the course. I remember being in the same position as you and stressing as I hadn't visited the majority of them when I applied, so I'm just trying to assure you there is no reason for you to worry at all if you can't attend. There are plenty of options after this to visit the Uni's, however make sure you do you have a strong chance of liking them before you apply, so do a good bit of research!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Find a day when you can arrange an informal visit . Its good just to have a look at the place you might study and live for three years. Open days wont affect your application. Applicant days, unlikely, but its useful to be able to put a face to an application.
Reply 8
Original post by meloj
There is nowhere on the application that you have to state whether you went to an open day and they definitely won't check. It's natural that some applicants won't be able to attend any of the open day dates anyway. You don't need to mention any of that at all. I hadn't visited 4/5 of the Universities I applied for.

Also, if anything, it's more important for you to go to the applicant day to make yourself known. They had a one-on-one chat at all of the applicant days I went to where they say they want to know a little more about you, and also provide an opportunity for you to ask any questions. They send lots of emails about applicant days when you get an offer too, so I found that for the one uni that I'd already visited it felt rude to ignore them as I'd already seen it. It can be a pain to have to pay to travel to the Universities for both the open and the applicant day so there is no harm at all in not going.

It sounds an awful lot like I'm trying to talk you out of it, which I'm not, if you want to go then make sure you visit them as it can be helpful for some people. Especially if you're looking to know more about the uni as a whole rather than the course. I remember being in the same position as you and stressing as I hadn't visited the majority of them when I applied, so I'm just trying to assure you there is no reason for you to worry at all if you can't attend. There are plenty of options after this to visit the Uni's, however make sure you do you have a strong chance of liking them before you apply, so do a good bit of research!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for that that's helped me a bit. I have a strong liking for all my choices and I definitely don't mind visiting applicant days it's just the opens days are a bit of an inconvenience

Posted from TSR Mobile
but I'd have to go by myself. Would that look silly?

Going by yourself is totally normal. As for the travel, can't you just take the train?
Reply 10
I could take the train and go there by myself, I think I would just feel silly while there

When i was in collage they orgnied trips for open days go to your student union and ask

Hello George!

Bournemouth university have open days in June which gives you time to plan if you want to visit :-)

https://www1.bournemouth.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/meet-us/open-days

Also, i would absolutely recomend going to an open day. Considering that you will be studying there for 3 years it's important that you know exactly what you're getting yourself into. Also, you can ask other students about their experiences and get a better idea of what your chosen course and uni is like :-) And about going with parents, when i was an applicant i went to quite a few open days alone, so i can assure you it won't look silly at all ;-) If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

- Chereen
Reply 13
Original post by reenmachine
Hello George!

Bournemouth university have open days in June which gives you time to plan if you want to visit :-)

https://www1.bournemouth.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/meet-us/open-days

Also, i would absolutely recomend going to an open day. Considering that you will be studying there for 3 years it's important that you know exactly what you're getting yourself into. Also, you can ask other students about their experiences and get a better idea of what your chosen course and uni is like :-) And about going with parents, when i was an applicant i went to quite a few open days alone, so i can assure you it won't look silly at all ;-) If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

- Chereen

Thank you so much for that. It has helped me decide and now I would feel less silly if I went to an open day by myself. I'll have a good look around and consider a 16-25 railcard and get myself there!
Reply 14
Original post by New- Emperor
When i was in collage they orgnied trips for open days go to your student union and ask

My sixth form doesn't do anything like that. The best they do is put posters up of differing universities and they tell us to visit lectures but they never organize any trips for us that would actually be of use.

just don't mention it it's not a huge issue applicant days however you want to go to those it's very important.
Tbh, I went to a few open days and i didnt find them any more helpful than researching online and asking around on TSR.

i think though it is always good to see in the uni in person as you will be spending the next 3+ years there and so you would want to have a feel for the place.

you have plenty of time to see the uni and I would advise just picking any random day where your parents are available to come, and just go for a walk round the campus and the local area.

Hope this helps !
Reply 17
Original post by evalilyXOX
Tbh, I went to a few open days and i didnt find them any more helpful than researching online and asking around on TSR.

i think though it is always good to see in the uni in person as you will be spending the next 3+ years there and so you would want to have a feel for the place.

you have plenty of time to see the uni and I would advise just picking any random day where your parents are available to come, and just go for a walk round the campus and the local area.

Hope this helps !

I will definitely go to the applicant days. Shall I give open days a miss? I am so committed to moving away from my local area I would quite frankly go anywhere?
I will definitely go to the applicant days. Shall I give open days a miss? I am so committed to moving away from my local area I would quite frankly go anywhere?

I mean if you want to go to them then go, but if you cant make it then dont feel like you have missed out on a whole lot
Reply 19

I live in Hastings and there's some uncertainty about whether the campus in town will even be staying open for much longer so don't put too much stock into that.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending