The Student Room Group

Astrophysics/Astronomy options

What a level options do you think are best suited for studying astrophysics or astronomy in the future? My current options are Maths, physics, further maths and chemistry. Im not particularly interested in chemistry to be honest. Are the any other options I could do to study this course? Thank you
Physics and maths is all you need. Your 4th AS can be anything, so choose a subject that you enjoy/is easy - to avoid any additional stress.
I am currently an A Level and I plan on studying physics next year at university.
As long you physics and maths most uni don't care what your fourth AS is in. I did Spanish at AS and I still got offers from most of my unis. I would say for your fourth one do a subject which you are actually interested in and you would enjoy.
Reply 3
You don't need chemistry. Don't do it if you're not interested in it.
Geography or Geology could be useful if your college offers it, but you don't really need anything specific apart from maths and physics, so pick something you're more interested in if you don't really like chemistry :smile:
Thank you. Im quite interested in philosophy. Would this be an ok option?
Reply 6
Yes - your 4th subject doesn't matter so long you do okay in Maths, Physics and Further Maths. Do something you're interested in for the 4th option!
Original post by aymanzayedmannan
Yes - your 4th subject doesn't matter so long you do okay in Maths, Physics and Further Maths. Do something you're interested in for the 4th option!

Cheers. So if I dropped philosophy at AS, any uni wouldn't care?
Reply 8
Nopes, most people do 3 A2s anyway and offers are based on 3 A levels usually, not 4. For example, most of my offers listed down 3 subjects even though I do 4.
Yeo that's fine to do Astrophysics
Nopes, most people do 3 A2s anyway and offers are based on 3 A levels usually, not 4. For example, most of my offers listed down 3 subjects even though I do 4.

Once again thanks. Thats quite relieving actually, i think maths, physics and further maths alone are enough lol. What options are you taking atm?
Reply 11
I took the same as you + chem and biology at AS. Dropped biology at A2, but kept chemistry 'cause I don't need much UMS to get an A overall.
I took the same as you + chem and biology at AS. Dropped biology at A2, but kept chemistry 'cause I don't need much UMS to get an A overall.

Damn. How did you find it, particularly further maths and physics?
Maths, further maths and physics are all you need. AFM is a good option but there's no need.
Reply 14
Nothing is too bad at AS. A2 further maths is a little more difficult, but nothing too bad. I won't comment on physics because I know nothing about the linear A levels. :lol:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending