The Student Room Group

Special treatment during exams

I am suffering very badly from anxiety; would it be feasible for me to complete my exams in a separate room?

Thank you for your help.
Original post by Jamie Vardy
I am suffering very badly from anxiety; would it be feasible for me to complete my exams in a separate room?

Thank you for your help.

You'll have to contact the exam administrator at the school to find that answer - it depends on whether the school will let you
Reply 2
You'd have to ask the centre, but I don't know if that's a good enough reason to get to sit it elsewhere...

We can't really give you a definitive answer
Reply 3
Alright, thanks guys.

Thank you for your help.

This isn't fair. I have anxiety too, so do alot of students, exams are not social gatherings, the majority of time will be spent writing in silence.

If you feel it hinders your performance, ask for a mitigating circumstances form or to have extra time.
Reply 5
Original post by hannah097
This isn't fair. I have anxiety too, so do alot of students, exams are not social gatherings, the majority of time will be spent writing in silence.

If you feel it hinders your performance, ask for a mitigating circumstances form or to have extra time.

I experience excessive coughing, gagging and feeling sick. It really brings the worst out of me every single day; my anxiety is more generalised.
I experience excessive coughing, gagging and feeling sick. It really brings the worst out of me every single day; my anxiety is more generalised.

If you feel that you'll be disruptive to other students then thats another issue, but as someone with anxiety, it should not merit special treatment during exams in my opinion.

Go and speak to your doctor, maybe get a note?
Reply 7
you might be able to do your exam in a smaller room with less people, but doing it in a separate room would depend on whether they had any space after all those who needed scribes and stuff had somewhere. Ask your SENCO or exams coordinator
In secondary school I talked to my exams officer who arranged for me to be in a smaller room (with the people who had extra time or computers) when possible. It did massively help me as I felt less trapped and I was less on-edge so could actually focus more on my exams.
At uni however I had to have a doctor's note saying that my anxiety was particularly bad during exams and then I had a meeting with the university support who had to apply for me to have "special provisions" (still me in a smaller room).

Different schools might treat it differently- some will be as straightforward as my secondary school and others go full uni official. It can't hurt to try so try and find out how to talk to your exams officer asap.
Reply 9
If you feel that you'll be disruptive to other students then thats another issue, but as someone with anxiety, it should not merit special treatment during exams in my opinion.

Go and speak to your doctor, maybe get a note?

I have been to my doctor today. I am also currently in SENDCo, away from lessons, so my situation is understandable.

Thank you for your help.

It's possible a girl in my year had panic attacks and got a separate room for her exams.

If you have anxiety you should understand how debilitating it is. Just because you don't struggle with exam anxiety doesn't mean no-one does.

Quick Reply

Latest