The Student Room Group

Is Maths a joke for Further Maths students?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EnglishMuon
sss is the goal :smile: how about you?

I'd love to get SSS (love is an understatement) and it actually seems pretty possible based on my recent mocks, but I'm not so confident I'll get that because of how badly the real thing always goes despite doing well in prep.
Original post by IrrationalRoot
I'd love to get SSS (love is an understatement) and it actually seems pretty possible based on my recent mocks, but I'm not so confident I'll get that because of how badly the real thing always goes despite doing well in prep.

No you dont have to say that for step, although sure that could happen, just keep reminding yourself that this is an exam of understanding not expression manipulation so If you have a good understanding you will have a good enough understanding in the actual thing :smile:
No you dont have to say that for step, although sure that could happen, just keep reminding yourself that this is an exam of understanding not expression manipulation so If you have a good understanding you will have a good enough understanding in the actual thing :smile:

That's true, but it can happen that you don't get many questions of the type you're best at doing (say integration, DEs, etc.). But if I get Ss in my mocks I should get Ss in the real thing :smile:.
Original post by spaceman11
Is A Level Maths considered piss-easy for Further Maths students?

The answer is not "piss easy" but rather, Further maths students often have to be very proficient with the material in C3 and C4 for modules like FP2, because the methods used in later Further Pure modules go a step further than C3/C4 or use its techniques. So I'd so rather than most people finding it "piss easy", they're just comfortable with the techniques.

I remember reading somewhere, a complaint that the maths grade boundaries should be separate for maths and further maths students? I made me cringe tbh.
I'm not sure this is correct. When you take those 'extra 6', they're bound to be more advanced modules such as the '2', '3' and possible even '4' or '5' modules (like M2, FP3 etc.). And those modules are inherently harder. For example, compare FP3 to C3.

Well exactly, compare FP3 to C3. They're simply different subjects rather than one being notably harder than the other. C3 will be harder for some people, FP3 harder for others, both will just be hard.
Reply 85
Original post by ozzyoscy
Well exactly, compare FP3 to C3. They're simply different subjects rather than one being notably harder than the other. C3 will be harder for some people, FP3 harder for others, both will just be hard.

FP3 builds on C3 so I can't imagine many people finding it easier.

I think it's safe to say that virtually everyone find FP3 harder than C3, regardless of how difficult they find either of them. Similar with other comparisons of 'later 'modules and 'earlier' modules.
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
FP3 builds on C3 so I can't imagine many people finding it easier.

But it's as you say, FP3 builds on knowledge already gained.

I think it's safe to say that virtually everyone find FP3 harder than C3.

I think it's safe to say some people do not. Now what?

I thinks it's safe to say you're chatting complete nonsense. It seems we are at an impasse

Posted from TSR Mobile

Now nothing. What you've said doesn't contradict my statement.
That's true, but it can happen that you don't get many questions of the type you're best at doing (say integration, DEs, etc.). But if I get Ss in my mocks I should get Ss in the real thing :smile:.

Yep, Im sure youll do it anyway :smile: I reckon if you compare the average step grades of a regular tsr user to the overall mean the tsr grades will be much higher. I used to think getting my cambridge grades was a matter of flipping a coin and saying heads or tails, but because of the help people on here have given me and the work Ive tried to put in, im sure its a matter of you are either definitely ready or not.
Yep, Im sure youll do it anyway :smile: I reckon if you compare the average step grades of a regular tsr user to the overall mean the tsr grades will be much higher. I used to think getting my cambridge grades was a matter of flipping a coin and saying heads or tails, but because of the help people on here have given me and the work Ive tried to put in, im sure its a matter of you are either definitely ready or not.

That'd be awesome if we're both celebrating SSS grades in August haha.
But tbh I'd still be happy with S11, seems more realistic.
So is the offer you have for the normal maths course at Cambridge? Which college?
Original post by drandy76
I thinks it's safe to say you're chatting complete nonsense. It seems we are at an impasse

Posted from TSR Mobile

A highly convincing argument, I can see your point of view, thanks for sharing.

Now nothing. What you've said doesn't contradict my statement.

Your statement was 'X because I say so', so I countered with 'Y because I say so'. Unless you can prove you're the omniscient internet god you insinuated being, your 'I'm right because I believe it' argument doesn't hold up to me applying your logic to myself.
So is the offer you have for the normal maths course at Cambridge? Which college?

Anyone in the step thread who doesn't get at least 1 S has to shave their hair and wear it as a beard(will come to regret this lol)

Posted from TSR Mobile

haha yep! Yeah I agree S11 is likely for me too, but its gotta happen to someone :tongue: Yep its for normal maths at King's. How about you? :smile:
A highly convincing argument, I can see your point of view, thanks for sharing.

Your statement was 'X because I say so', so I countered with 'Y because I say so'. Unless you can prove you're the omniscient internet god you insinuated being, your 'I'm right because I believe it' argument doesn't hold up to me applying your logic to myself.

Lol sorry but no one agrees with your point and you're getting a little bit aggressive/emotional for me. I'm not continuing this. Thanks for your opinion though.
haha yep! Yeah I agree S11 is likely for me too, but its gotta happen to someone :tongue: Yep its for normal maths at King's. How about you? :smile:

Rejected from Cambridge... so going to Warwick instead. Upsetting, but there you go. I got pooled but every college hated my pre-interview test performance so still didn't get in lol.
Rejected from Cambridge... so going to Warwick instead. Upsetting, but there you go. I got pooled but every college hated my pre-interview test performance so still didn't get in lol.

ah im sorry to hear that. You gotta be one of the best at Warwick though. (If I got 3 Ss I would seriously let Cambridge know though, who knows, weirder things have happened).
ah im sorry to hear that. You gotta be one of the best at Warwick though. (If I got 3 Ss I would seriously let Cambridge know though, who knows, weirder things have happened).

Yeah gonna make sure I get that first class degree for Warwick :smile:.
Lol sorry but no one agrees with your point and you're getting a little bit aggressive/emotional for me. I'm not continuing this. Thanks for your opinion though.

What an oddly reactionary thing to say. I don't understand why you're getting this upset. It's no big deal - it's just a forum, people will say things.

Quick Reply

Latest