The Student Room Group

Urgent A-level Help

Hello, I am currently in Year 11 coming close to sitting my GCSE exams and I am struggling to decide on my A-level options.
Currently I have been thinking that I am going to study History, Gov and Politics and Economics. I have studied History at GCSE and it is my favorite subject while me also being predicted an A* so I feel this is a good option. I was thinking of choosing Economics because I really enjoyed and excelled at the Business GCSE and also feel that the subject suits my best traits. I am also thinking of choosing Government and Politics because I am very interested in national politics and also when looking at the subject I felt that it looked really appealing and suited what I excel at. Finally, this is where I am stumped haha.
While choosing these 3 subjects and believing I will enjoy all of them, I have not considered my future choice of what I will study at University. I was thinking of rather going down a History/Law route or trying to possibly going down a finance/economics route. However, if I wanted to go down a finance route would me not having Maths as an A-level put me at a severe disadvantage? For my fourth A-level subject I am open to all suggestions however I am looking for a facilitating subject. Here is where the main problem comes, I believe Maths would support my future really well as it would open a lot of career paths however even though I am most likely to get an A or A* in it at GCSE, I really do not enjoy Maths and when looking at the A-level syllabus it frightened me. I also do not like any of the sciences nor could I do a language so I am really stuck :frown:
After all this rambling on, my main questions are what do you think of my current A level choices and do you think they will support my future endeavours at University despite me not knowing what I want to do? Also, what fourth A-level subject do you think I should choose?

Any help will be greatly appreciated and I am sorry that I made you read all of this haha.
Original post by JamesCleary0121
Hello, I am currently in Year 11 coming close to sitting my GCSE exams and I am struggling to decide on my A-level options.
Currently I have been thinking that I am going to study History, Gov and Politics and Economics. I have studied History at GCSE and it is my favorite subject while me also being predicted an A* so I feel this is a good option. I was thinking of choosing Economics because I really enjoyed and excelled at the Business GCSE and also feel that the subject suits my best traits. I am also thinking of choosing Government and Politics because I am very interested in national politics and also when looking at the subject I felt that it looked really appealing and suited what I excel at. Finally, this is where I am stumped haha.
While choosing these 3 subjects and believing I will enjoy all of them, I have not considered my future choice of what I will study at University. I was thinking of rather going down a History/Law route or trying to possibly going down a finance/economics route. However, if I wanted to go down a finance route would me not having Maths as an A-level put me at a severe disadvantage? For my fourth A-level subject I am open to all suggestions however I am looking for a facilitating subject. Here is where the main problem comes, I believe Maths would support my future really well as it would open a lot of career paths however even though I am most likely to get an A or A* in it at GCSE, I really do not enjoy Maths and when looking at the A-level syllabus it frightened me. I also do not like any of the sciences nor could I do a language so I am really stuck :frown:
After all this rambling on, my main questions are what do you think of my current A level choices and do you think they will support my future endeavours at University despite me not knowing what I want to do? Also, what fourth A-level subject do you think I should choose?

Any help will be greatly appreciated and I am sorry that I made you read all of this haha.

Not having maths might limit you for studying economics at some universities so you might want to consider it. Not doing some sort of science does narrow your options a bit but if you can't see yourself studying a science degree then i wouldnt worry too much.
Definitely do at least one subject you're really passionate about - keep history in there for sure! From what you've said, your 4th option should probably either be Law or Maths, it's your choice. However I would say that there doesn't seem much point spending your time doing an A Level that you don't think you'd like or be good at.

There is always the choice to do Economics BA (Bachelor of Arts) rather than Economics BSc (Bachelor of Science). I hear the BA is less maths based, so having done Maths A Level wouldn't matter. Maybe you should have a quick look at the different kinds of economics courses universities offer?

Above all though, I would chose ones that you enjoy - your future will all fall into place around that.

Quick Reply

Latest