The Student Room Group

What does this really mean?

I had an interview with a company for an amazing entry level job on Friday. I think I actually aced the interview. I knew alot about the company and the role and I even provided loads of detail on the case study they asked me to complete. I asked very interesting questions which actually made the hiring manager stop and think.

So I got a call today saying thay they offered the role to someone with "a little bit more experience" than me. They said the hiring managers really liked me and that want to keep my details on file for when another position is available. She said that they are growing fast so jobs come up quite often.

I'm just wondering what's the likelihood of them calling me to offer a job a few weeks down the line. Has anyone had a similar experience.
Reply 1
Original post by J-SP
They really wouldn't say it if they didn't mean it.

It's really hard to say what the chances are that another role will come up. It will depend on a very individual set of circumstances which mean no one on here can tell you what the likelihood will be. The company that interviewed you can't even tell you that.

The good news is that if anything suitable does come up they will be in contact.

I've personally experienced it twice. Once when the person they did offer didn't turn up for the job, and another when the person they offered didn't pass their probation period.

Take it as a good sign - they'd just say you were unsuccessful if they didn't see you fitting in to the company somewhere. Keep an eye out for jobs with the company though, and given the feedback you have received, contact them directly before applying to see if they also think you'd might be good for the role.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the reply. This role I applied for has been advertised twice since January so hopefully something will open up soon enough
Original post by zohaib01
I had an interview with a company for an amazing entry level job on Friday. I think I actually aced the interview. I knew alot about the company and the role and I even provided loads of detail on the case study they asked me to complete. I asked very interesting questions which actually made the hiring manager stop and think.

So I got a call today saying thay they offered the role to someone with "a little bit more experience" than me. They said the hiring managers really liked me and that want to keep my details on file for when another position is available. She said that they are growing fast so jobs come up quite often.

I'm just wondering what's the likelihood of them calling me to offer a job a few weeks down the line. Has anyone had a similar experience.

Did you try to dig deeper and get some feedback on the interview because "a little bit more experience" is very vague. They could be using that as an excuse, but you never know. I'd just move on.

When a company says they will keep your details on file and boast that they're growing fast i'd take it with a pinch of salt. They probably aren't and will not get back to you. Recruiters are incredibly forgetful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending