The Student Room Group

Are "stupid" students bullied at Cambridge?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by jneill
Except it's not true - it didn't hold these folks back:
http://thetab.com/uk/cambridge/2010/05/23/massive-fail-1358

That's not to say you'll "only" get a Third anyway - but in the unlikely event it happens it REALLY is not the end of the world.

Ah that seems more in line with what I've heard elsewhere, thank you :smile:
Original post by jneill
Except it's not true - it didn't hold these folks back:
http://thetab.com/uk/cambridge/2010/05/23/massive-fail-1358

That's not to say you'll "only" get a Third anyway - but in the unlikely event it happens it REALLY is not the end of the world.

Author, Prime Minister, TV show host. Fair enough a third isn't the end of the world, but surely you cannot deny that it makes your life a fair bit harder if you don't get a 2:1 or up?

The significant majority of jobs out there that over 90% of us (including people from Oxbridge) do not fall into the category of best-selling novelist or world leader.

I'm not trying to pick a fight here or anything, I guess my main message to OP is, whilst a 3rd isn't the end of the world, in my opinion you shouldn't be satisfied with that, you should try and push to get as good a mark as you can. They wouldn't have given you an offer to join them if they didn't think you were good enough to get a 1st.

Just my two cents though.
Reply 42
Original post by Fas

Just my two cents though.

OP doesn't need any extra pressure from anyone. As I said, I'm sure they will be absolutely fine, just let them get on with it themselves...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
OP doesn't need any extra pressure from anyone. As I said, I'm sure they will be absolutely fine, just let them get on with it themselves...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm sure they will, but I think OP themselves would also appreciate not being told misleading advice that a 3rd will set them up for life. Sure, it might get OP to where he/she wants to go, but it will be definitely more difficult than if he/she gets a 2:1 and up.

With all due respect, it isn't "extra pressure" it's just pointing out potential pitfalls they could run into.
Intelligence is not something fixed that you cannot change about yourself. You can achieve whatever you want, and I think Cambridge is certainly the place to do it. There is nothing that the other students have that you don't - you all got an offer and you all have potential. It's completely rational to be scared about not being good enough or below average when you're going to a top university like Cambridge, but you need to believe in yourself before anyone else - then any possible 'bullying' has no effect on you whatsoever.
Reply 45
Its still better than bottom of the class at LSE.
Reply 46
Original post by Fas
I'm sure they will, but I think OP themselves would also appreciate not being told misleading advice that a 3rd will set them up for life. Sure, it might get OP to where he/she wants to go, but it will be definitely more difficult than if he/she gets a 2:1 and up.

With all due respect, it isn't "extra pressure" it's just pointing out potential pitfalls they could run into.

The OP is already putting potential pitfalls in their way...

And maybe when you start your working life you'll realise that things are about so much more than just getting a First at university.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
The OP is already putting potential pitfalls in their way...

And maybe when you start your working life you'll realise that things are about so much more than just getting a First at university.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I understand that just fine. Considering I start my first job this year in London, I'm well aware that theres a lot more than getting a first.
Reply 48
Original post by Fas
I understand that just fine. Considering I start my first job this year in London, I'm well aware that theres a lot more than getting a first.

Good :smile:

Good luck with it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 49
Original post by jneill

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Fas

The OP is very sorry for starting an argument! Thank you for your help, I'm sure you are both right. Getting a third must be more of a disadvantage than I previously assumed but at the same time, it doesn't appear to be the end of the world. I suppose worrying about it so far in advance really isn't going to help me now so I will focus on doing my best. That way, whatever I achieve and whatever the consequences I will have no regrets.
Reply 50
Original post by h8skoooooool
Intelligence is not something fixed that you cannot change about yourself. You can achieve whatever you want, and I think Cambridge is certainly the place to do it. There is nothing that the other students have that you don't - you all got an offer and you all have potential. It's completely rational to be scared about not being good enough or below average when you're going to a top university like Cambridge, but you need to believe in yourself before anyone else - then any possible 'bullying' has no effect on you whatsoever.

Thank you, that's very kind. I do hope you're right (not to imply that I don't trust you)!
Reply 51
Original post by Platopus
The OP is very sorry for starting an argument! Thank you for your help, I'm sure you are both right. Getting a third must be more of a disadvantage than I previously assumed but at the same time, it doesn't appear to be the end of the world. I suppose worrying about it so far in advance really isn't going to help me now so I will focus on doing my best. That way, whatever I achieve and whatever the consequences I will have no regrets.

That's the point. Just get yourself up to Cambridge (which you will) and the rest will fall into place.

No apology necessary! Discussing issues with people who possess slightly different viewpoints to yourself is pretty much the whole point behind TSR :tongue:

wishing you the best of luck with Cambridge!
Reply 53
Original post by Fas
No apology necessary! Discussing issues with people who possess slightly different viewpoints to yourself is pretty much the whole point behind TSR :tongue:

wishing you the best of luck with Cambridge!

Thank you! Oh and good luck with your job :smile:

Original post by jneill
That's the point. Just get yourself up to Cambridge (which you will) and the rest will fall into place.

PRSOM - will do my best! Honestly, thank you so so much.
I have an offer to study philosophy at Cambridge but I'm not what you would call a "typical" offer holder in that I'm just not that bright! If I meet my offer (and that's a BIG if) I know I will be at the bottom of the class at Cambridge. And I'm perfectly fine with that. But, I am afraid that other students and perhaps even tutors will either explicitly make fun of me, inadvertently talk down to me or leave me out. I don't want to be treated differently just because I don't happen to be as clever as everyone else. Will it affect my social life?

At my Matriculation dinner at Cambridge (you get a posh dinner in your college on the day you officially become an undergrad there) the Master gave a speech in which he said something along the lines of "You probably think we made a mistake when we let you in. Don't worry - everyone feels like that, and no, we didn't make a mistake."

Cambridge undergrads are, by and large, just normal people - and there's no reason why you won't fit right in.

Emma
Reply 55
Original post by The Tutor Pages
At my Matriculation dinner at Cambridge (you get a posh dinner in your college on the day you officially become an undergrad there) the Master gave a speech in which he said something along the lines of "You probably think we made a mistake when we let you in. Don't worry - everyone feels like that, and no, we didn't make a mistake."

Cambridge undergrads are, by and large, just normal people - and there's no reason why you won't fit right in.

Emma

That's so comforting to hear, thank you :smile: I'm glad to know that most people feel the same. Hopefully, that means they will be kind!
The short answer is no. The longer answer is that it is just not like school.

Everybody is a bit more mature and more sure of themselves. They are all bright people, almost all of whom have to work hard to do well at Cambridge.
You do not have the same intense sense of being in a small class as at school and really I don't remember anybody bullying anybody. You could just change the people you mix with, its a much bigger environment.

It's is not clear in the first year who is the best as everybody has ability and most of the interactive work is done in a supervision sometimes without any other students, often only one more. (May be a little different for philosophy but not much.)

I have often told the story of our first intro lecture with (I think) the DOS/admissions tutor. They asked us to put up our hands if we felt that it had been a mistake to give us an offer and that we didn't really deserve to be there. Over half the hall did. (Apologies to Tutor Pages-didn't see you had told the same story. Maybe we were at the same college but I suspect not...)
(edited 8 years ago)
I really don't believe there is any such thing as a "stupid" Cambridge student.

Yes I know that someone must finish bottom of every class, but as jneill has already pointed out, a great many students feel that they are not as capable as the rest of their fellow students and are somehow "imposters". They can't all finish bottom, so most of them must be wrong.

Yes, I know that you feel that you are the one who will finish bottom, but then so do all the rest.

Every year many applicants with excellent grades and predictions are passed over, in favour of applicants with slightly poorer, but still very good, grades and predictions. The reason for this is that the admissions tutors don't consider your worth on grades alone but take into account other things, such as interviews, etc.

They saw something in you, that perhaps you didn't see in yourself, a worthy Cambridge student. They are smart, they have interviewed hundreds of applicants and saw something special in you.

You were given an offer for one reason only, because you deserve one. Trust yourself, there will be lots of hard work, sweat and tears along the way but in the end you will realize that you are as worthy and as "smart" as every Cambridge student.
Reply 58
Original post by Stacy93
I really don't believe there is any such thing as a "stupid" Cambridge student.

Yes I know that someone must finish bottom of every class, but as jneill has already pointed out, a great many students feel that they are not as capable as the rest of their fellow students and are somehow "imposters". They can't all finish bottom, so most of them must be wrong.

Yes, I know that you feel that you are the one who will finish bottom, but then so do all the rest.

Every year many applicants with excellent grades and predictions are passed over, in favour of applicants with slightly poorer, but still very good, grades and predictions. The reason for this is that the admissions tutors don't consider your worth on grades alone but take into account other things, such as interviews, etc.

They saw something in you, that perhaps you didn't see in yourself, a worthy Cambridge student. They are smart, they have interviewed hundreds of applicants and saw something special in you.

You were given an offer for one reason only, because you deserve one. Trust yourself, there will be lots of hard work, sweat and tears along the way but in the end you will realize that you are as worthy and as "smart" as every Cambridge student.

There is no such thing as "stupid". We are all different, that 's all! Go, make friends, enjoy the highs and deal with the lows. You will be fine.😜

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending