The Student Room Group

The British Empire - was it worth it?

What do you think?

Do you think it was worth it for Britain to have had it? Or not?

Thoughts, people!
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'm not aware of any real impacts British Colonialism had on today's society other than potentially giving us our crippling tea addiction (and that might not even be accurate I'm spouting rubbish).

somebody pls educate
Reply 2
I imagine that the rich Britons whose ancestors made it big via the exploitation of other countries people and resources would say it was well worth it.
In terms of for Britain, ultimately, no. Look at where it got us now. We act like it didn't happen because, for some reason, people seem to be ashamed of it for some reason and the world treats us like we're just a worthless country despite we practically built up the superpowers of the modern world.

"Arrogance is what made the British Empire.... And lost it.... And then pretended it never happened."

In terms of the world now, yeah, I think it was. English is the dominant language or whatever and western culture is the dominate culture in about 60% of the world now, all because of the foundations laid down by the British Empire.
Was it worth it well yes, While all the slavery was bad and everything its pro's outweigh the cons. We created nations and we brought the industrial age to a start (not that other countries didn't help)
We improved a lot of places and we did what any good nation would do, colonize and expand becoming the biggest empire ever, we cemented our self in world politics for the future.
and the history of the empire is totally fascinating.
Original post by similarBlank
In terms of for Britain, ultimately, no. Look at where it got us now. We act like it didn't happen because, for some reason, people seem to be ashamed of it for some reason and the world treats us like we're just a worthless country despite we practically built up the superpowers of the modern world.

"Arrogance is what made the British Empire.... And lost it.... And then pretended it never happened."

In terms of the world now, yeah, I think it was. English is the dominant language or whatever and western culture is the dominate culture in about 60% of the world now, all because of the foundations laid down by the British Empire.

Yeah good point, the fall of the empire was rather sad and really was a shock for Britain and seeing what it once was is kinda sad, but you have to remember without that Britain would just be a smallish island with not much significance today.
Original post by Retired_Messiah
I'm not aware of any real impacts British Colonialism had on today's society other than potentially giving us our crippling tea addiction (and that might not even be accurate I'm spouting rubbish).

somebody pls educate

Nah, it doesn't have any proper impacts for today

but it allows middle classed Britons to feel "pride" about how much power Britain once had

Pfft. Stupid.
Original post by ZiggyStarDust_
Nah, it doesn't have any proper impacts for today

but it allows middle classed Britons to feel "pride" about how much power Britain once had

Pfft. Stupid.

Sounds pretty pointless.

Did it do the tea tho? I need to know if facts I pull outta my ass are any good
Original post by similarBlank

Can I just say, your profile picture is absolutely 100% sexy.

Secondly.
I can see why people are ashamed of the British Empire considering the made people from their own countries slaves. There was a lot of corruption in there - it wasn't all about being powerful and almightly.

Also mandarin Chinese is the most dominant language not English.

but cool stuff.
Sounds pretty pointless.

Did it do the tea tho? I need to know if facts I pull outta my ass are any good

It did do the whole tea thing, yup. We got tea from India.

So yeah, you should carry on pulling facts from your ass. It's doing you good.
Original post by AperfectBalance
Yeah good point, the fall of the empire was rather sad and really was a shock for Britain and seeing what it once was is kinda sad, but you have to remember without that Britain would just be a smallish island with not much significance today.

Like SimilarBlank, you too also have a very 100% sexy profile picture.

You see the fall of the empire as sad? I see it as a relief. Sure, Britain had control. But it was stopping other countries from having their own independence. And that sucks, man
Original post by CCC75
I imagine that the rich Britons whose ancestors made it big via the exploitation of other countries people and resources would say it was well worth it.

Totally agree with this ^
It did do the whole tea thing, yup. We got tea from India.

So yeah, you should carry on pulling facts from your ass. It's doing you good.

he British Empire was bad then as it forced everybody to drink tea and now there's a huge social pressure on me to start drinking it even tho the taste is bland af

I'm gettin to the real issues here.
I wouldn't have been born otherwise, so I'm happy.
he British Empire was bad then as it forced everybody to drink tea and now there's a huge social pressure on me to start drinking it even tho the taste is bland af

I'm gettin to the real issues here.

wow, keep talking like that and you might even sound like a proper politician. Amazing.

but tea isn't bland though(ouch), i can't believe you actually just posted that

some of us are dedicated tea drinkers, you know.
Original post by Dinasaurus

what's so special about your existence

wouldn't you sacrifice yourself for the good of the other countries
Original post by Dinasaurus

Same, I'm also grateful for the success this country's achieved through colonialism because it means I can have the quality of life I do now.
what's so special about your existence

wouldn't you sacrifice yourself for the good of the other countries

Not personally no, you're saying you would?
Highly beneficial, particularly for Britain due to the trade benefits leading to greater wealth

somebody pls educate

You are not aware of any impacts that colonialism has had on society today?....

...OK that it's I'm out. I'm leaving the planet. Goodbye all of you. People here are too stupid for me to tolerate.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply