The Student Room Group

What sexism have you experienced personally? (male & female)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by loveleest
You was interested in a woman's body as a little kid? bit weird, but um okay.

Well teenage boys should be able to control their own sexual urges and learn how to stop viewing women's legs as sexual to the point that they can't concentrate in class.
So because boys view women's legs as sexual, this should result as a school girl missing out on her education for wearing a skirt 1cm aboveher knee? That doesn't sound quite fair too me.

In the real working world women would not be sacked for wearing short skirts. I see teachers at my school with skirts half the lenght that the girls in my school get sent home for. How is that fair? Are we going to go to the teachers and tell them to "dress modestly?"

In the real working world there are dress codes we all must adhere to. I can't go to work wearing shorts and a T-shirt just like a woman can't wear a mini skirt and a t-shirt (depending on where you work).

I have nothing against either of the two, however dress codes are dress codes and the only way to change them is to take it up with your boss (in case of schools, your headteacher or maybe a petition).

I don't know the rules for skirts in school and their length, I remember in my secondary school girls use to wear short skirts all the time. Never had one been sent home because of it and from my understanding (I was headboy you know :wink:) no boys ever complained about them being either.
Original post by banterboy
SO your solution to puberty and boy's education needs is to "make them stop finding girls body's attractive". Got it.

Can hardly comprehend the entitlement here. The universe does not let me where whatever I want in an academic setting. I have to follow rules. im so oppressssedd!

Meanwhile, in reality, men don't have an ounce of the clothing choose women are afforded in the workplace, and it's a suit and tie in all weathers. And, in case you haven't noticed, trousers are lower down than skirts, so...your complaint that you aren't allowed to show your thighs hardly holds water when we're nto even allowed to show our calves.

Seriously grow up, and stop expecting everything to go your way because you're a pampered little princess and the universe must be just so.

lmfao. I love how I am just trying to calmly explain a point and yet you have insulted me by saying that I am a "pampered little princess trying to get my way" Who said this was about me? I am speaking behalf of what my female peers think and what they have told me. I actually don't wear skirts to school but thanks for that conclusion.

If they want to make rules, then fine. It should be applicable for teachers aswell, idc. They are still in the same working environment as us. If a teacher can wear a skirt way above her knee then so should I. Is the teacher distracting her male students and male teachrrs? oh, I doubt anyone would say or even think about that.
But then if a teacher wears it, nobody screams..."Dress modestly!" "Set a good example for the students" Do they? It's like all the rules get flushed away as soon as it comes to the teachers.
Original post by Optimum_
In the real working world there are dress codes we all must adhere to. I can't go to work wearing shorts and a T-shirt just like a woman can't wear a mini skirt and a t-shirt (depending on where you work).

I have nothing against either of the two, however dress codes are dress codes and the only way to change them is to take it up with your boss (in case of schools, your headteacher or maybe a petition).

I don't know the rules for skirts in school and their length, I remember in my secondary school girls use to wear short skirts all the time. Never had one been sent home because of it and from my understanding (I was headboy you know :wink:) no boys ever complained about them being either.

There are teachers in my school that wear mini skirts, but I guess it depends what job you get into.
It was calm when I was in secondary school, but I moved to a strict sixth form that complains about everything.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
A teenage boy is a bubbling socially inept bag of distracting hormones. Telling him he 'should be able to control his urges' to the point of not even being distracted is completely idiotic.

Do you realise how much like a child you sound, complaining that it's so unfair that a girl got into trouble for breaching the school's rules just a little bit?

edit:

Oh right. Sometimes I forget that some posters on here actually are children.

You'll realise in a few years just how silly it sounds to say things like 'well, the teachers get to do x, so why can't we?!'.

What is so bloody sexual about a women's leg? I actually don't wear skirts to school at all, so this isn't an issue I am facing.

No ffs, I am saying that if they make rules it should be applicable to everyone including the teachers.
There are teachers in my school that wear mini skirts, but I guess it depends what job you get into.
It was calm when I was in secondary school, but I moved to a strict sixth form that complains about everything.

We had a teacher that use to dress like she was going on a night out. Bizarre.
We also had a teacher that always wore a thong, very visible too. Interesting.

I always wanted to leave the school but looking back they were fun times.
Reply 65
I moved from Italy to Bangladesh and studied grade 4,5 and half of 6 there. I started school like a week later than when it actually started. I went into my class and the guys started laughing at me (Lolz) and my teacher made me sit at the front because I was really short and everyone was gigantic. The guy next to me immediately moved his chair-table thing away from mine, I was like Dayumm.
Everytime there was a girl next to a boy, the boys would move their chair away.Over time, I saw more sexist acts, the guys would do childish things like if a girl touched them by accident they would be wiping off invisible dirt, etc..... Well time heals everything, after I came to the UK, all of a sudden all the guys turn mature and they hang out with girls etc, go to restaurants, take selfies, label girls as their bestfriends, etc. Like idek.
lmfao. I love how I am just trying to calmly explain a point and yet you have insulted me by saying that I am a "pampered little princess trying to get my way" Who said this was about me? I am speaking behalf of what my female peers think and what they have told me. I actually don't wear skirts to school but thanks for that conclusion.

If they want to make rules, then fine. It should be applicable for teachers aswell, idc. They are still in the same working environment as us. If a teacher can wear a skirt way above her knee then so should I. Is the teacher distracting her male students and male teachrrs? oh, I doubt anyone would say or even think about that.
But then if a teacher wears it, nobody screams..."Dress modestly!" "Set a good example for the students" Do they? It's like all the rules get flushed away as soon as it comes to the teachers.

Your point is ****ing retarded though.

Teachers are your superiors, they follow different rules. They can teach classes, doesn't mean you have the right to because "we're in the same working environment". That's a ridiculous point to make. brb, the Prime Minister's cleaners should get to determine fiscal policy coz "ooh they're in the same working environment". That reasoning leads to all manner of absurd conclusions.

Teacher don't generally wear shot skirts anyway.

I've been sent home for infringement of dress code dozens of times. It never once occurred to me to call that sexist.

To be honest, if i had a rule like that i could get rebel against, I'd probably wear short skirts as well. But I wouldn't cry foul because, gosh, my actions have consequences. It's almost like I'm not inherently special or more important than other people. Who'd of thought.
What is so bloody sexual about a women's leg? I actually don't wear skirts to school at all, so this isn't an issue I am facing.

No ffs, I am saying that if they make rules it should be applicable to everyone including the teachers.

Why would the teachers be included in a rule about student dress?

There is a difference between a school's relationship with its staff and with its students. When you are dealing with students, you need a clear, solid rule that can be enforced easily and without ambiguity. This is because you have a large number of students who need to be kept in order; you don't have the resources to negotiate with students in every case and you couldn't rely on them to be reasonable in such an instance anyway. When you are dealing with staff, you step in if and when something becomes a problem serious enough to justify interference, and deal with it on a case by case basis. You can take this approach because (a) there are fewer teachers, and (b) being adult employees they can be counted on to be more reasonable in their conduct.

Even if the rule should be applicable to teachers, in the case that's been in discussion throughout the thread it wasn't a teacher in issue. The rule was in force, at least, for students, and, in that instance, it was enforced against a student, so all of this seems rather by the by to me.
I've not experienced any tbh but I've heard loads of horror stories :colonhash:

Like how girls are deprived of their human rights by many of the world's cultures.And what's worse is that an alarming % of the men seem to think that it's ok (e.g on religious grounds). It's just sickening :mad:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Ano9901whichone
None of those things mentioned are sexist.

Well yes.. The assumptions arise as a result of my gender.
Original post by banterboy
Your point is ****ing retarded though.

Teachers are your superiors, they follow different rules. They can teach classes, doesn't mean you have the right to because "we're in the same working environment". That's a ridiculous point to make. brb, the Prime Minister's cleaners should get to determine fiscal policy coz "ooh they're in the same working environment". That reasoning leads to all manner of absurd conclusions.

Teacher don't generally wear shot skirts anyway.

I've been sent home for infringement of dress code dozens of times. It never once occurred to me to call that sexist.

To be honest, if i had a rule like that i could get rebel against, I'd probably wear short skirts as well. But I wouldn't cry foul because, gosh, my actions have consequences. It's almost like I'm not inherently special or more important than other people. Who'd of thought.

yawn. I am not here for you to be horrible to me, if you can not intelligent enough to engage in a conversation without insults the don't bother replying :/

Anyway, I actually said that I dont wear skirts at all so I am speaking for the rights for girls concerning at my school. (They actually yold me the few points I made)

Teachers may be seen as superior. I could argue that teachers are supposed to be setting us an example and to teach us how to dress modestly. I am not against the rules of exactly but I see it as being promblematic at the same time.
There were a lot of teachers that wear short skirts in my sixth form.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by IFoundWonderland

Well yes.. The assumptions arise as a result of my gender.

Not necessarily. There are many variables that you not have accounted for. How can you just say that they are because of your gender?
In my old secondary school which was in the middle of the country the girls had an inside, heated changing room. The boys' one was, and I'm not exaggerating here, an old horse shed in the middle of a field, no heating or anything. Absolute disgrace.

Oops went and ate it anyway...
yawn. I am not here for you to be horrible to me, if you can not intelligent enough to engage in a conversation without insults the don't bother replying :/

Anyway, I actually said that I dont wear skirts at all so I am speaking for the rights for girls concerning at my school. (They actually yold me the few points I made)

Teachers may be seen as superior. I could argue that teachers are supposed to be setting us an example and to teach us how to dress modestly. I am not against the rules of exactly but I see it as being promblematic at the same time.
There were a lot of teachers that wear short skirts in my sixth form.

I am not insulting you, I'm insulting your position and the attitudes it arises from.
Original post by Ano9901whichone
Not necessarily. There are many variables that you not have accounted for. How can you just say that they are because of your gender?

"Girls aren't funny" "You need a man to lift that for you" "Young girls shouldn't be walking home in the dark by themselves" "Didn't expect you to know about this - why? - it's usually guys who talk about this stuff"

Original post by TimmonaPortella
Why would the teachers be included in a rule about student dress?

There is a difference between a school's relationship with its staff and with its students. When you are dealing with students, you need a clear, solid rule that can be enforced easily and without ambiguity. This is because you have a large number of students who need to be kept in order; you don't have the resources to negotiate with students in every case and you couldn't rely on them to be reasonable in such an instance anyway. When you are dealing with staff, you step in if and when something becomes a problem serious enough to justify interference, and deal with it on a case by case basis. You can take this approach because (a) there are fewer teachers, and (b) being adult employees they can be counted on to be more reasonable in their conduct.

Even if the rule should be applicable to teachers, in the case that's been in discussion throughout the thread it wasn't a teacher in issue. The rule was in force, at least, for students, and, in that instance, it was enforced against a student, so all of this seems rather by the by to me.

I guess teachers should be included because everytime I say that my school values dress codes over education, someone always says "well we need to teach girls how to dress modestly" "girls need to prepare for the future" So why aren't teachers judges for it then? I am not saying that they shouldn't bring the rules but to say it's to teach young girls about modesty is aburd to me when the teachers don't dress "modestly" themselves
Original post by EricPiphany
Girls make me feel uncomfortable when I look at their boobs. They're like 'my eyes are up here', like wtf I'm not retarded.

Spoiler

Umm my eyes are up here thank you
I guess teachers should be included because everytime I say that my school values dress codes over education, someone always says "well we need to teach girls how to dress modestly" "girls need to prepare for the future" So why aren't teachers judges for it then? I am not saying that they shouldn't bring the rules but to say it's to teach young girls about modesty is aburd to me when the teachers don't dress "modestly" themselves

Your school values dress codes as a means to education. They're trying to create an environment conducive to education. Part of that is making sure that how students decide to dress is not distracting, whether because it's provocative, or because it's different from others', or because it looks like it might get the wearer in trouble, or any other reason.

I do understand what you're saying, but from an administration point of view it's just not worth having the discussion with the teachers.
Original post by IFoundWonderland
"Girls aren't funny" "You need a man to lift that for you" "Young girls shouldn't be walking home in the dark by themselves" "Didn't expect you to know about this - why? - it's usually guys who talk about this stuff"

Girls are generally weaker than men. That's just biology.

Girls also generally have different interests from boys. If you want to blame someone for that, blame your fellow girls.

Quick Reply