The Student Room Group

Is this enough for grounds for sacking?

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by GeorgeB16

Being overheard calling a customer a 'silly bastard'? Absolutely grounds for an immediate sacking.
Reply 2
Original post by threeportdrift
Being overheard calling a customer a 'silly bastard'? Absolutely grounds for an immediate sacking.

Do you reckon she would laugh it off seen as she seemed fine with me for the rest of the time she was there. She might not even have heard me say "silly bastard" but she definitely heard me laugh that she was having merlot with lemonade. This was halfway across the restaurant.
I am 17 and work part time at a bar/restaurant. There was a couple in today who ordered a Merlot with lemonade and me being the gobshite I am laughed behind their backs and said silly bastards and I think the lady heard me. She appeared to laugh it off and I said I was so sorry and we carried on. I then cleared her table and she said that it's a lovely drink so I didn't know what to say I just said oh right with a smile on my face. When I took her dessert order we were having a laugh because the dessert was spotted dick and when she paid we were chatting about the food and layout of the restaurant but I am paranoid she was still annoyed at me. When she left she said was going to speak to Armin (the owner of the company) who she lives next door to. I can't work out whether it was about my language about her that she was going to speak about or what we was discussing regarding the layout of tables and how she doesn't like it. I'm getting paranoid because I only joke around with people like I was with the desserts but I don't want her to have taken it the wrong way I just thought it was an unusual drink. Would this be grounds for sacking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Technically yes, it would be grounds for sacking if she made a complaint however I doubt she heard it, and I think it would be harsh if you otherwise perform your work duties to a good standard. Plus, you were honest about making a mistake and tried to rectify it, I kinda admire that.

If I was behind her and she couldn't see what I was looking at, I'd have tried a response along the lines of "I do apologise if you thought I was laughing at you just now, I actually noticed [insert something daft] happening over there as I was walking away.". I might have also tried to talk her into trying a red wine mixed with cola and give the backstory of how it became a popular drink in the Basque country. (Google "Kalimotxo" if you're curious). The more experience you get, the more you'll learn to blag and BS your way out of these types of holes.

P.S. Anything mixed with postmix makes the bar more money than the regular drink on its own, because that stuff is extremely cheap per glass. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by IanDangerously
Technically yes, it would be grounds for sacking if she made a complaint however I doubt she heard it, and I think it would be harsh if you otherwise perform your work duties to a good standard. Plus, you were honest about making a mistake and tried to rectify it, I kinda admire that.

If I was behind her and she couldn't see what I was looking at, I'd have tried a response along the lines of "I do apologise if you thought I was laughing at you just now, I actually noticed [insert something daft] happening over there as I was walking away.". I might have also tried to talk her into trying a red wine mixed with cola and give the backstory of how it became a popular drink in the Basque country. (Google "Kalimotxo" if you're curious). The more experience you get, the more you'll learn to blag and BS your way out of these types of holes.

P.S. Anything mixed with postmix makes the bar more money than the regular drink on its own, because that stuff is extremely cheap per glass. :smile:

Thank you! I certainly wasn't aiming it personally because she comes in regularly and I've spoke to her before and she's lovely, I was just a bit confused about the drink she ordered. I agree with wine and coke because I will admit I've had that so that's just as bad I guess :colondollar:
Thank you! I certainly wasn't aiming it personally because she comes in regularly and I've spoke to her before and she's lovely, I was just a bit confused about the drink she ordered. I agree with wine and coke because I will admit I've had that so that's just as bad I guess :colondollar:

I got talked into trying the wine and coke thing when I was in Bilbao cos they all do it over there, I was like "that sounds horrible but I'll try it" and weirdly ended up enjoying it! Even have it at home sometimes if I've got some cheap red wine knocking about that tastes **** on its own. :smile:

If she comes in regularly she'll be back at some point, it takes 3 visits on average for a person to become a regular repeat customer in a bar. If it was a first time visitor there'd be more far reason to be concerned about a complaint.
Reply 6
Original post by IanDangerously
I got talked into trying the wine and coke thing when I was in Bilbao cos they all do it over there, I was like "that sounds horrible but I'll try it" and weirdly ended up enjoying it! Even have it at home sometimes if I've got some cheap red wine knocking about that tastes **** on its own. :smile:

If she comes in regularly she'll be back at some point, it takes 3 visits on average for a person to become a regular repeat customer in a bar. If it was a first time visitor there'd be more far reason to be concerned about a complaint.

No she is a regular I see her every Sunday. She's a lovely lady I just hope I didn't offend her. She's jolly so I guess she probably laughed it off.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending