The Student Room Group

18 years old and no period

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
My mum told me that at this age some people haven't even started their period yet. So I was hoping it wasn't anything to worry about.I'm not sure about going to the GP. I don't want to embarrass myself if there's nothing wrong. Perhaps if I leave it a while it might sort itself out? Are there any pills I could take?
At 18, I think pretty much everyone has started their period unless there's an underlying issue - I think most people start around 12-14.You've started your periods and then stopped, which is apparently surprisingly common - about 1 in 25 women has this happen to them at some point http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/periods-absent/Pages/Introduction.aspx While you do still need to go and see your GP, it does mean that you certainly won't be the first person they've seen with this! You've left it several years to sort itself out. It sounds like having kids is important to you, and your best chance of ensuring that you're fertile later on will be to see your GP now - people go to them with all sorts of nonsense (sore throats, broken fingernails etc.) but I can assure you that they won't think this is nonsense. There may be pills you can take, but they'll likely be prescription only, and it's best to know if there are any underlying causes.
If you don't suffer from anorexia it sounds like PCOS I'm having problems with lack of periods mainly because of the medication I'm on but the doctors referred me to see someone about poly cystic ovary syndrome just in case there's an underlying problem.
Original post by Indieboohoo1
If you don't suffer from anorexia it sounds like PCOS I'm having problems with lack of periods mainly because of the medication I'm on but the doctors referred me to see someone about poly cystic ovary syndrome just in case there's an underlying problem.

Original post by undine_monty
Are you underweight?Or not eating properly? When I was 14, I didn't get my period for 3 months because I was barely eating.

Original post by mscaffrey
I would talk to your GP for further investigation/discussion, but periods can be affected by many things - have you been underweight or involved in sports? Or it could be a hormonal issue. Try not to worry until you have official answers.

Original post by Tinemither
OP, are you very skinny? I say this since being very skinny means your body isn't producing enough of the hormones for you to have a period as it would malnourish your body. And it's common for people with a low BMI or anorexia (Not saying you are, but in general) to not have periods or produce sperm, yet it may also seriously affect a person's sex drive.Whether you are or aren't skinny, I'd still see a GP since we want you in top condition!

Thanks guys. I weighed myself and put my height and weight into a bmi calculator online (not sure how reliable that is tbh) and it says I am underweight so I guess that might be it... So would gaining weight make them start? I thought you had to be like reaaallllyy underweight for your periods to stop though.
Thanks guys. I weighed myself and put my height and weight into a bmi calculator online (not sure how reliable that is tbh) and it says I am underweight so I guess that might be it... So would gaining weight make them start? I thought you had to be like reaaallllyy underweight for your periods to stop though.

None of us are doctors. You've waited long enough, you should really just see your GP.

Yeah, gaining weight should make them come back. Still visit a GP though.
See your GP. Don't wait and think oh if I gain weight maybe they'll start. You need advice from a medical professional. Nobody here is qualified to advise you. (FYI, I have a low BMI and an overactive thyroid and I've had regular periods since I was 12. It may be something else entirely)
(edited 8 years ago)

Definitely still see your GP. You really need to have your hormone levels checked. If your GP thinks it's because you're underweight he can advise you of that, but it's well worth seeing a professional because sometimes gaining the weight by itself isn't enough to bring your periods back. Don't be embarrassed. I'm used to bringing up my period at almost every doctor's visit these days because of various issues and no doctor has ever flinched. It's so routine for them, don't worry!
just go to your gp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I got mine when I just turned 18. Everyone's bodies are completely different. Go to your GP to be referred to a gynaecologist. Hope they can help.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You don't have to be ludicrously underweight. But everyone's bodies are different, and your body may crave more nutrition than someone else's. If you are having periods, it releases ions which your body would otherwise need, so it's holding onto them by not allowing you to have a period. Prevents you from becoming malnourished or unwell. Gaining weight should fix it, but bigger people tend to have heavier periods, so keep it in moderation and you should be okay.
Maybe try iron tablets and Vitamin C tablets and see what that does because I asked my GP who said that I was lacking both iron and vitamin C.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest