The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Marlborough solsbury v.s. the Quads. Why is the former more popular?

Have to decide, decide, decide!
Original post by bathstudent16

Probably more people want to be self-catered as opposed to part-catered as it probably works out cheaper/more choice
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Hello!

I'm Rob, a second year civil engineer.

As has been said, the main difference between the two is that the Quads is part catered. This means that you get £25 catering credit each week which you can spend at any of the food outlets of campus. This will pay for around half of your meals, and then you have a shared kitchen where you can cook the rest. Marlborough and Solsbury are self catered so you will need to cook all of your own meals.

Other than that difference, they are relatively similar. Quads is a little newer but the rooms are a little smaller. The price is the same for both (if you exclude the £25 catering credit).

Hope that helps,

Rob

Original post by bathstudent16
Original post by University Of Bath
Marlborough and Solsbury are self catered so you will need to cook all of your own meals.

I feel its a little confusing to word it like this. Anyone can buy food and eat at any of the cafe / restaurants around campus. The only difference the part-catered and catered guys have, is that they are already preloaded with money (every month?) on their campus card. I find that a little restrictive, but they do get a slight discount on the food they buy though, because they get more credit money than how much it costed them for a catered option per month. So theres that.
Original post by TheTungsten74
I feel its a little confusing to word it like this. Anyone can buy food and eat at any of the cafe / restaurants around campus. The only difference the part-catered and catered guys have, is that they are already preloaded with money (every month?) on their campus card. I find that a little restrictive, but they do get a slight discount on the food they buy though, because they get more credit money than how much it costed them for a catered option per month. So theres that.

Hi,

You are absolutely correct, anybody is entitled to purchase any of the food on campus regardless of where they live. The only difference would be that £25 becomes £27.50 of credit, this doesn't really influence the cost of a meal too much. I live in Quads, so benefit from the catering credit. The credit is ideal as my parents and I know that I have money readily available to spend on food, I would like to think that I am responsible however some people spend their money on things that aren't essential and are left with no money for food! The social aspect of being catered is great, as you know that everybody has the money available to meet you for dinner. I have made so many good friends just by having dinner!

The credit is updated with every payment that you make to the university, so you have lots of flexibility about when you wish to spend it.

If you have any other questions feel free to let me know!

Hayden
Reply 5
Original post by University Of Bath
Hi,

You are absolutely correct, anybody is entitled to purchase any of the food on campus regardless of where they live. The only difference would be that £25 becomes £27.50 of credit, this doesn't really influence the cost of a meal too much. I live in Quads, so benefit from the catering credit. The credit is ideal as my parents and I know that I have money readily available to spend on food, I would like to think that I am responsible however some people spend their money on things that aren't essential and are left with no money for food! The social aspect of being catered is great, as you know that everybody has the money available to meet you for dinner. I have made so many good friends just by having dinner!

The credit is updated with every payment that you make to the university, so you have lots of flexibility about when you wish to spend it.

If you have any other questions feel free to let me know!

Hayden

How many people share a kitchen in quads? I know two flats share one social space so that's about 20 people, but 20 would be too much for one kitchen.

could you also tell me where quads bay is exactly? I think there are two quads buildings and one is attached to the lime tree
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by sara_od
How many people share a kitchen in quads? I know two flats share one social space so that's about 20 people, but 20 would be too much for one kitchen.

could you also tell me where quads bay is exactly? I think there are two quads buildings and one is attached to the lime tree

It's 10 people to a kitchen.

The arrangement is two flats of 10 with a kitchen at one end and at the other is the common room which joins the two flats.

Quads Acer, Bay and Chestnut are all cross shaped (about 4 flats of 10 on each floor) and from the outside are the same building (the one attached to lime tree) However are separate inside.
Actually Chestnut is T-shaped, three flats per floor.

Quick Reply

Latest