The Student Room Group

More than half of British Muslims say homosexuality should be outlawed

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mariachi
Just like someone would oppose communism or fascism. This idea that Islam is above criticism is just plainly crazy

But everybody has the right to freedom of belief? I was not suggesting by any means that Islam is above criticism and I perhaps should not have said that we should respect the beliefs but rather their right to those beliefs. There a no legal means as far as I am aware of to oppose the belief that homosexuality is wrong as everybody is entitled to that belief. If they act on those beliefs and discriminate against people on the basis of their sexuality then I completely agree that opposition by legal means is necessary.
The Daily Mail lies
Original post by Jellevossen
But everybody has the right to freedom of belief? I was not suggesting by any means that Islam is above criticism and I perhaps should not have said that we should respect the beliefs but rather their right to those beliefs. There a no legal means as far as I am aware of to oppose the belief that homosexuality is wrong as everybody is entitled to that belief. If they act on those beliefs and discriminate against people on the basis of their sexuality then I completely agree that opposition by legal means is necessary.
as you go deeper in the subject, it becomes of course more complicated

of course that Muslims are entitled to think that homosexuality is wrong and has negative consequences for our societies. Just like I am entitled to think that Islam is wrong and has negative consequences for our societies

however, there is a line which should not be crossed : it is one thing to say that homosexuality and Islam are wrong, and a different thing to say that homosexuals or Muslims should be prosecuted by law, or even (astaghfirullah !) executed

few people seriously justify execution of the entire practicing Islamic community, while it is routine to hear some Muslims justifying execution of all "practicing" homosexuals

and this even on our own TSR forum... why is there this incredible tolerance for such violent, hateful ideas, as those expressed by Muslims who justify execution of homosexuals (or adulterers, apostates etc) ? why these incredible double standards ? because those are "religious" ideas ?

this is absurd : for people being executed, it is irrelevant if they are executed on the basis of religious ideas or any other sort of "ideas"

best
Original post by Frank Underwood
The Daily Mail lies

Must try harder Frank

This was first reported in the Times
Right, this is another thread that seems to be attempting to whip up fear and contempt towards Muslims (see http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4004797). Since Islam is, in principle opposed to homosexuality and more specifically the sexual acts involved, its hardly surprising that 52% disagree that Homosexuality should be legal in Britain, I would have expected the figure to be slightly higher. If something goes against their beliefs its unlikely that they will agree to it being legal. Also it should be noted that the sample came from 1.801 ADULT Muslims and so doesn't include the younger generation who are more likely to be liberal. 25 years ago over 60% of people in the UK opposed same sex relationships so its not really that shocking.
Again there is no suggestion that Muslims are going to attempt to outlaw homosexuality in the UK and so I struggle to see the issue here. Yes the majority of Muslims may have a different stance on homosexuality than the rest of the population but that is a belief that should be respected, just as Muslims respect western beliefs and follow our laws.

A very sad post.

Views like yours are one of main reasons this country is in such a mess.

It is not that you aren't prepared to fight for liberal values in the face of religious intolerance and hatred, it is that you are in denial that this fight is even taking place.

of course that Muslims are entitled to think that homosexuality is wrong and has negative consequences for our societies.

There is also the idea that some Muslims have in that they think they can be allowed to hold such views without their being consequences.

So for example a Muslim expressing this opinion at work should and rightly so be fired.

Now this of course does not impact on their freedom to spout such bigotry and they are free to do so but they have to accept that there can and will be negative consequences
Original post by The Angry Stoic
Change usually comes generationally. Attitudes shift from generation to generation. The studies show younger Muslims in Britain are actually more illiberal than their elders. So yes they can change but at the moment they seem to be getting worse.

They are and they aren't. They're certainly more open-minded, but that cuts both ways; they're more open-minded to religious innovations like ISIS that their very staid, conservative, mainstream parents would find shocking. I know a Muslim family where the Dad enjoys whisky, the daughters are unveiled but the son is a Salafist
Original post by BeastOfSyracuse
They are and they aren't. They're certainly more open-minded, but that cuts both ways; they're more open-minded to religious innovations like ISIS that their very staid, conservative, mainstream parents would find shocking. I know a Muslim family where the Dad enjoys whisky, the daughters are unveiled but the son is a Salafist
very true

young people tend to take their ideals more seriously than the older generation. They are more enthusiastic and more pro-active

this can be a very good thing, but also a very dangerous thing : depends on the direction it takes

if "reform" within Islam means abandoning the old traditional Islam (with its traditional problems) only to fall in the Islamist/jihadi trap, then one could of course consider that the old, traditional Islam is, at the end of the day, still the best option

on the other hand, if the younger Muslim generation attempts a serious, "liberal" reform, then it should be supported
Original post by BaconandSauce
There is also the idea that some Muslims have in that they think they can be allowed to hold such views without their being consequences.

So for example a Muslim expressing this opinion at work should and rightly so be fired.

Now this of course does not impact on their freedom to spout such bigotry and they are free to do so but they have to accept that there can and will be negative consequences
Persons (including Muslims) who express the idea that homosexuals, apostates, adulterers should be prosecuted (or killed) should be treated just like people who express the idea that Muslims should be prosecuted (or killed)
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 309
Original post by CON5P1RACY K1D
You've just proven my point. You just assumed or collected information online about how Islam is evil or whatnot yet you haven't actually read the Quran yourself...people are so gullible and will believe anything these days smh. Educate yourself before you start stating facts that are wrong 👍🏾

I will never read the Qu'ran. I don't want my mind polluted.
Persons (including Muslims) who express the idea that homosexuals, apostates, adulterers should be prosecuted (or killed) should be treated just like people who express the idea that Muslims should be prosecuted (or killed)

Completely agree

People are free to hold and express these opinions but the rest of us are free to shun them and not employ them etc....
This is what happens when you let backward peasant cultures into the country without appropriately encouraging them to assimilate. Islam is by far the most bigoted anti-intellectual religion and the fact that they would treat gays in this way shouldn't be surprising. The only shocking thing is that the left encourage their backward ideals and call anyone who disagrees with the ideals of islam "islamophobic"
wait what?
guess il just go shut myself back in my closet then...
Original post by Habibananna
So what, it's their belief doesn't mean they're going to act on unlike you lot.

Who are the "you lot" ?
Reply 314
Right, this is another thread that seems to be attempting to whip up fear and contempt towards Muslims (see http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4004797). Since Islam is, in principle opposed to homosexuality and more specifically the sexual acts involved, its hardly surprising that 52% disagree that Homosexuality should be legal in Britain, I would have expected the figure to be slightly higher. If something goes against their beliefs its unlikely that they will agree to it being legal. Also it should be noted that the sample came from 1.801 ADULT Muslims and so doesn't include the younger generation who are more likely to be liberal. 25 years ago over 60% of people in the UK opposed same sex relationships so its not really that shocking.
Again there is no suggestion that Muslims are going to attempt to outlaw homosexuality in the UK and so I struggle to see the issue here. Yes the majority of Muslims may have a different stance on homosexuality than the rest of the population but that is a belief that should be respected, just as Muslims respect western beliefs and follow our laws.

Not all beliefs should be respected. And if you think that Muslims respect western beliefs you need to be more disciplined in taking our medication.
People reacting like this is breaking news to their ears and not common knowledge for years as another excuse to bash Islam. Keep trying.
Original post by reinaadira
And exactly how many Muslims was this survey done on?
There are around 3 million Muslims in the UK, and I doubt the survey was done on all of them
Maybe just a small number like 100? This number does not represent everyone's belief

You didn't read the OP very well, it polled 2000 Muslims.

And don't say "it's not big enough" or "it doesn't represent everyone's belief," because that is how samples work.
Original post by digistar_100
People reacting like this is breaking news to their ears and not common knowledge for years as another excuse to bash Islam. Keep trying.

Thing is we though educating Muslims would solve the issue

It seems this has failed so we will need to look at alternative approaches
Original post by BaconandSauce
Thing is we though educating Muslims would solve the issue

It seems this has failed so we will need to look at alternative approaches

Yes of course! All of these Muslims are uneducated, rabid individuals who simply cannot tell right from wrong.

:facepalm:
Original post by Frank Underwood
Yes of course! All of these Muslims are uneducated, rabid individuals who simply cannot tell right from wrong.

:facepalm:

At least they are not Wild Animals Frank, as you think, and they can be educated not to hate (it's worked in the UK with Issues such as Racism etc..)

But as you think they are wild animals no wonder you think the way you do.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending