The Student Room Group

More than half of British Muslims say homosexuality should be outlawed

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3532355/More-half-Muslims-want-gay-sex-outlawed-nearly-quarter-support-areas-UK-run-sharia-law.html

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/Society/article1686282.ece?CMP=OTH-gnws-standard-2016_04_09

This is pretty worrying for gay people. I would understand a poll if half of British Muslims felt homosexuality is wrong in line with their beliefs, but this goes a step further and half are saying they also want it outlawed.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Grand High Witch
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3532355/More-half-Muslims-want-gay-sex-outlawed-nearly-quarter-support-areas-UK-run-sharia-law.html

http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/uk_news/Society/article1686282.ece?CMP=OTH-gnws-standard-2016_04_09

This is pretty worrying for gay people. I would understand a poll if half of British Muslims felt homosexuality is wrong in line with their beliefs, but this goes a step further and half are saying they also want it outlawed.

This is why gay people are having their "oppressed status" revoked recently. Because they have a genuine reason to oppose mass-immigration laws.
Ironic that the LGBT community is one of the most vocal defenders of Islam.
what abt the other half bro ?
Original post by TheIr0nDuke

Not true

Every gay muslim i met before are closet atheist and hates islam.
Original post by HucktheForde
Not true

And how many gay muslims do you think reside in the UK?

I am talking about the vast majority of the gay movement, which does anything to fuse their perceived plight with that of ethnic minorities. Not even if that religion would rather see them killed.
Reply 6
Original post by HucktheForde
Not true

They aren't really Muslim then... think about it.
Muslims don't hate gays, they hate people who practice it.
Those people practice it because they're possessed by something and need help.
(edited 7 years ago)
It's an even higher percentage among younger British Muslims.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4004797&p=64014749#post64014749

That's because we understand what it's like to be treated like total trash. Two wrongs don't make a right.

If you look at the history of gay rights in the United Kingdom, you'll see that we gave relentless support to the miners during the Thatcher era and that ended up building our support to a level that meant the age of consent was equalised and we started to gain much more widespread support and respect. There are many muslims out there who do not condemn homosexuals - in fact my best friend is a muslim and he and is family have been my biggest support system ever. We should focus on how there is still a relatively large percentage of the muslim population offerring support and I think this will grow.
Original post by OGGUS
They aren't really Muslim then... think about it.
Muslims don't hate gays, they hate people who practice it.
Those people practice it because there possessed by something and need help.

Are you seriously this delude? Saying they don't hate the gay, they hate the activities of the gay is such a stupid line because nobody should be expected to suppress their feelings - if you're allowed to have your sexual relationships, so are we. Many heterosexuals have anal sex and many homoexuals do not yet its only us who are hated. Why is that? Because the whole 'love the gay, hate the sin' thing is an excuse.
I don't have a problem with people who are against/dislike homosexuality, but wanting to make it illegal because of that personal dislike is just wrong.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by ivybridge
That's because we understand what it's like to be treated like total trash. Two wrongs don't make a right.

If you look at the history of gay rights in the United Kingdom, you'll see that we gave relentless support to the miners during the Thatcher era and that ended up building our support to a level that meant the age of consent was equalised and we started to gain much more widespread support and respect. There are many muslims out there who do not condemn homosexuals - in fact my best friend is a muslim and he and is family have been my biggest support system ever. We should focus on how there is still a relatively large percentage of the muslim population offerring support and I think this will grow.

Relatively large meaning a minority of Muslims?

Muslims are one of the most privileged groups in the UK. It is classed as a hate crime to criticize them or their religion and diversity quotas mean they will always find employment, whether they are skilled or not.

Although it will never happen, if Sharia law was implemented in the UK the best case scenario would be a ban on homosexuality, and worst case would be the killing of gays. Why the LGBT community sides with Islam I will never know.
So what, it's their belief doesn't mean they're going to act on unlike you lot.
Original post by Grand High Witch

Meh, I don't think it's scary for us - it will never happen. This is largely referred to as a Christian nation, not an Islamic one as such, with all due respect, go and live in Saudi or whatever if you hate Western ideals, you know? I dunno. I think we should all get off of the 'condemning muslims' bandwagon and take people as they come.
Reply 14
Are you seriously this delude? Saying they don't hate the gay, they hate the activities of the gay is such a stupid line because nobody should be expected to suppress their feelings - if you're allowed to have your sexual relationships, so are we. Many heterosexuals have anal sex and many homoexuals do not yet its only us who are hated. Why is that? Because the whole 'love the gay, hate the sin' thing is an excuse.

No one said love the gay... Make sure the gay suppresses the feelings so that they can enter paradise. Not my problem if you wanna be gay. Cuz that your ****.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Habibananna
So what, it's their belief doesn't mean they're going to act on unlike you lot.

The poll clearly states they DO want to act on it as they want it to be illegal. That is worrying.

What did you expect from a community that as a whole preaches acceptance?
Original post by Mactotaur
What did you expect from a community that as a whole preaches acceptance?

I thought the acceptance of the intolerant was nearly heresy in the eyes of the gay lobby?

If they preach acceptance, why ban UKIP from supporting homosexuals at gay pride?

Why do they continue to label opponents of gay marriage as bigots or homophobes when it is simply an opinion?

Doesn't sound like acceptance to me.
Relatively large meaning a minority of Muslims?

Muslims are one of the most privileged groups in the UK. It is classed as a hate crime to criticize them or their religion and diversity quotas mean they will always find employment, whether they are skilled or not.

Although it will never happen, if Sharia law was implemented in the UK the best case scenario would be a ban on homosexuality, and worst case would be the killing of gays. Why the LGBT community sides with Islam I will never know.

I said relatively large because it is large? It's thousands and as time goes on, that number will increase.

Good? You shouldn't criticise and discriminate on the grounds of religious belief - you are entitled to have it as long as it is kept to you and doesn't harm others.

It will never happen and that's why. People forget that it was illegal to be gay here in recent history. We were just as bad earlier on. We changed. So can they. Progress is to be encouraged, not shunned because you feel like throwing a strop about another's beliefs.
We changed. So can they.

You obviously have not rear Trevor Phillips' article in today's Sunday Times magazine. He is rather less optimistic.

Quick Reply

Latest