The Student Room Group

KC Calculation

Can someone help me with the solution to this problem please?

200.0 g of ethyl ethanoate and 7.0 g of water were refluxed together. At equilibrium, the mixture contained 0.25 mol of ethanoic acid. Calculate Kc for the hydrolysis of ethyl ethanoate.
CH3COOCH2CH3(l) + H2O(l) CH3COOH(l) + CH3CH2OH(l)Thank you :smile:
Original post by emfrostyy

200.0 g of ethyl ethanoate and 7.0 g of water were refluxed together. At equilibrium, the mixture contained 0.25 mol of ethanoic acid. Calculate Kc for the hydrolysis of ethyl ethanoate.

Sure, I'll help. What gave you done so far?

What can't you do?

Work out the moles of all of the components remaining at equilibrium ...
Reply 3
I'm not sure if this is correct but what I would do is find the initial moles of Ethyl ethanoate and water by using the n=mass/Mr formula.

Then I can find out the number of moles in equilibrium from Ethyl ethanoate and water and then substitute it in the Kc expression.

I doubt I'm right though :redface:
Reply 4
Original post by TeachChemistry
Sure, I'll help. What gave you done so far?

Can you see my previous post? Not sure if it's correct and I'll remove it if it is incorrect. :redface:

Black male

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dinaa
Can you see my previous post? Not sure if it's correct and I'll remove it if it is incorrect. :redface:

Correct approach
Reply 7
I've worked out the moles but was just stuck from there, do I have to find the concentrations?
I've worked out the moles but was just stuck from there, do I have to find the concentrations?

What is the Kc equation in this example?

Quick Reply

Latest