The Student Room Group

My mum relies on me for everything and she's ruining my life!

It's been like this since 2012. I cook, clean, do the shopping, take care of my siblings, pay bills etc. I thought going to uni would change that but then she moved to be closer to me and now I live at home. I feel so trapped! The responsibility I have is too much. I'm not working now and it's mostly because of her! When I had shifts she would want me to not go into work to look after my siblings. One of the reasons I quit. I know she works full time and she's a single parent but she's milking it now! I make her breakfast, lunch and dinner! I take my siblings to school. All I hear is I'm of no value to her as I'm not bringing in any money. I was planning to move out this year but I can't now. I've been called selfish and she's refused to send documents to student finance so I get my loan! I have no way out! I don't know what to do. I feel like Cinderella with slight perks.
Original post by Anonymous
It's been like this since 2012. I cook, clean, do the shopping, take care of my siblings, pay bills etc. I thought going to uni would change that but then she moved to be closer to me and now I live at home. I feel so trapped! The responsibility I have is too much. I'm not working now and it's mostly because of her! When I had shifts she would want me to not go into work to look after my siblings. One of the reasons I quit. I know she works full time and she's a single parent but she's milking it now! I make her breakfast, lunch and dinner! I take my siblings to school. All I hear is I'm of no value to her as I'm not bringing in any money. I was planning to move out this year but I can't now. I've been called selfish and she's refused to send documents to student finance so I get my loan! I have no way out! I don't know what to do. I feel like Cinderella with slight perks.

If you completely cut contact with her for a year and move out and then you ll meet estrangement criteria.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
If you completely cut contact with her for a year and move out and then you ll meet estrangement criteria.

I'll be in my last year of uni so there's no point! She's done it so there's no way I can afford to leave
I'll be in my last year of uni so there's no point! She's done it so there's no way I can afford to leave

Go to speak your university for help with this, there must be something they can do. Does your mum care for your siblings at all?
Reply 4
Go to speak your university for help with this, there must be something they can do. Does your mum care for your siblings at all?

I doubt they can do much. Most of the time she's working til late so I take care of them.
I doubt they can do much. Most of the time she's working til late so I take care of them.

So if you left then your siblings would be effectively left alone whilst she was at work? Surely she can get childcare support or working tax credits or something in this situation to pay for someone to care for them.
Reply 6
So if you left then your siblings would be effectively left alone whilst she was at work? Surely she can get childcare support or working tax credits or something in this situation to pay for someone to care for them.

Yes but why would she pay when she has me to do it for free. I can't even afford to leave at this rate. The loan was meant to be my crutch. Slowly losing the will to live!
Yes but why would she pay when she has me to do it for free. I can't even afford to leave at this rate. The loan was meant to be my crutch. Slowly losing the will to live!

Do you have any friends or other relatives you can live with? I would honestly threaten to leave if she doesnt sign your loan papers and if that doesnt work just get out of there if you have somewhere to go.
This is the problem with kids nowadays.
You relied on her during a good portion of your life, and now you can't pay her back for what she's done?
You sound extremely selfish and ungrateful.
Being a single parent with kids is hard you know, you'll know that when you become a parent yourself.

Grow up and show some respect.
Reply 9
Do you have any friends or other relatives you can live with? I would honestly threaten to leave if she doesnt sign your loan papers and if that doesnt work just get out of there if you have somewhere to go.

I've already threatened to leave but I don't think it's done anything more than infuriate her. I've got no family here and my friends are all in student accommodation.
This is the problem with kids nowadays.
You relied on her during a good portion of your life, and now you can't pay her back for what she's done?
You sound extremely selfish and ungrateful.
Being a single parent with kids is hard you know, you'll know that when you become a parent yourself.

Grow up and show some respect.

You don't know anything about me so how dare you sit behind a screen and judge me?! She wasn't even around for most of my life! If anything I've been a burden to her! At six I was changing nappies is that something you've had to do? As far as I'm concerned I've raised myself and my siblings! She's not a bad person but I just don't think she was ever ready to be a mother. I'm not selfish I've done this for too long! I don't even have a social life! But I'm not going to explain myself to you!
I agree-ask her to send the student finance documents or threaten to leave. From your post it sounds like she is so dependent on you that if you do threaten to leave she will have no choice but to sign the papers. If she still doesn't sign them, though, leave - stay with a friend, get a new job (or your old one back if they'll have you) and focus on your own life and education. If you don't stop it now it's just going to carry on and get worse.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending