The Student Room Group

Would 1 Facilitating subject suffice,or do you need 2?

Hi.The school i applied to is a excellent school.I wish to do a Law career.
Anyways i picked English Literature(Facilitating )Geography(also Facilitating ) and Politcs.However i have seen their results,and they want atleast 10 people for the course to continue into Year 12.From their result,only 1 person did Geography.So it might be risky,i don't want to be the only one doing Geo ( i assume if people drop it or fail it the course is written off).So ,i have decided (for now) that i should replace Geo with Philosophy.So my question is(for Russel Group unis) ,does it matter if i only have 1 facilitating subject?

Help would be appreciated.
Reply 1
@jneill perhaps you could help?
Reply 2
Original post by Blancosdos
@jneill perhaps you could help?

What subjects are you considering if you don't do the originally planned choices?

Eitherway it probably won't matter that much. Just do well in your choices :wink:

(Caveat: I'm definitely not an expert in law course requirements...)
Reply 3
Original post by jneill
What subjects are you considering if you don't do the originally planned choices?

Eitherway it probably won't matter that much. Just do well in your choices :wink:

(Caveat: I'm definitely not an expert in law course requirements...)

Eng Lit,Philosophy,Politics?
Reply 4
Original post by JohnGreek
If you're applying to do Law, you could definitely replace Philosophy with Geography and they wouldn't bat an eye. You may also wish to consider doing a Language or Maths instead.

Do not like languages at all.

Math's im decent at (Much better at essay subjects) however i do not enjoy it.
Reply 5
Eng Lit,Philosophy,Politics?

They are fine.
Reply 6
Original post by jneill
They are fine.

Fine for the russel groups?
Reply 7
Fine for the russel groups?

For law, yes. Eng Lit and Philosophy are absolutely solid. Politics is not a problem as your 3rd subject.
Please don't fall into the trap that only RG universities are good. There are other unis out there as good if not better than the RG. RG have brought out the informed choices booklet which is where the 2 facilitating subjects come from. However this differs for each university. It might be worth looking into UCL and LSE which actually state their acceptable subjects. Most other unis do not insist on this.
Hi.The school i applied to is a excellent school.I wish to do a Law career.
Anyways i picked English Literature(Facilitating )Geography(also Facilitating ) and Politcs.However i have seen their results,and they want atleast 10 people for the course to continue into Year 12.From their result,only 1 person did Geography.So it might be risky,i don't want to be the only one doing Geo ( i assume if people drop it or fail it the course is written off).So ,i have decided (for now) that i should replace Geo with Philosophy.So my question is(for Russel Group unis) ,does it matter if i only have 1 facilitating subject?

Help would be appreciated.

It doesn't matter for law if you have no facilitating subjects.

Facilitating subjects are called that because they keep someone's choice of university subject as open as possible. The Russell Group are keen on facilitating subjects because they don't want to lose potential applicants.

As law has no subject requirements, the issue the RG is addressing, doesn't apply.

In their "Informed Choices" booklet the RG used to draw a distinction between "hard" and "soft" subjects but they have rather abandoned this. I think that was because 16 year olds struggled with the concepts of "hard" and "soft" being different from the concepts of "hard" and "easy".

However, the distinction between "hard" and "soft" still best describes what is desirable for law: traditional academic (rather than practical) subjects with a strong theoretical base. The facilitating subjects fall within that list but so do many others including philosophy.
(edited 8 years ago)
As above - for law most Unis don't specify any subjects, they just want mega-high grades and a stonker PS.

Doing at least one essay-based-subject however (Eng Lit, History, Politics etc) makes sense as you want to be able to show that you can cope with the large amount of reading and text-handling that a Law degree involves. And - if you start a subject like this and realise you dont enjoy that aspect of it, its a good moment to reconsider doing Law.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending