The Student Room Group

Part-time MSc while undertaking PhD Study?

I am due to start a funded PhD in Mathematical Sciences, specifically 3-D printing, and was wondering if a) It is possible time-wise to undertake a part time MSc elsewhere while doing so, and b) if the University's would allow such to happen.

The MSc program I am interested in is Astrophysics/Cosmology. I aim to do a postdoc following my PhD, preferably in astrophysics, or complex systems and felt the additional qualification would possibly aid my case. Is this a wise choice, or is this just folly?
No, it almost certainly won't be possible time wise to do this, and I highly doubt your university would let you anyway.
What If I already hold the required knowledge regarding the additional MSc and just want to pick up the qualification for the sake of appearances to bolster my prospects as a post-doc? Of course this would fall second to any publications I have as well as the PhD itself.
Original post by ZeroVectorSystem
What If I already hold the required knowledge regarding the additional MSc and just want to pick up the qualification for the sake of appearances to bolster my prospects as a post-doc? Of course this would fall second to any publications I have as well as the PhD itself.

I would say don't do it unless you are prepared for a tongue lashing from your supervisor when s/he finds out. I know a PhD who nearly had his funding revoked for taking additional, non-related courses for another degree.

In terms of publications/CV, the MSc, unless highly relevant, would fall second to the PhD. Also, seeing someone do a concurrent MSc and PhD would raise a number of red flags with HR.
Both very valid points and I guess that it is best I focus on my current research. I just planned to transition from numerical mathematics for engineering/classical physics to mathematics for astrophysics/cosmology as a post-doc and I felt the qualification would have helped since my previous formal education has not covered this. Of course I have self taught a lot, and have enough time to learn the relevant subject matter but it may not be viewed as equivalent in the eyes of the faculty.
Original post by ZeroVectorSystem
Both very valid points and I guess that it is best I focus on my current research. I just planned to transition from numerical mathematics for engineering/classical physics to mathematics for astrophysics/cosmology as a post-doc and I felt the qualification would have helped since my previous formal education has not covered this. Of course I have self taught a lot, and have enough time to learn the relevant subject matter but it may not be viewed as equivalent in the eyes of the faculty.

I wouldn't say getting an additional MSc would necessarily validate what you have learned when applying for a post-doc position. Even if someone with a traditional MSc + PhD applies for a post-doc position, they may have forgotten most of the intricacies of their MSc curriculum.

For the most part, PIs who hire post-docs with a background outside of the PIs own research specialty will understand that a post-doc may only have conceptual, and not working knowledge of the field. However, being a post-doc, you will be expected to be able to catch up quickly.
Original post by zombiejon
I wouldn't say getting an additional MSc would necessarily validate what you have learned when applying for a post-doc position. Even if someone with a traditional MSc + PhD applies for a post-doc position, they may have forgotten most of the intricacies of their MSc curriculum.

For the most part, PIs who hire post-docs with a background outside of the PIs own research specialty will understand that a post-doc may only have conceptual, and not working knowledge of the field. However, being a post-doc, you will be expected to be able to catch up quickly.

I have also been made aware of this. So I guess it is safe to say I will just do individual learning in my spare time regarding expanding my knowledge, hopefully in a conceptual and working format. Thanks for the help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending