The Student Room Group

GCSE English coursework essay.

hello, my English literature coursework essay is nearly 4 times over the word limit. if people could give me suggests in regards to how to cut down my words that would be very helpful.

also I would greatly appreciate it if someone could look through my essay and tell me the parts which could be potentially taken out.

thank-you very much for your time :smile:
Original post by hannahrobinsxn
hello, my English literature coursework essay is nearly 4 times over the word limit. if people could give me suggests in regards to how to cut down my words that would be very helpful.

also I would greatly appreciate it if someone could look through my essay and tell me the parts which could be potentially taken out.

Unfortunately I wont have enough time to look through it since Im already behind in all my work and revision

BUT

4x is a MASSIVE margin if it was smaller I would say
1) using hyphens where possible: makes two words one word
2) replacing numbers over 10 with figures (perfectly standard in academic writing)
3) re-structuring/re-writing paragraphs as oppose to trying to cut word by measly word
4) using synonyms to turn standardized phrases into single words
5) checking with your professor/assistant to see if the abstract/key words/bibliography/appendices/graph titles etc count in the limit
6) asking whether there is the "usual leeway" of 10% above/below the limit
7) using colons, semi-colons, dashes where possible-- instead of "and"s etc
8) having two people separately edit the essay to try and cut words out (perhaps give them each a version with different sentences missing and see if they comment on the "flow")
9) re-consider the introduction; often you just get used to paragraphs 'sounding' a certain way based on re-reading them but some of the intro detail is superfluous/obvious
10) if submitting a hard copy only, don't include the word count or round it down a little (by a believable amount only of course!)

But since its so much

Have you answered the question DIRECTLY and nothing else. Maybe youve got TOO MANY CASE STUIDES/EXAMPLES/REASONING thats isnt needed

again 4x is alot too much, maybe vut your arguments from 7 to you strongest 3 for example and use the 10 tips

but defo cut out some big points first, 4x is a lot xD
Reply 2
Original post by ForestShadow
Unfortunately I wont have enough time to look through it since Im already behind in all my work and revision

BUT

4x is a MASSIVE margin if it was smaller I would say
1) using hyphens where possible: makes two words one word
2) replacing numbers over 10 with figures (perfectly standard in academic writing)
3) re-structuring/re-writing paragraphs as oppose to trying to cut word by measly word
4) using synonyms to turn standardized phrases into single words
5) checking with your professor/assistant to see if the abstract/key words/bibliography/appendices/graph titles etc count in the limit
6) asking whether there is the "usual leeway" of 10% above/below the limit
7) using colons, semi-colons, dashes where possible-- instead of "and"s etc
8) having two people separately edit the essay to try and cut words out (perhaps give them each a version with different sentences missing and see if they comment on the "flow")
9) re-consider the introduction; often you just get used to paragraphs 'sounding' a certain way based on re-reading them but some of the intro detail is superfluous/obvious
10) if submitting a hard copy only, don't include the word count or round it down a little (by a believable amount only of course!)

But since its so much

Have you answered the question DIRECTLY and nothing else. Maybe youve got TOO MANY CASE STUIDES/EXAMPLES/REASONING thats isnt needed

again 4x is alot too much, maybe vut your arguments from 7 to you strongest 3 for example and use the 10 tips

but defo cut out some big points first, 4x is a lot xD

thank you very much for your points, yeah i kind of went quite overboard when writing my essay. i have noticed that i have quite a lot of 'fancy' vocab, so will try working on making the essay more concise. agh i hate making things concise lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, I can have a look at it for you if you want. :smile:
Reply 4
Don't think you get penalised (at least not too much) for being over the word limit. I guess it depends on the exam board.

Plus, I believe only a few actually get sent to be marked, the rest just go down as being whatever grade your teacher gave it.
Reply 5
Original post by Mochassassin
Hey, I can have a look at it for you if you want. :smile:

yes, that would be amazing :smile: I will message you it? thank you very much
yes, that would be amazing :smile: I will message you it? thank you very much

Sure, PM me by all means! You're welcome. :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by .JC.
Don't think you get penalised (at least not too much) for being over the word limit. I guess it depends on the exam board.

Plus, I believe only a few actually get sent to be marked, the rest just go down as being whatever grade your teacher gave it.

unfortunately it was my teacher who picked me up on it.

Quick Reply

Latest