The Student Room Group

More than half of British Muslims say homosexuality should be outlawed

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sephiroth
So what's going to happen once the Muslim population in the UK outbreeds us and mass migrates and becomes the majority? They then use our democratic system to vote in an Islamic minded party and the game is over. I doubt this will happen this century however but your great grandchildren may be affected by it.

I highly doubt that will happen on any realistic future timescale as Muslims make up less than 5% of the British population. And even if it did it assumes that the Muslims would have the same regressive views that many of them have now when there's no guarantee that'll be the case. It is becoming increasingly obvious to everyone that Islam is simply incompatible with the West and I strongly believe that it will have to undergo a radical shift to survive and keep up with our values, like Christianity did. The beauty of Darwinian evolution is that it doesn't just apply to animals, but ideas too.
Original post by ivybridge
I said relatively large because it is large? It's thousands and as time goes on, that number will increase.

Good? You shouldn't criticise and discriminate on the grounds of religious belief - you are entitled to have it as long as it is kept to you and doesn't harm others.

It will never happen and that's why. People forget that it was illegal to be gay here in recent history. We were just as bad earlier on. We changed. So can they. Progress is to be encouraged, not shunned because you feel like throwing a strop about another's beliefs.

Change usually comes generationally. Attitudes shift from generation to generation. The studies show younger Muslims in Britain are actually more illiberal than their elders. So yes they can change but at the moment they seem to be getting worse.
well it's obviously ******** anyway seeing as you read this in the daily mail
Original post by champ_mc99
Would you eloborate? But you can easily provide a counter arguement using a similar circumstance. For example, we both condemn paedophilia but if a paedophile has the will-power to not commit any crime driven by his sexuality he is considered innocent. Hence, there would be nothing wrong with being his friend.

But that is discriminatory against paedophiles. We are saying that their sexuality is fundamentally immoral and perverse and shouldn't be permitted by them or by the state or society as a whole to manifest as something physical.

The difference is that pewdophilic relationships are inherently harmful to the children involved whilst no so true with homosexual relationships.
Original post by reinaadira
And exactly how many Muslims was this survey done on?
There are around 3 million Muslims in the UK, and I doubt the survey was done on all of them
Maybe just a small number like 100? This number does not represent everyone's belief

About 4 Muslims have asked this exact question now. Do you not know how sample sizes and statistics work?
Original post by Duke Glacia
what abt the other half bro ?
they are "liberal Muslims" or, quite simply, they don't care

or, perhaps, they may be themselves gay (lesbian, transgender etc)
There are around 3 million Muslims in the UK, and I doubt the survey was done on all of them
Maybe just a small number like 100? This number does not represent everyone's belief

You need to spend some time researching survey methodology before you dismiss these findings
Original post by TheIr0nDuke
Ironic that the LGBT community is one of the most vocal defenders of Islam.

Where do you get that from? Was it in a vision?
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
About 4 Muslims have asked this exact question now. Do you not know how sample sizes and statistics work?

It seems more people don't know how this works than do.

But those who dismiss it over these 'concerns' can of course be dismissed themselves.
Original post by lambda98
well it's obviously ******** anyway seeing as you read this in the daily mail

The original article is from The Times but it's hidden behind a paywall
Original post by The Angry Stoic
Change usually comes generationally. Attitudes shift from generation to generation. The studies show younger Muslims in Britain are actually more illiberal than their elders. So yes they can change but at the moment they seem to be getting worse.
the "reislamisation" of youth in Western Europe is, in my view, a real phenomenon. It corresponds to a search for identity among the second/third generation immigrants.

As such trends usually go, this is probably bound to reverse at some moment , but when exactly , it's difficult to tell. So much depends from developments in the economy, the political system, world politics etc
Original post by Woody_Pigeon
Was this not taken from a relatively small sample of people? Surely they didn't have the time or resources to survey every practicing Muslim in Britain?

It is an opinion poll.

They are used to gauge opinions using sampling techniques.

And they are astonishingly accurate within a margin of error.
Your comments are laughable.

With a population size of 3,000,000 and an error margin of <5%, a sample size of 385 respondents is perfectly adequate to generate a >95% level of confidence for the whole population.

A sample of 97 respondents would produce a result with a 10% margin of error for >95% confidence that the answers represent the entire 3,000,000 population.

(Assuming of course, that the Muslims who responded are not lying - which would be haram).

Still claiming the survey does not represent anyone's belief? Try harder.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by mariachi
the "reislamisation" of youth in Western Europe is, in my view, a real phenomenon. It corresponds to a search for identity among the second/third generation immigrants.

As such trends usually go, this is probably bound to reverse at some moment , but when exactly , it's difficult to tell. So much depends from developments in the economy, the political system, world politics etc

Agreed. We won't see the reverse in this generation I fear.

Maybe the children of today's Muslims will rebel at the consequences of this resurgence of conservative Islam and we will see girls unafraid to show their hair, opposition to terrorism, tolerance of homosexuality etc etc.

We can only hope. :frown:
Original post by generallee
Agreed. We won't see the reverse in this generation I fear.

Maybe the children of today's Muslims will rebel at the consequences of this resurgence of conservative Islam and we will see girls unafraid to show their hair, opposition to terrorism, tolerance of homosexuality etc etc.

We can only hope. :frown:

Normally this would be tackled through education

But as we allow separatism in education I can't see how this will be addressed unless we simply Ban Muslim only schools and ensure they are forced into mainstream education

We also need to prevent mosques teaching some of the more backward aspects of Islam to children when they are to young to understand the issues being raised
Original post by BaconandSauce
Normally this would be tackled through education

But as we allow separatism in education I can't see how this will be addressed unless we simply Ban Muslim only schools and ensure they are forced into mainstream education

We also need to prevent mosques teaching some of the more backward aspects of Islam to children when they are to young to understand the issues being raised

It is a tough one.

We have been too laissez faire to date and it has been exploited. But the French have been dirigiste, their education is avowedly secular, they ban the burka and there has been a Muslim backlash at the "oppression." You are damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Either Muslims want to integrate or they don't. We can't FORCE them.
Original post by generallee
It is a tough one.

We have been too laissez faire to date and it has been exploited. But the French have been dirigiste, their education is avowedly secular, they ban the burka and there has been a Muslim backlash at the "oppression." You are damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Either Muslims want to integrate or they don't. We can't FORCE them.

Have to agree

Dammed if you do Dammed if you don't

But the tide is starting to turn as we are at least now having the conversation (long time over due)

as an EDIT to this

I have no issue with people choosing to live outside the system what I do object to is those who choose this also expecting to have this lifestyle funded by the majority they choose to shun so perhaps this is part of the action we can take.
(edited 8 years ago)

Well done for being yet another clueless minion of the "Not all Muslims" crowd who'd rather spew that rhetoric than face up to this alarming social issue.
Right, this is another thread that seems to be attempting to whip up fear and contempt towards Muslims (see http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4004797). Since Islam is, in principle opposed to homosexuality and more specifically the sexual acts involved, its hardly surprising that 52% disagree that Homosexuality should be legal in Britain, I would have expected the figure to be slightly higher. If something goes against their beliefs its unlikely that they will agree to it being legal. Also it should be noted that the sample came from 1.801 ADULT Muslims and so doesn't include the younger generation who are more likely to be liberal. 25 years ago over 60% of people in the UK opposed same sex relationships so its not really that shocking.
Again there is no suggestion that Muslims are going to attempt to outlaw homosexuality in the UK and so I struggle to see the issue here. Yes the majority of Muslims may have a different stance on homosexuality than the rest of the population but that is a belief that should be respected, just as Muslims respect western beliefs and follow our laws.
Original post by Jellevossen
Yes the majority of Muslims may have a different stance on homosexuality than the rest of the population but that is a belief that should be respected
completely wrong. People should be respected as persons, but beliefs should be discussed, criticised and, if you believe they are wrong, you should oppose them with all legal means available. Just like someone would oppose communism or fascism. This idea that Islam is above criticism is just plainly crazy : one day, someone should write the history of how the PC crowd has distorted our basic beliefs in tolerance and inclusion.

I repeat : people should not be discriminated on the basis of their beliefs, but their beliefs can be criticised, opposed, combated (within the law, of course),
Original post by Jellevossen
just as Muslims respect western beliefs and follow our laws.
if you think that Muslims (in general) respect our beliefs, you are operating a highly doubtful generalisation. Just google "filthy kuffar" and spend also some time on "Islamic" webforums, and think again.

Yes, of course that most Muslims follow the law : those who don't are either in prison, or on the run. As it should be for all citizens, whatever their race, religion or sexual preferences.

Best

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending