The Student Room Group

Dropping an AS at this stage in the year?

I am totally fed up with politics, I was really looking forward to studying it as I am quite politically involved outside of school but i am disappointed with the course/class/teaching. It is becoming unbearable and really stressing me out, I am capable of passing, but it would take a lot of self teaching etc.. which will have a knock on effect on my other AS exams I am doing. Politics has not changed to a linear course, and I have full intention to drop it at the end of the year anyway. Is there any point in sitting the exam? will my UCAS points I gain from it even be worth anything, now the whole system has changed?

-I will be applying to Cambridge+ Russel groups in October and do not want this to negatively impact my chances or application.

Any advice ?

Scroll to see replies

Cambridge like 4 A levels generally.
You could email universities to ask them what they think.
Only drop it if you don't feel as though you'd get less than an A , considering your aiming for the top.
With the new A level reforms, applying with 3 A levels is fine.
Reply 2
Original post by Lemauricien
Cambridge like 4 A levels generally.
You could email universities to ask them what they think.
Only drop it if you don't feel as though you'd get less than an A , considering your aiming for the top.
With the new A level reforms, applying with 3 A levels is fine.

Yeah that's what I thought, it sounds pathetic but it's probably best to have no grade than anything lower than an A. Most colleges/6th forms didn't even allow their students to take up 4 as/a levels so I feel if it's a national predicament that is out of a candidates control they can't show preference over another if they weren't given the opportunity.
Are you doing well in your other subjects?
it's nearly exam time and you might as well do the exam for extra ucas points - with just 3 A levels your application will be weak unless you get good grades? it spoiled my application :frown: ha
Reply 5
no way, im sure your school aint gonna let you drop a subject at this time.... i tried to drop a subject a 2 months ago and they refused, i'd be surprised if any college.sixth form allows that
Original post by espicton98
I am totally fed up with politics, I was really looking forward to studying it as I am quite politically involved outside of school but i am disappointed with the course/class/teaching. It is becoming unbearable and really stressing me out, I am capable of passing, but it would take a lot of self teaching etc.. which will have a knock on effect on my other AS exams I am doing. Politics has not changed to a linear course, and I have full intention to drop it at the end of the year anyway. Is there any point in sitting the exam? will my UCAS points I gain from it even be worth anything, now the whole system has changed?

-I will be applying to Cambridge+ Russel groups in October and do not want this to negatively impact my chances or application.

Any advice ?

you won't have a chance at cambridge without 4 AS levels lol
Yeah that's what I thought, it sounds pathetic but it's probably best to have no grade than anything lower than an A. Most colleges/6th forms didn't even allow their students to take up 4 as/a levels so I feel if it's a national predicament that is out of a candidates control they can't show preference over another if they weren't given the opportunity.

it's better to get a B than not to have it at all. Almost everyone is allowed to do 4 a levels
Reply 8
Original post by BasicMistake
Are you doing well in your other subjects?

yes
Reply 9
Original post by richpanda
you won't have a chance at cambridge without 4 AS levels lol

why would they only ask for 3 a levels then? you are aware of the massive changes to the system ?
You may as well take it. Previous investments shouldn't be considered when making a decision, so you'd essentially be getting an AS for the price of a few weeks' work as opposed to dropping it. I think the qualification is worth a few weeks' work at least. Most universities don't care, but it's still good to have more, especially when the cost is so low. An X on your UCAS application also wouldn't look very good.
Original post by morgan8002
You may as well take it. Previous investments shouldn't be considered when making a decision, so you'd essentially be getting an AS for the price of a few weeks' work as opposed to dropping it. I think the qualification is worth a few weeks' work at least. Most universities don't care, but it's still good to have more, especially when the cost is so low. An X on your UCAS application also wouldn't look very good.

It wouldn't show up as an X, it would be as if I never went to the lessons/ learnt the subject in the first place. I am not that silly ahaha if it was a risk of still being entered and coming out with a U then I would perserve but I can opt out completely.
It wouldn't show up as an X, it would be as if I never went to the lessons/ learnt the subject in the first place. I am not that silly ahaha if it was a risk of still being entered and coming out with a U then I would perserve but I can opt out completely.

The deadline for on time entry is in February I think. You should have been entered by now.

Original post by morgan8002
The deadline for on time entry is in February I think. You should have been entered by now.

Seconded. If you haven't been issued with an exam timetable, you will soon. In GCSE, someone in my class dropped out just prior to exams and got an X for Latin. You really don't want this mark on your UCAS.

You said you were doing fine in your other subjects which leads me to believe that you are capable of doing Politics as well. Ultimately, it is up to you but I would say that the extra time studying is worth that fourth AS, especially if you're going to apply for the top universities.

Any advice ?

I would strongly discourage you not turning up to the exam. Especially if you're applying to Cambridge. It may constitute a rejection pre-interview.
Some RG unis (UCL for example) ask for a pass in a fourth AS so make sure you've seen exactly what the unis want

As far as I know, Cambridge look at your strongest 3 so just do the exam and even if you get a C it won't affect your UCAS there. But... that extra grade will add up UCAS points (cambridge require a lot) which a lot of unis (like queen mary) put lots of emphasis on.
why would they only ask for 3 a levels then? you are aware of the massive changes to the system ?

AS is not the same as A2?
Original post by richpanda
AS is not the same as A2?

AS doesn't technically exist anymore apart from in politics, maths and general studies or something like that. It's all changed.
Original post by jamestg
I would strongly discourage you not turning up to the exam. Especially if you're applying to Cambridge. It may constitute a rejection pre-interview.

If the OP withdraws from the exam officially the she won't get an X. Your school may make you pay for the exam fee entry since they won't get a refund.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest