The Student Room Group

Im a pharmacist, Ask me (almost) anything?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by quasa
x

Okay I understand that money is a problem to fund a medicine degree....I got an Idea

You do pharmacy, so you know like literallly evrythhhing about drugs...So you can be Walter white, and I'll be Jesse Pinkman... BUT OBVIOUSLY Asian versions...truss we'll be ballin.
Original post by HuzaifahN
dude I is a guy fam and I have no idea but just generally.

ah, my bad (your sex isnt specified, but im a dude as well lol). with acne, isotretinoin tablets is usually used for girls but for no more than 30 days as it influences fertility / increases female specific health problems (also the prescription for it can only be valid for 7 days tops).

generally tablets for acne are antibiotics (namely erythromycin, a macrolide, and doxycycline, a tetracycline). both are bacterostatic compounds (paralyses rather than kills bacteria to allow your immune system to build antibodies against it) which are effective against a wide range of bacteria (metronidazole is also used).

doxycyline is safe but is not really recommended if your under 12 as it can stain your teeth brown in growing children. also, as an added bonus, it can cause photosensitivity (so cover yourself in the sun)

erythromycin, whilst fairly safe, can cause stomach aches and is a bitch of a drug when someone is taking multiple medication as it is metabolic inhibitor (slows down metabolism of other drugs thereby increasing side-effects of other drugs and reduced therapeutic effect).

metronidazole has an interesting side-effect with alcohol in the sense that you will get a horrid hangover instantly
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous
Okay I understand that money is a problem to fund a medicine degree....I got an Idea

You do pharmacy, so you know like literallly evrythhhing about drugs...So you can be Walter white, and I'll be Jesse Pinkman... BUT OBVIOUSLY Asian versions...truss we'll be ballin.

if I had a £ for everytime someone said that, Id buy myself an xbox :lol:
Original post by quasa
this is a normal AMA (ie random questions / random talk etc) but am aware that people have a few health issues they may want to enquire about privately. feel free to ask away.

the following things however will be reported: racism, insulting peoples beliefs / private life (relationships, appearance etc) and insults in general (unless it is insulting trolls, then by all means troll the trolls).

also I will not mention what school of pharmacy I went to as it may inadvertantly reveal my secret ID but am willing to talk about other stuff.

What is your current salary and starting salary? what is your next step in your career?
Original post by tutorscience
What is your current salary and starting salary? what is your next step in your career?

no comment and dunno how things will plan out lol (currently locumming)
Original post by quasa

Spoiler

True! But you sound capable of getting a high UKCAT mark, I think only oxford has a grad programme which requires the BMAT, and there's some which require the GAMSAT. But they're all doable! Many of the GEM programmes are being taken down, but there is still 10-ish medical schools that offer it :smile:
Original post by ArabianPhoenix
True! But you sound capable of getting a high UKCAT mark, I think only oxford has a grad programme which requires the BMAT, and there's some which require the GAMSAT. But they're all doable! Many of the GEM programmes are being taken down, but there is still 10-ish medical schools that offer it :smile:

firstly, cheers for the vote of confidence
oxfords GEM programme is ukcat weirdly (cambridge and imperial is BMAT, although BMAT for cambridge is if you dont have a science degree but if I were applying there, I would have to resit a levels :frown: )
Original post by quasa
firstly, cheers for the vote of confidence
oxfords GEM programme is ukcat weirdly (cambridge and imperial is BMAT, although BMAT for cambridge is if you dont have a science degree but if I were applying there, I would have to resit a levels :frown: )

Oxford is BMAT :smile:
http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/accelerated/prospectus/how-to-apply

I'm planning on studying medicine after my current degree and I don't think i'll be applying to oxbridge or imperial, too competitive and I doubt I'd be able to keep up with the academic calibre required
Oxford is BMAT :smile:
http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/accelerated/prospectus/how-to-apply

I'm planning on studying medicine after my current degree and I don't think i'll be applying to oxbridge or imperial, too competitive and I doubt I'd be able to keep up with the academic calibre required

ah, oxford has changed since 2014/15
tbh, oxbridge and birmingham I am trying to avoid. other options, if i decided to go into GEM would be interesting. if you dont mind me asking, what degree are you studying?
@quasa

What Uni's did you apply 2?
OP

I have a question but would prefer to raise it privately.

Would you be amenable to that?
Original post by apronedsamurai
OP

I have a question but would prefer to raise it privately.

Would you be amenable to that?

go for it
@quasa

What Uni's did you apply 2?

low ranked ones in terms of pharmacy but overall ranking (ie all subjects) were decent (excluding the last 2). foundation med was east anglia; pharmacy was reading, medway (Kent), de montford and Hertfordshire
Original post by quasa
ah, oxford has changed since 2014/15
tbh, oxbridge and birmingham I am trying to avoid. other options, if i decided to go into GEM would be interesting. if you dont mind me asking, what degree are you studying?

Medical Physiology, although if I was back in a-levels I think I would have applied for nursing then gone onto GEM, so you doing pharmacy ( a practical application degree) would put you in a strong position for studying GEM, in my opinion
Medical Physiology, although if I was back in a-levels I think I would have applied for nursing then gone onto GEM, so you doing pharmacy ( a practical application degree) would put you in a strong position for studying GEM, in my opinion

only allah knows. youd be surprised how many med schools accept non-science grads (e.g. english lit BScs, food surveying grads)
sorry to hear about your horrible experiences quasa. one of my friends bought some dried mugwort off the internet to make an infusion ? is this safe or not ?
Original post by quasa
low ranked ones in terms of pharmacy but overall ranking (ie all subjects) were decent (excluding the last 2). foundation med was east anglia; pharmacy was reading, medway (Kent), de montford and Hertfordshire

Ezzz so your from the east yeaah :wink:
Original post by quasa
only allah knows. youd be surprised how many med schools accept non-science grads (e.g. english lit BScs, food surveying grads)

Yeah iA you'll do well with whatever you do in life
Yeah iA you'll do well with whatever you do in life

PRSOM

inshallah, may yo uget into GEM as well
Ezzz so your from the east yeaah :wink:

is it that obvious?

Quick Reply