The Student Room Group

Would you cheat on your uni exams to get a 1st, if you knew you wouldn't get caught?

Poll

Would you cheat on your uni exams if you couldn't get caught?

Let's say you find a magic genie who whispers you the answers and there's no way for anyone to find out.

Would you give in to the temptation?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Puddles the Monkey
Let's say you find a magic genie who whispers you the answers and there's no way for anyone to find out.

Would you give in to the temptation?

Hell no, part of my happiness in getting firsts was the sense of achievement from it.
Reply 2
Absolutely yes !
Reply 3
id be tempted but it would weigh to heavily on my mind so no i wouldnt
The guilt would stop me.
Reply 5
No I wouldn't, since it'll mean that I am stupid and lazy to not even bother having a go. Going to uni would eventually become meaningless if I am not bothered to challenge myself, and work hard.
What guilt I felt would be assuaded by the substantial employment opportunities and economic advantages my degree classification would inevitably provide me.
Never ..
Reply 8
If a university needs brain level B to succeed but requires brain level A to get an offer, ofcourse I'd cheat.
Original post by Tiger Rag
The guilt would stop me.

:yep:
I wouldn't - Firstly because it is impossible to know you wouldn't get caught, secondly because I care enough about studying that I'm not going to need a genie.

My suspicion is that anybody who says 'Yes' is probably not on the road to get a first, anyway. :wink: Shortcuts aren't the way to firsts, generally.
Original post by ThatOldGuy
I wouldn't - Firstly because it is impossible to know you wouldn't get caught, secondly because I care enough about studying that I'm not going to need a genie.

My suspicion is that anybody who says 'Yes' is probably not on the road to get a first, anyway. :wink: Shortcuts aren't the way to firsts, generally.

There are other shortcuts to firsts people take. Such as studying at low-tier unis.
Reply 12
Normally I'd say yes but now I kinda have a need to prove to myself what I am capable of.
No because I'm on track for a first anyway
52% would cheat? :afraid: TSR confirmed for ***holes.

Plot twist: cheating in exams is easy anyway, I really hope you don't all do it ;_;
Reply 15
I'm not at uni yet (start in October) but I already know that my answer would be no because of academic integrity and because I wouldn't want to create an inaccurate depiction of my abilities to others.

I already have a slight fear of failing other people's expectations so it'd stress me out to get a 1st and then have people expect a similar performance from me in future when I know I'm not capable.
Reply 16
Original post by Tiger Rag
The guilt would stop me.

SAME! Ill just carry the guilt forever
id cheat to a point, like if i had to remember a formula i almost remember but a tiny bit i cant id cheat there but if it's a major topic i find extremly difficult cheating there would only mean that the next stage of my education is gonna get a LOT harder as they expect me to know that stuff. so yes and no
As much as I'd love to have a First for my undergrad degree classification, if I *did* have one via a magic genie and having cheated, I would always wonder what I would have got without it and feel like a fraud :sadnod:

At least I know my degree result is the fruits of my own labour (well non-labour in my case, but you get what I mean!), even if I am unhappy with it :colondollar:
For people who haven't been to university yet: trust me, after a while, you'd take option this if you could.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending