The Student Room Group

Aiming to do a park run

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lets be serious
If you don't have the time or means (food) to properly recover then the progress will again be minimal, just like if you don't train very hard. If you can't function again an hour after training then you're seriously unfit.

this is me and i'm sure it's not a good idea for beginners such as myself to go and exhaust everything i have xD

tbh the food at my school isn't brilliant.... and rest doesn't really exist either... you have set times to do everything and y'know you can't always sleep on the spot..
Original post by thunder_chunky
It's not a good method for beginner runner. It's difficult at first and there has to be a bit of structure. Beginner runners are limited in terms of how far they go or for how long so. If he doesn't take it slow and just goes nuts he will throw up and potentially injure himself. The advice was daft. I'm

If he warmups sufficiently he won't get injured. He's already done a fair bit of running anyway. Everyone is limited by how far they can go and for how long.
Original post by thefatone
this is me and i'm sure it's not a good idea for beginners such as myself to go and exhaust everything i have xD

tbh the food at my school isn't brilliant.... and rest doesn't really exist either... you have set times to do everything and y'know you can't always sleep on the spot..

Assuming you warm up correctly there's no reason you can't put 100% effort in. Even if you can only run a mile.
Original post by thunder_chunky
It won't take you more than hour. You can walk it if you wish. Or you could run some and power walk the rest. It's up to you. I think they stick around until the last one is done. Tell them you're a beginner as well.

Hmmm, I'm convinced. Perhaps I'll do it sooner than expected. I'll see how I get on at the gym in the next few weeks. I worry slightly that my continuous running yesterday was a fluke. I'll keep your motto in mind :biggrin:. Thanks for your helpful replies Thunks.

Original post by Lets be serious
If he warmups sufficiently he won't get injured. He's already done a fair bit of running anyway. Everyone is limited by how far they can go and for how long.

I haven't been doing much cardio in the last few months. A lot of walking but my gym sessions have been 10-15 minutes cardio (of which half would be running). But I think the mental fortitude I built by trying to lift weights which were heavier than what was convenient as well as walking annoyingly long distances helped.

There definitely is a mental barrier which I'm finding a bit easier to break through, through my other efforts.
Original post by thefatone
I think there is some use in doing intense things. I am forcing myself back to a class on Saturday which I've been avoiding. But while not that far in the scheme of things, 5k tests your endurance so I think there's little point trying to sprint it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Kvothe the arcane
If that's the case, then perhaps I can do it. I'm hoping @thunder_chunky can give me an idea of max time allowed. There's no number on the site. I suppose I could take a friend. I didn't think about that. Thanks :smile:. Most of mine are lazy :tongue: but I think I can think of someone. Outside is definitely harder!

I'm sure my local parkrun has last weeks times up on the site, so you could see what the slowest time was - or just call/email the organiser and ask... parkrun is meant to be an inclusive and accessible thing

ok, slowest ones near me were about 40 minutes last week
Original post by doodle_333
I'm sure my local parkrun has last weeks times up on the site, so you could see what the slowest time was - or just call/email the organiser and ask... parkrun is meant to be an inclusive and accessible thing

ok, slowest ones near me were about 40 minutes last week

Couldn't confirm last week's but from googling, it seems to be the same in other areas. The average in my area was 28 minutes. I found a friend to go with. And the park isn't that far from my house so can practice there when it comes to crunch time.

Thanks for your replies. A friend has agreed to go with me when I do. Thank god. Someone to share the embarrassment with.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 26
Heyo

So I'd like to do at least one 5k parkrun later this year in a decent amount of time. I'm very unfit.

I'll be working on my cardio fitness mainly on the treadmill. I will be happy with 15-30 minute 5ks. When I get to that point, does anyone have a suggestion of a training plan to follow to go from treadmill to irl?

Irl running is much harder but at the same time, I don't think I would have to regress to something like the beginning of C25K. Any suggestions?

Found this in the the wiki too - its what i mentioned

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/HIIT
Heyo

So I'd like to do at least one 5k parkrun later this year in a decent amount of time. I'm very unfit.

I'll be working on my cardio fitness mainly on the treadmill. I will be happy with 15-30 minute 5ks. When I get to that point, does anyone have a suggestion of a training plan to follow to go from treadmill to irl?

Irl running is much harder but at the same time, I don't think I would have to regress to something like the beginning of C25K. Any suggestions?

I would consider starting to 5k at week 5 or so and seeing how you go. The parkrun doesn't finish until everyone has completed it. At my parkrun we have people who walk it with their dogs in just under an hour. There's no stigma to taking it steady.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by k9markiii
I would consider starting to 5k at week 5 or so and seeing how you go. The parkrun doesn't finish until everyone has completed it. At my parkrun we have people who walk it with their dogs in just under an hour. There's no stigma to taking it steady.

Hi. Thanks for your reply. Week 5?

Yea, I'm happy to go with my friend even if we're last.
Hi. Thanks for your reply. Week 5?

Yea, I'm happy to go with my friend even if we're last.

Ye I think that's where it starts to be more running than walking, which should be suitable for you if you've already done some treadmill stuff. You won't be the last. Parkruns have a volunteer as the tail runner, who will accompany the last person around. Hope you enjoy it. Remember to print your barcode off.
Ye I think that's where it starts to be more running than walking, which should be suitable for you if you've already done some treadmill stuff. You won't be the last. Parkruns have a volunteer as the tail runner, who will accompany the last person around. Hope you enjoy it. Remember to print your barcode off.

Ah yes. Since making this thread, I have tried running irl (to the gym), and it was much harder than expected. So c25k seems sensible. Could use an app. I'll try week 4 i think.

"Begin with a brisk five-minute walk, then three minutes of running, 90 seconds of walking, five minutes of running, two-and-a-half minutes of walking, three minutes of running, 90 seconds of walking and five minutes of running."

I'll force myself to do it irl. It's definitely harder. Makes the treadmill seem pointless.
Btw, I did email then and they said
Hi Keron,Please don't worry about being the slowest! Whatever happens, our Tail Runner is always the last over the line and will be there to support whoever needs it to get them round.Those that do come near the back have a range of times under their belt, and it depends on who turns up on the day. We have some runners crossing just before the Tail Runner in around 45 minutes on some weeks, and others taking just over an hour on other weeks. But what matters is getting up, getting out and getting moving. Our volunteers will be there to help you wherever in the field you come and nothing gets packed away until all runners are finished. And while I say runners, you don't even have to run at all - we welcome everyone from beginners walking the whole course to local athletes running it at incredible speeds.
@k9markiii, thanks for the training advice. I'll try c25k again. This time irl. At what point would you suggest turning up?
@k9markiii, thanks for the training advice. I'll try c25k again. This time irl. At what point would you suggest turning up?

Turning up to parkrun. I'd get there about 10 15 mins before.
Turning up to parkrun. I'd get there about 10 15 mins before.

I mean at what stage of timing/fitness :smile:.

I mean at what stage of timing/fitness :smile:.

Whenever you want. No one cares about your time, it's a fun event that is open to all abilities. There really is no need to be embarrassed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
When you get to the park run get yourself behind someone and stick to them.
I was running high 19s but when I started drafting people I managed to get into the 18s.
Been meaning to train myself too, done a couple runs recently. Didn't realise until just now that it's a 6k round route! Can't quite make the whole thing so it takes about 45 mins, but hopefully I'll be able to improve :yep:

I don't use a treadmill because I know it'd be too easy for me to give up unlike completing a full circuit (there are no shortcuts either).
Original post by Alexion
Been meaning to train myself too, done a couple runs recently. Didn't realise until just now that it's a 6k round route! Can't quite make the whole thing so it takes about 45 mins, but hopefully I'll be able to improve :yep:

I don't use a treadmill because I know it'd be too easy for me to give up unlike completing a full circuit (there are no shortcuts either).

Nice nice. Keep at it. As soon as I get on the treadmill, I think to myself "when is it over?".

Original post by Prince_fancybum
When you get to the park run get yourself behind someone and stick to them.
I was running high 19s but when I started drafting people I managed to get into the 18s.

Doesn't that only work for vehicles? :dontknow:
I doubt humans running have much of a slipstream due to the lack of sufficient velocity.

Original post by myblueheaven339
Whenever you want. No one cares about your time, it's a fun event that is open to all abilities. There really is no need to be embarrassed.

Fair enough. Thanks :smile:. The local organiser said similar things. I just hate being bad at things :colondollar:.
Nice nice. Keep at it. As soon as I get on the treadmill, I think to myself "when is it over?".

That's the advantage of a circuit, there's a physical distance to cover before you're done :yep:

Quick Reply

Latest