The Student Room Group

Question regarding BTEC grades

Queens University says that for Computer Science, if I have an Level 3 Extended Diploma, I need 10 Distinctions and 8 Merits.

The Level 3 BTEC Extended Diploma in Computing that I am doing has 7 mandatory units and 6 optional ones, so 13 total. Is this particularly low for BTEC's? Would I need 13 Distinctions to have any hope of being accepted, or how does all this work?
Original post by wanderingmoon
Queens University says that for Computer Science, if I have an Level 3 Extended Diploma, I need 10 Distinctions and 8 Merits.

The Level 3 BTEC Extended Diploma in Computing that I am doing has 7 mandatory units and 6 optional ones, so 13 total. Is this particularly low for BTEC's? Would I need 13 Distinctions to have any hope of being accepted, or how does all this work?

I think you would get a different offer or that units are worth different credits to what they normally suggest.
Something is very odd here - as far as I know, the BTEC Extended Diploma always has 18 units (the diploma has 12, and the subsidiary diploma has 6)

Can you post a link to something that says your BTEC only has 13 units?
Reply 3
Original post by Origami Bullets
Something is very odd here - as far as I know, the BTEC Extended Diploma always has 18 units (the diploma has 12, and the subsidiary diploma has 6)

Can you post a link to something that says your BTEC only has 13 units?

Not always 18 units, it has to cover 180 credits which is usually done by 18 x 10 credit units, you can also have 5 and 20 credit units
Original post by yt7777
Not always 18 units, it has to cover 180 credits which is usually done by 18 x 10 credit units, you can also have 5 and 20 credit units

Ahh, that makes more sense (every day is a school day!)

I suspect, in that case, that the OP will need 100 credits at distinction and 80 at merit, but OP must not take my word for it - they need to speak to Queen's.
Sorry for the delayed reply, thanks for the information guys. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest