The Student Room Group
Canterbury Cathedral
Canterbury Christ Church University
Canterbury
Visit website

Accommodation 2016

I am looking to start CCCU in Sept 2016 and do not know what accommodation to apply for. I have narrowed it down between Petros Court and St George's and would like some advice? Or does anyone know what accommodation they are going to apply for?

Scroll to see replies

Hi! I currently live at Petros Court and stayed at St. George's last year!

I'd say the main differences between St. George's and Petros Court are that;
- St George's has a student union attached to the building so if you're sociable this accommodation may be better as Petros does not have this, you kind of stick to your flat unless you bump into other students on your course or something.
- Petros court is bigger! All rooms have ensuites and double beds, flat screens in the kitchen etc. So if you want a bit of extra luxury, I'd say Petros.
- I study nursing and at Petros I have been placed with other students doing similar medical degrees which is quite nice, I'm not sure if this is the same for other courses and St. George's but it's something to think about.
- Both accommodations are well located with train stations, bus stations, shops and university all nearby. If you ant a shorter distance to uni, then St. George's is more ideal. (But there really isn't much of a difference in distance!)
- St George's is cheaper!
- Both accommodations have 24/7 security.
- Petros Court is brand new, it only opened last year so you're sure to have a decent room!

Overall, there isn't that much of a difference, it just depends on you're personal preference of whether or not you want more social or more luxury, and how much you're willing to pay.

Hope this helps!
Canterbury Cathedral
Canterbury Christ Church University
Canterbury
Visit website
Reply 2
Thank you for your reply! You have been a great help. Can I just ask do you have a personal preference between the two accommodations? Also how do you find Canterbury University?
Original post by amy_r12
Thank you for your reply! You have been a great help. Can I just ask do you have a personal preference between the two accommodations? Also how do you find Canterbury University?

Glad to help! Well I personally prefer Petros Court as I had a bad experience with St. George's (noisy flat mates). To be honest, you can never guarantee what kind of flat mates you are going to get no matter where you go. My course is also very intense so I thought I would prefer Petros as it doesn't have a student union nor does it have a bar next door to it so it's a lot more quieter. Plus, the library is right on my door step... literally!! I personally love Canterbury, choosing this university was the best choice for me. I turned down universities that were higher on the university boards for CCCU and I don't regret it. My lecturers are incredibly helpful and the facilities are great. As for living in Canterbury, everything is close by and it never gets boring! I have no complaints whatsoever in regards to my course, accommodation and university choice. I think you just have to go with your gut instincts sometimes :smile:
Reply 4
Im in the same boat, I cant choose between the two. One thing I have noticed by looking at the 360 virtual tour is that in Petros Court I can see a full length wardrobe in the room and in St George i can't see one, only a couple of draws. Is this the case?
Original post by ImoFord1
Im in the same boat, I cant choose between the two. One thing I have noticed by looking at the 360 virtual tour is that in Petros Court I can see a full length wardrobe in the room and in St George i can't see one, only a couple of draws. Is this the case?

Hey!

St.George's does have wardrobes.They are located next to the ensuites as soon as you walk into the flat.They are pretty discrete and this is probably why you can't see them. Petros and St. George's have identical furniture near enough, the main difference between the two accommodations is the bedroom sizes.
Hope this helps!
Reply 6
Hiya, I actually haven't seen inside of the accommodation, I am going to the applicant day next saturday to have a look.
What course have you applied for? Do you know when your applying for accommodation?
Reply 7
Original post by siobhanmay
Hey!

St.George's does have wardrobes.They are located next to the ensuites as soon as you walk into the flat.They are pretty discrete and this is probably why you can't see them. Petros and St. George's have identical furniture near enough, the main difference between the two accommodations is the bedroom sizes.
Hope this helps!

Thank you for your reply, Ah okay that makes sense as to why it can't be seen. So is Petros bedroom size bigger than St.George?. How does CCU decide as to who your flat mates will be? Is it decided on what course you do and interested and hobbies or completely random?.
Reply 8
Original post by amy_r12
Hiya, I actually haven't seen inside of the accommodation, I am going to the applicant day next saturday to have a look.
What course have you applied for? Do you know when your applying for accommodation?

The Saturday thats just gone or this Saturday? Ive applied for Counselling, Coaching and Mentoring. Well i was going to apply for my accommodation today (as they said the accommodation application opens w/c 11/April) I have already confirmed my place but the CCU website still wont let me apply.
Reply 9
This Saturday the 16th. Yea I no I've just looked at that, I think there open sometime this week.
Ah thats sounds interesting, do you know what your first accommodation choice is?
Reply 10
Original post by amy_r12
This Saturday the 16th. Yea I no I've just looked at that, I think there open sometime this week.
Ah thats sounds interesting, do you know what your first accommodation choice is?

Ah okay, must let me know what you think. I just emailed them and they said it will be sometime this week we just have to keep looking. What are you going to study? My first choice is St. George and then Petros.
Reply 11
The Saturday thats just gone or this Saturday? Ive applied for Counselling, Coaching and Mentoring. Well i was going to apply for my accommodation today (as they said the accommodation application opens w/c 11/April) I have already confirmed my place but the CCU website still wont let me apply.

I've applied for Counselling, Coaching and Mentoring too! I feel like I'm the only person who isn't considering St George's or Petros. I'm thinking either Pin Hill or Lanfranc. The applications for Broadstairs and Medway are open but not yet Canterbury which is so frustrating! I just want it over with now lol!
Reply 12
I've applied for Primary Education. I'm still not sure what accommodation I'm putting first :/ But I think they say we should apply for 5.
Reply 13
Original post by rintee_
I've applied for Counselling, Coaching and Mentoring too! I feel like I'm the only person who isn't considering St George's or Petros. I'm thinking either Pin Hill or Lanfranc. The applications for Broadstairs and Medway are open but not yet Canterbury which is so frustrating! I just want it over with now lol!

Is your place unconditional or conditional? From what I've seen yeah it's majority St George and Petro, how come your thinking Pin Hill/Lanfranc? Hopefully they stick to their word with 'lines will open in a couple of days'.
Reply 14
Original post by amy_r12
I've applied for Primary Education. I'm still not sure what accommodation I'm putting first :/ But I think they say we should apply for 5.

I definitely have my first and second choice decided but the rest I have no clue, yeah we have to put 5. I just really want St George
Reply 15
Is your place unconditional or conditional? From what I've seen yeah it's majority St George and Petro, how come your thinking Pin Hill/Lanfranc? Hopefully they stick to their word with 'lines will open in a couple of days'.

Mine is conditional. Have you started the DBS process yet? I can't afford Petros or St George's, plus I'm from Canterbury anyway so I'm just using this as an excuse to move out. I like the location of Lanfranc the most, and also Pin Hill is right by Club Chemistry so living there would be good for nights out!
Thank you for your reply, Ah okay that makes sense as to why it can't be seen. So is Petros bedroom size bigger than St.George?. How does CCU decide as to who your flat mates will be? Is it decided on what course you do and interested and hobbies or completely random?.

Yes, Petros rooms are bigger than st georges. I believe it is all randomly allocated but you may notice when you confirm your choices for accommodation you have to select the number of weeks you will be staying there. For example, my course ia medical based so i am staying at petros for a 47 week period so i have been allocated a flat with other medics. As for the shorter courses, i believe it is all random for both petroa and st georges. You can decide ehether or not you prefer mixed, female or males only however.
Reply 17
Have you applied for accommodation yet, I have firmed the University but the accommodation portal won't let me log in?
Reply 18
Original post by amy_r12
Have you applied for accommodation yet, I have firmed the University but the accommodation portal won't let me log in?

I applied the first day it opened. I just put in my UCAS id, surname and date of birth and it worked. Email the uni if you're having problems with accessing it! :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by rintee_
Mine is conditional. Have you started the DBS process yet? I can't afford Petros or St George's, plus I'm from Canterbury anyway so I'm just using this as an excuse to move out. I like the location of Lanfranc the most, and also Pin Hill is right by Club Chemistry so living there would be good for nights out!

Ah mine is un-conditional as i already have my grades. No i haven't, how do you start it? I've had no email asking me to do it or anything, i know it has to be done but i dunno if they do it for me or by myself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending