The Student Room Group

UCAS adjustment when your results aren't above conditional offer

If your results aren't above (or too far below) the requirements of your firm choice, is it still possible to try UCAS adjustment?
Original post by CluelessAnxiety
If your results aren't above (or too far below) the requirements of your firm choice, is it still possible to try UCAS adjustment?

You need to exceed your firm to be eligible for adjustment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
If you get higher tha your firm you can go through adjustment; if you get lower and your firmed choice doesn't accept you then you can go through clearing

No. You're thinking of Clearing.
Original post by Jehaan
If you get higher tha your firm you can go through adjustment; if you get lower and your firmed choice doesn't accept you then you can go through clearing

But if I were only just below the requirements and still get accepted, or met the requirements exactly, would I be able to use adjustment or clearing?
But if I were only just below the requirements and still get accepted, or met the requirements exactly, would I be able to use adjustment or clearing?

In both you have to use clearing. It sounds like you are a bit uncertain about your firm choice ?

There are always options available if you're unhappy with your choices - but the sooner you start making changes the easier it is. If you wait until results day to even start the conversation then you're setting yourself up for a LOT of stress and hassle. Don't forget that arranging a uni in August also means sorting out accommodation at the very last minute too.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=15483-changing-your-mind-about-your-firm-or-insurance-choice explains what you can do at different stages.

There's actually a stage prior to the options mentioned on that page where you can swap firm and insurance choices *AS LONG AS YOU HAVE AGREEMENT FROM ALL UNIVERSITIES CONCERNED* The deadline for this is mid July and universities will usually be a lot more receptive to swaps at this point that after results.
Original post by JohnGreek
You wouldn't be able to use Adjustment.
You would be able to use Clearing if you met the conditions of your offer and turned it down on Results Day.

Applicants cannot turn down a confirmed place on Results day.

What they can do is ASK their firm university to place them into Clearing. That can take anything from 2 hours to 2 weeks to sort out.
Original post by PQ
Applicants cannot turn down a confirmed place on Results day.

What they can do is ASK their firm university to place them into Clearing. That can take anything from 2 hours to 2 weeks to sort out.

Thank you for the detailed reply. So before results day (early July for me) is it possible to ask, with a good reason, to be placed in clearing but still keep the offer if you can't find another place?
Thank you for the detailed reply. So before results day (early July for me) is it possible to ask, with a good reason, to be placed in clearing but still keep the offer if you can't find another place?

No

If you ask to be placed into Clearing you can't hold on to any other offers. Clearing and Extra are only available to people who do not hold any offers.

Which university's/courses are we talking about here and what reasons do you have?
Original post by PQ
No

If you ask to be placed into Clearing you can't hold on to any other offers. Clearing and Extra are only available to people who do not hold any offers.

Which university's/courses are we talking about here and what reasons do you have?

Durham as firm and UEA as insurance, but for personal reasons would prefer being closer to, if not at, Manchester or Leeds. So I'd have to give up all my offers and risk not getting a place anywhere?
Durham as firm and UEA as insurance, but for personal reasons would prefer being closer to, if not at, Manchester or Leeds. So I'd have to give up all my offers and risk not getting a place anywhere?

That's the risk yes.

However there's nothing to stop you contacting Manchester or Leeds now to ask about the possibility of switching. They may be able to offer you some reassurance so that you can give up your offers elsewhere.

Did you apply to either initially in your 5 choices?
Original post by PQ
That's the risk yes.

However there's nothing to stop you contacting Manchester or Leeds now to ask about the possibility of switching. They may be able to offer you some reassurance so that you can give up your offers elsewhere.

Did you apply to either initially in your 5 choices?

I did not apply to either, no, so I can still call them and ask if I have any options?
I did not apply to either, no, so I can still call them and ask if I have any options?

Yes still call them up - because you haven't applied they wont be able to see your application so you might need to supply more details directly.

Explain that you're having to look for somewhere geographically different due to personal reasons but don't want to formally get placed into Clearing without some reassurances.

Ask for and write down the name and job title of who you speak to, when you called the phone number you called and what they said. If they make any promises or you're unclear then ask if they can confirm what they've said in writing. That way you're likely to get the most accurate answers.

Quick Reply

Latest