The Student Room Group

Boyfriend doesnt want me to get a tattoo but i really want one.

I want a medium sized tattoo on my shoulder and also was thinking of getting one on my leg. My boyfriend has been begging me not to though as he says they dont look nice on women. The thing is he has a total of 9 including a big one covering his shoulder! How can someone who has tattoos themself not like them? Am i supposed to just tespect his wishes and not get any?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
He can't tell you what to do... go for it :cute:
(edited 8 years ago)
Your tattoo will last longer than your boyfriend, statistically.
Reply 3
Dump him and be with me. I like tattoos and ballsy girls (not literally ballsy though)
Reply 4
Tell him to put his right hand in front of his face and talk to it. If you want a tattoo, get one
It's your body. As long as you're 100% sure you want it then go for it! Often when your loved ones are against you getting a tattoo, once it's over and done with they end up loving it the most lol.
Reply 6
I'm biaised, I hate tattoes too and wouldn't like if my GF wanted one either (I don't have any, unlike your BF). But I guess if you really want one you'll get one anyway. But the guy is right, tattoes don't look nice (that's my opinion).
It's your choice as it's your body. However, consider the fact that if he isn't attracted to women with tattoos then he may be less attracted to you. If you're okay with that, then go ahead.
Well thats not particularly supportive of him. If hes got tattoos then surely you should be able too without him being concerned. I dont understand how he can have them but you cant. Makes no damn sense.
You can do whatever you want. Its your body, your life, your decision.
Do what you want to do not what he wants you to do!
If you want tattoos then get them. If your boyfriend likes you as a person (rather than based on misogynistic views of how you look) then he shouldn't be less attracted to you because you've made a personal decision about your body and he should support your choices.
I don't think it's controlling, you have a right to be sexually / romantically attracted to the person you are with, if they alter their body in any shape or form that significantly changes that then you should be able to go elsewhere. Is it ok if I get fat? Get a dick piercing? Throw out my suit and wear some horrible leggings?

A lot of people in relationships are selfish, they think they can do whatever they want, no, no you can't, the point of a relationship is that you now have to take into account two people.

If you can't agree on those things find someone else.
In my opinion tattoos are not a good idea
Reply 12
Original post by SmallTownGirl
If you want tattoos then get them. If your boyfriend likes you as a person (rather than based on misogynistic views of how you look) then he shouldn't be less attracted to you because you've made a personal decision about your body and he should support your choices.

Do you honestly believe someone shouldn't be less attracted to someone if theyve changed their body in a way that they dislike?

Being attracted to someone as a person includes the physical aspects.
Original post by ODES_PDES
In my opinion tattoos are not a good idea

This is incredibly judgemental but if someone gets a tattoo it tells me they can't plan long term / horrible aesthetic taste so yeah it's a definite deal breaker.

Oh well, I reserve the right to be horrible when the welfare of my mental health & future children is at stake
Original post by DanteTheDoorKnob
I don't think it's controlling, you have a right to be sexually / romantically attracted to the person you are with, if they alter their body in any shape or form that significantly changes that then you should be able to go elsewhere. Is it ok if I get fat? Get a dick piercing? Throw out my suit and wear some horrible leggings?

A lot of people in relationships are selfish, they think they can do whatever they want, no, no you can't, the point of a relationship is that you now have to take into account two people.

If you can't agree on those things find someone else.

It's OP's body. No-one has to 'take into account' another person's opinion on what they do with their body. No-one is saying OP's boyfriend has to stay in the relationship whatever. But NO-ONE has the right to tell another person what to do with their body. Body autonomy doesn't end when you get into a romantic and/or sexual relationship.
Don't.
Original post by Xenon17
If a woman gets a tattoo that's basically a stamp that says slut

No it isn't. Unless it's a butterfly on your lower back, then a tattoo isn't a comment on someone's sexual activity.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Reue
Do you honestly believe someone shouldn't be less attracted to someone if theyve changed their body in a way that they dislike?

Being attracted to someone as a person includes the physical aspects.

If someone making a choice to alter their body in a purely aesthetic way when you've already made that choice for yourself means you aren't attracted to them any more (or are less attracted to them) then you weren't really attracted to them as more than an object in the first place.
Reply 18
Original post by SmallTownGirl
If someone making a choice to alter their body in a purely aesthetic way when you've already made that choice for yourself means you aren't attracted to them any more (or are less attracted to them) then you weren't really attracted to them as more than an object in the first place.

I think you've totally over simplified it and I disagree. But I've made my point and it's not worth an argument over.
Original post by AmazingArry
No it isn't. Unless it's a butterfly on your lower back, then a tattoo isn't a comment on someone's sexual activity.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not my opinion but that's how society works fair or not the real world ain't fair.

Latest

Trending

Trending