The Student Room Group

Explanation for high UCAS entry?

Cambridge has a average UCAS point entry standard of 601, and Oxford's is 577.

How???

Cambridge's is equivalent to AAAAA at A Level. 5 A Levels! 5! The average student has done 5 A Levels, and gotten A's in all of them?!

When I attended Cambridge's Law Masterclass yesterday, I didn't find anyone who was doing 5 A Levels. 4 at most, and that was rare!

Bearing this in mind, how can it be that they say their typical offer is A*AA?
Reply 1
Most people get above the entry requirements for example my friend was quite low when Cambridge ranked her UMS average at AS as ab got a *measly* 92% showing how everyone is extremely clever. Also bear in mind Cambridge offer holders tend to get more than one A* plus it's not just academics you get UCAS points from. You can also get them from being proficient in instruments and doing golds dofe
Because UCAS is not just a-levels but other things such as piano grade and stuff.

Also, international students tend to pull the tariffs up as many overseas exams are relatively more challenging yet Oxbridge don't set the requirement at the equivalent level so as to not be flooded with applicants.

For example, an A in UK's a-levels (second highest grade) was only a C in Hong Kong's a-levels (third highest grade) but Oxford set the requirement at 3 As for HK a-levels (which would be a requirement that is a level higher than A*A*A*).

On your other question - the typical offer is A*AA but it doesn't mean everyone has only A*AA in the end.
Original post by Jehaan
plus it's not just academics you get UCAS points from. You can also get them from being proficient in instruments and doing golds dofe

I didn't know that!

Do you know how many points you can get from those sorts of things?
Original post by Abstract_Prism
I didn't know that!

Do you know how many points you can get from those sorts of things?

https://www.ucas.com/ucas/undergraduate/getting-started/entry-requirements/tariff/tariff-tables
Reply 5
Original post by Jehaan
You can also get them from being proficient in instruments and doing golds dofe

Not DofE as such. But yes non-traditional qualifications do have points, including some for volunteering (ASDAN). Horse care is another one...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)

How???

Cambridge's is equivalent to AAAAA at A Level. 5 A Levels! 5! The average student has done 5 A Levels, and gotten A's in all of them?!

When I attended Cambridge's Law Masterclass yesterday, I didn't find anyone who was doing 5 A Levels. 4 at most, and that was rare!

Bearing this in mind, how can it be that they say their typical offer is A*AA?

Yeah that doesn't make any sense, at least it's easier with 3 a levels
Reply 7

How???

Original post by zXcodeXz
Yeah that doesn't make any sense, at least it's easier with 3 a levels

Commonly many will achieve:
A*A*A* = 420 points for the typical 3 A-Levels
+ an A in a 4th AS, 60 points (in Y12)
+ an A in EPQ, 60 points (in Y12 or Y13)
= 540 total

And then many will have a 4th A-Level to bring the average up. Plus music, etc, etc...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jneill
Commonly it will be:
A*A*A* = 420
+ A in a 4th AS, 60
+ A in EPQ, 60
= 540

And then many will have a 4th A-Level to bring the average up. Plus music, etc, etc...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh ok thanks, do you know their requirement for 4 A2 levels?
Reply 9
Oh ok thanks, do you know their requirement for 4 A2 levels?

They don't have a typical requirement for 4 A-Levels. Requirements are set in 3 A-Levels.

And my example was not a requirement, it's what many ACHIEVE. The requirements are lower, check the course you are interested in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
They don't have a typical requirement for 4 A-Levels. Requirements are set in 3 A-Levels.

And my example was not a requirement, it's what many ACHIEVE. The requirements are lower, check the course you are interested in.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, are you currently studying in any university?
Reply 11
Thanks, are you currently studying in any university?

No, I'm a parent.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
No, I'm a parent.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok any of your kids at uni?
Reply 13
Ok any of your kids at uni?

One will be at Cambridge in October, but we are going off topic :wink:
Original post by jneill

Wow that's actually amazing good luck to them all!
Original post by jneill

I'm having concern about next year. Next year I'm doing AS hopefully and I want to study Biology Chemistry Physics and Maths. In your opinion should I take 3 A levels or 4?
Reply 16
I'm having concern about next year. Next year I'm doing AS hopefully and I want to study Biology Chemistry Physics and Maths. In your opinion should I take 3 A levels or 4?

Best to look for similar threads and if necessary start your own. :wink:
Original post by jneill
Best to look for similar threads and if necessary start your own. :wink:

Ok thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending