The Student Room Group

Stuck on an isomer question

1460314572618-405711174.jpg hi, I would like some help with this question please. I can't find x as I can't tell the difference between those isomers. Thanks.
Original post by coconut64
1460314572618-405711174.jpg hi, I would like some help with this question please. I can't find x as I can't tell the difference between those isomers. Thanks.

I believe is D.
D is a Z isomer whilst A, B,C is a E isomer

Original post by darkrep97
I believe is D.

i agree i think it's D because it's a z-isomer
Reply 3
I believe is D.

Yes it is D indeed but how can you tell so quickly? I was very confused by this and didn't know what to look for. Thanks.
Reply 4
Original post by thefatone
i agree i think it's D because it's a z-isomer

Oh yes, I can see it now. But I am slightly confused about the structure. I didn't know if you could have CClH2 on one side. Normally it is just CH3. So CClH2 can also be a group? Thanks.
Yes it is D indeed but how can you tell so quickly? I was very confused by this and didn't know what to look for. Thanks.

I just looked at each one and from the way all of the isomer were drawn I could tell it was about geometrical isomerism. Then I looked at each one. D was the only one that had Cl and CH2Cl on the same side, thus that one must have been the answear.
Oh yes, I can see it now. But I am slightly confused about the structure. I didn't know if you could have CClH2 on one side. Normally it is just CH3. So CClH2 can also be a group? Thanks.

yes?

Yeah C can have up to 4 bonds. It could've also been CCl3 or ChCl2
Reply 8
I just looked at each one and from the way all of the isomer were drawn I could tell it was about geometrical isomerism. Then I looked at each one. D was the only one that had Cl and CH2Cl on the same side, thus that one must have been the answear.

I can see it now thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest