The Student Room Group

Can hard work outdo natural talent/genetics?

Poll

Can hard work outdo natural talent/genetics?

It's fairly obvious that some people are born more suitably adapted to a specific activity compared to others, be that in academia, sport, singing, acting, appearance etc.. Society has you believe that individuals who are less genetically gifted don't stand a chance against the ones who are, especially in regards to the physical activities (assuming both work hard at a similar intensity). But is it the same in regards to the mental ones? Can a harder working individual outdo another who is slightly less hardworking though naturally more intelligent? Or does natural talent/genetics still trump rigorous labour :redface:

Scroll to see replies

I think so

Original post by TheFarmerLad
Can a harder working individual outdo another who is slightly less hardworking though naturally more intelligent?
I think this depends on the scale, being naturally will allow you to outperform hard workers up to a point. This would include primary tests, SATS, some entrance exams at secondary lvls and even GCSEs. But at A level and uni its not possible then I reckon:tongue:
Or does natural talent/genetics still trump rigorous labour :redface:
It does until a point and depends on how rigorous the labour is
(edited 8 years ago)
It's somewhat more difficult to gauge intellectual talent than physical talent, but I think in general the people who are at the top of a particular activity are those who have a fine natural talent for it and have worked very, very hard to get there.
It's fairly obvious that some people are born more suitably adapted to a specific activity compared to others, be that in academia, sport, singing, acting, appearance etc.. Society has you believe that individuals who are less genetically gifted don't stand a chance against the ones who are, especially in regards to the physical activities (assuming both work hard at a similar intensity). But is it the same in regards to the mental ones? Can a harder working individual outdo another who is slightly less hardworking though naturally more intelligent? Or does natural talent/genetics still trump rigorous labour :redface:

Depends how hard you work
In academic matters, probably not unless the more intelligent person is extremely lazy and doesn't even bother to take in the teaching material. In the workplace, people with less impressive education backgrounds can absolutely succeed over those who are highly educated purely by grafting their way to the top, teaching themselves new skills and having the right personality to blag their way into every opportunity.

In a lot of cases, confidence matters more than intelligence. :smile:
Reply 5
In sports like martial arts, gymnastics, basketball or anything where height/flexibility is a major advantage... never.

In terms of academia, no matter how hard you work you'll probably never be as good as someone who has a natural talent for maths or physics. Everything else is a level playing field

Yes to an extent, hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.
HOWEVER, If talent works hard then you are :shot:

NO and that's the truth, assuming both people work just as hard but one is more talented than the other, the talented will always proceed futher and the untalented one. How do i know this?

In my learning i've basically hit a wall where everyone else in my class is understanding everything and i'm sat in class being derpy and understanding nothing. The teacher asks everyone in the class does you all understand this? he'll go round everyone then he'll come to me last then i'll pause for a minute and say no. From this i have to spend time on it, i don't believe the myth that smart ppl don't work and can get the grades they do, i believe they do work just less than others. HOWEVER the case with me is that i have to spend up to 2 times as much times learning the stuff compared to the average person. Not the smart people the average person. So from this is have concluded that hard work can't outdo talent. I'm a prime example of that(so are my physics grades where they told me the harder i worked the worse grades i got >.>). Talent always goes further maybe you can reach the level talented people have but you'll never go past them.
Original post by ForestShadow
I think so

I think this depends on the scale, being naturally will allow you to outperform hard workers up to a point. This would include primary tests, SATS, some entrance exams at secondary lvls and even GCSEs. But at A level and uni its not possible then I reckon:tongue:
It does until a point and depends on how rigorous the labour is

For the record I know plenty of people who have done exceptionally well at A level through sheer effort. Like, perfect UMS just grinding past papers and content again and again. University depending on the subject and institution is probably a bigger step up though, can't speak for all of them but it was for me.
Nope, those that are gifted/talented have been blessed to excel at what they do.

Edit: Life is unfair-Its more to do with nature(birth-) than nurture(environment)
(edited 8 years ago)
I think you can personally; used to be terrible when I was younger but through great effort have improved my academic ability 100 fold.

The research seems to suggest that genetics has considerable implications; and is indirectly suggested by the heritability of cognitive diseases/disorders... but a lot of what you are is down to environment and epigenetics as well it seems. Not sure about ratio.

Being genetically gifted or having natural talent may mean that you have greater potential but somebody of average potential with a brilliant attitude will probably beat them (although there are certainly people who will never achieve enough simply because they are not bright enough).
I don't know what you mean by "naturally talented" in the academic sense (maybe for maths?) because everyone at my uni who's got excellent results have been and are extremely hard-working.
Wilma Rudolph contracted infantile paralysis from Polio when she was four and had to wear a brace on her leg until aged 9. She was the first American woman to win 3 Gold medals in a single Olympic Games (for sprinting).

Yeah I'd say hard work can outdo natural advantage.
Original post by Gwilym101
Wilma Rudolph contracted infantile paralysis from Polio when she was four and had to wear a brace on her leg until aged 9. She was the first American woman to win 3 Gold medals in a single Olympic Games (for sprinting).

Yeah I'd say hard work can outdo natural advantage.

She could easily be 'naturally talented' as well, but required more hard work than she would've otherwise to realise this potential due to her circumstances

Posted from TSR Mobile
Most people yeah

for me no

I put in the most hours in a levels. revise 4pm - 5:20pm every school day. and every saturday 12pm -4pm in libary. didnt get good grades

i been lifting for ages. still look like i dont even lift.

**** this
Original post by Proxenus
Most people yeah

for me no

I put in the most hours in a levels. revise 4pm - 5:20pm every school day. and every saturday 12pm -4pm in libary. didnt get good grades

i been lifting for ages. still look like i dont even lift.

**** this

Original post by Proxenus
Im too lazy to exercise and I love food :3

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=64094319&postcount=7

I don't need to jump to a conclusion here, I can reach it from my chair.
I think it usually does.
I've seen hard work outdo a natural knack for stuff in academic settings certainly.

Dunno about other stuff but I can't see why the same sorta thing wouldn't apply.
Original post by Laomedeia
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=64094319&postcount=7

I don't need to jump to a conclusion here, I can reach it from my chair.

haha classic

Quick Reply

Latest