The Student Room Group

To Med students and doctors

Would you still go ahead with studying Medicine if you had the experience you have now and are aware of the difficulties and good sides of studying this degree and working as a doctor?
Original post by 1lastchance
Would you still go ahead with studying Medicine if you had the experience you have now and are aware of the difficulties and good sides of studying this degree and working as a doctor?

Yes. There are huge downsides, mainly having to move jobs and house so frequently, but frankly virtually all other careers out there are so ****ing boring in comparison.
Original post by nexttime
Yes. There are huge downsides, mainly having to move jobs and house so frequently, but frankly virtually all other careers out there are so ****ing boring in comparison.

This. Really nothing else to add. Very succinct.

Even my worst day as a med student was still better than my best day as a non-medical undergrad.
In retrospect I might have considered studying something such as international relations, development studies, or languages - but I didn't like any of those things before applying to medical school. But I feel that regardless of what I had studied I would have eventually have always come around to a career that would fit around the area of my interest.
Original post by Democracy
Even my worst day as a med student was still better than my best day as a non-medical undergrad.

This.

Most medical students/doctors are simply not aware of how dull, stressful, under paid, and downright terrible most other jobs are. Wishful notions of doing something else other than medicine is just ******** 'grass is greener' thinking for 99% of us.
Only a third year medical student, so I don't have as much insight as a lot of people on here, but absolutely yes. I have only questioned my decision once so far at medical school and that was after a lot of personal stuff and a bad day, and for 20 seconds I persuaded myself that I couldn't do it and needed to quit. Then I had a cup of tea, and remembered everything I love about being on the wards and how lucky and priveliged I am to be in this situation
Reply 6
I really wouldn't do anything else. I *love* medicine, and haven't regretted my choice once, although I do occasionally jest about wishing to have done dentistry, what with its easier course content and higher pay.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending