The Student Room Group

What do Muslims do on Freshers Week???

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by RobML
I mean as in they didn't begin uni at the usual fresher age, and therefore never got involved in that stuff.
Anyway, the past is the past. Don't Muslims preach forgiveness?

Preaching forgiveness doesn't really make sense but I get what you mean. I thought you meant like people in above years who have done all their partying and are starting to chill out. Yeah of course of they're Muslims and realised they shouldn't have done so and therefore repented then that's no problem but I was thinking about people who only stopped because they were bored of it.
Reply 21
Join the ISOC, make friends, explore the uni etc.
hmm, a lot of people do shisha / hookah during freshers (I didnt as I dont smoke). generally just join different socs and meet people through them / library / student accommodation (btw, what subject are you studying at uni if you dont mind me asking?)
Reply 23
Original post by Squishy•
I have been wondering and everyone is always talking about going out partying and etc etc.
Especially living with non Muslims as well it's gonna be annoying because people are gonna come in drunk/play music/ bring in alcohol etc.
What should I/Muslims do for freshers especially?

Join societies, meet people, try make friends.

Honestly, I didn't do much 'partying' in freshers week, and that was back when I did drink more than I do now - just wasn't a huge drinker.

All of that stuff is optional, no one is going to force you to go out with them. Other than the partying, you'll probably do just the same as everyone else when not partying - trying to meet people and make friends. Get to know the people on your course a little more, explore the Uni and get to grips with (probably) a new city.

Especially living with non Muslims as well it's gonna be annoying because people are gonna come in drunk/play music/ bring in alcohol etc.

This is probably more of a problem long term. If you can't cope with living with a few parties for a week, the next few years is going to be tough on you!

Honestly, I understand your concerns. I got frustrated with flat'mates' who trashed the place when they had parties, and halls with loud music playing throughout the night. It's just something you're going to have to live with.

If it's any consolation, there was much less music and partying compared to my first year out of Uni, where my cheap flat had people on two sides who frequently played music at top volume until 3 or 4am on weekdays when I had to get up for work.

Students were great compared to that, but at least the neighbors didn't leave rubbish in my kitchen.
Reply 24
Original post by Hanvyj
Join societies, meet people, try make friends.

Honestly, I didn't do much 'partying' in freshers week, and that was back when I did drink more than I do now - just wasn't a huge drinker.

All of that stuff is optional, no one is going to force you to go out with them. Other than the partying, you'll probably do just the same as everyone else when not partying - trying to meet people and make friends. Get to know the people on your course a little more, explore the Uni and get to grips with (probably) a new city.

This is probably more of a problem long term. If you can't cope with living with a few parties for a week, the next few years is going to be tough on you!

Honestly, I understand your concerns. I got frustrated with flat'mates' who trashed the place when they had parties, and halls with loud music playing throughout the night. It's just something you're going to have to live with.

If it's any consolation, there was much less music and partying compared to my first year out of Uni, where my cheap flat had people on two sides who frequently played music at top volume until 3 or 4am on weekdays when I had to get up for work.

Students were great compared to that, but at least the neighbors didn't leave rubbish in my kitchen.

Oh my god I think I'm almost definitely going into private accommodation now. Thanks!
I'm actually curious now. Do people drink alcohol to mainly get tipsy and party or more for its taste?
Reply 26
Original post by champ_mc99
I'm actually curious now. Do people drink alcohol to mainly get tipsy and party or more for its taste?

Well I always hear people saying how nasty alcohol tastes so it's probably just more for social life. Or for emotional state.
Reply 27

Both. Though I'm more about the taste :hat:
Oh my god I think I'm almost definitely going into private accommodation now. Thanks!

Private student accommodation will still have other students in it. :erm: Unless you mean renting your own place, which, depending on where you go to university, can cost twice as much as halls.
Original post by RobML
Both. Though I'm more about the taste :hat:

Your going to have to convert if you want a hijabi, theres no way any are going to go with a non muslim as it means losing their family
Reply 30
Original post by Hydeman
Private student accommodation will still have other students in it. :erm: Unless you mean renting your own place, which, depending on where you go to university, can cost twice as much as halls.

Well you Gotta do whatchya Gotta do
Original post by Hydeman
Not for the kuffar. :console:

Well actually they do :grouphugs:
Well you Gotta do whatchya Gotta do

If you can afford it, then fair enough.
Well I always hear people saying how nasty alcohol tastes so it's probably just more for social life. Or for emotional state.

I guess we can take a break from Islam for a day and try a little sip right? :biggrin:
Original post by Al-farhan
Well actually they do :grouphugs:

The three reps I got from (as far as I know) Muslim members tell me otherwise. :colone:

I guess we can take a break from Islam for a day and try a little sip right? :biggrin:

A day... or longer. :wink:
I have been wondering and everyone is always talking about going out partying and etc etc.
What should I/Muslims do for freshers especially?

Be friendly, get to know your fellow students.
Having fun does not equate to haram.
Join your isoc, find other sisters and form a hijabi gang.

Mainly to get drunk enough to go to clubs but not too drunk otherwise you won't be allowed in. A minority drink for the taste / outside of clubbing times.
Reply 37
Original post by RobML
Get in with some mature students like me, they tend to be past the stage of rebelling against their parents and getting drunk and high to prove how insanely cool they are

This guy is too horny. Damn!
Original post by Hydeman
A day... or longer. :wink:

Oooh no... any longer and I'll end up a drunken mess and the women will take advantage of these one night stands.

Spoiler

Oooh no... any longer and I'll end up a drunken mess and the women will take advantage of these one night stands.

Spoiler

Yep, us kuffar are that eager to corrupt you. :wink: We have secret meetings where we get together and plan our mischief. xD
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending