The Student Room Group

Is 24 too old to start university and live in halls?

I'm going to be starting university this year at the age of 24. I have worked since leaving school but im going for a complete career change and ive gotten an unconditional offer for the best uni in the UK for my course so I would be daft not to go.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nomad992
I'm going to be starting university this year at the age of 24. I have worked since leaving school but im going for a complete career change and ive gotten an unconditional offer for the best uni in the UK for my course so I would be daft not to go.

However I am slightly anxious about being the old guy when i get down there. I just want to be able to fit in, have a nice time and do well on my course. I dont really drink very much anymore although i have no objection to it at all and I like to stay fit and want to join a lot of societies.

So what do you think, am I too old to fit in and enjoy it all?

I dont think its too old at all :smile:

However I am slightly anxious about being the old guy when i get down there. I just want to be able to fit in, have a nice time and do well on my course. I dont really drink very much anymore although i have no objection to it at all and I like to stay fit and want to join a lot of societies.

No! I know people twice your age who are at university! You're never too old to learn :s-smilie: Sometimes it's better to start a little older because you're like senpai, you're older and more experienced and knowledgeable.
Its not too old at all. In my first year I lived with 2 guys who were 23 and 24, we all got on really well. If you're willing to put yourself out there and have fun you'll have no problem making friends at uni regardless of age.
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
I dont think its too old at all :smile:

Thanks!
Reply 5
Original post by LittleMissMay
No! I know people twice your age who are at university! You're never too old to learn :s-smilie: Sometimes it's better to start a little older because you're like senpai, you're older and more experienced and knowledgeable.

Thanks for your response. I definitely don't feel i'm too old to learn as i'm blazing through 3 a levels in a year and i'm doing fine :smile: I am just kind of anxious about there being a noticeable difference between myself and others!

Perhaps i will be a little bit like senpai though haha
Reply 6
Original post by dean01234
Its not too old at all. In my first year I lived with 2 guys who were 23 and 24, we all got on really well. If you're willing to put yourself out there and have fun you'll have no problem making friends at uni regardless of age.

Ah this is really good to hear. I do have mates both older and younger than me and there hasn't ever been any kind of issue with a difference in age at all, just nervous that it might somehow be different in halls!

cheers for the response.

no such thing as too old for education. heck, a lot of nursing students I have encountered are in their 30s and 40s (btw, im the same age as you)
Thanks for your response. I definitely don't feel i'm too old to learn as i'm blazing through 3 a levels in a year and i'm doing fine :smile: I am just kind of anxious about there being a noticeable difference between myself and others!

Perhaps i will be a little bit like senpai though haha

You're 24, only a bit older really.
There's a lady on my course who turned 60 this year :smile: So defo not.
To start University at 24 is probably better.

Living in the halls might be a problem
No you're fairly young, there's a grandma studying in my course, if she can do it then so can you xD
Reply 12
Original post by ODES_PDES
To start University at 24 is probably better.

Living in the halls might be a problem

Ahh you have just confirmed my worst fears. You do think it would be a bit weird? The accommodation is all i can afford and i have just applied for it :frown:
Ahh you have just confirmed my worst fears. You do think it would be a bit weird? The accommodation is all i can afford and i have just applied for it :frown:

I am not trying to put you off.
If you look younger than your age and behave a bit "immaturely" you will be ok.
Reply 14
I am not trying to put you off.
If you look younger than your age and behave a bit "immaturely" you will be ok.

I know you arent, and thats why its making me worry ahah.

I definitely do look younger than my age however im pretty tall (6ft3) and I guess i do like a daft laugh. In what way do you think it would be a problem if you dont mind me asking?
Reply 15
Original post by RosyPearl
No you're fairly young, there's a grandma studying in my course, if she can do it then so can you xD

Hahah, thanks for the vote of confidence! xD however i mean as in fitting in and having a rather typical uni experience. Or am i destined to live alone and put everything into my work as there will be nothing else for me to do?

Bit melodramatic but these things have to be asked ahah
I know you arent, and thats why its making me worry ahah.

I definitely do look younger than my age however im pretty tall (6ft3) and I guess i do like a daft laugh. In what way do you think it would be a problem if you dont mind me asking?

6 years age gap.
I am sure you do not have many 18 year old mates
Reply 17
6 years age gap.
I am sure you do not have many 18 year old mates

Very fair point
Hahah, thanks for the vote of confidence! xD however i mean as in fitting in and having a rather typical uni experience. Or am i destined to live alone and put everything into my work as there will be nothing else for me to do?

Bit melodramatic but these things have to be asked ahah

Absolutely! You will fit in don't worry, just get involved in your uni's societies as this is a great way to meet like minded people. Also most people in your cohort would have taken gap years or did another degree before, the minute you enter you will be chatting with others. I mingle with 40 year olds and they act like one of us I can't even tell the difference lol but they seem to fit in so well and we have interesting conversations because they have more life experience. You will be fine! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest