The Student Room Group

Law Graduate - career advice. Alternatives to law?

I apologise in advance for posting here as I am not a student (have not been in quite some time!).

However, I would be grateful for some much needed advice.

I am now in mid-30's and have been working for an insurance company for the last seven years or so as a claims negotiator.

I have an LLB, an LLM and completed the LPC and have quite a lot of legal work experience.

I also have a keen interest in IT (though no formal qualifications) and often help out in my current role with computer-related problems in the office.

I realise that I let myself stagnate for way too long and need to get out of this rut whilst I still can. All I know is that I no longer want to qualify as a Solicitor (which was my original plan) and am not entirely sure I want to pursue a strictly legal career.

What are my options?

Given that I have quite some experience in insurance law, it would seem sensible to do something else insurance related but not necessarily.

It is also difficult to apply for jobs as I need to know the types of jobs I can do with legal qualifications and insurance experience.

Any help/guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Original post by Finder123
I apologise in advance for posting here as I am not a student (have not been in quite some time!).

However, I would be grateful for some much needed advice.

I am now in mid-30's and have been working for an insurance company for the last seven years or so as a claims negotiator.

I have an LLB, an LLM and completed the LPC and have quite a lot of legal work experience.

I also have a keen interest in IT (though no formal qualifications) and often help out in my current role with computer-related problems in the office.

I realise that I let myself stagnate for way too long and need to get out of this rut whilst I still can. All I know is that I no longer want to qualify as a Solicitor (which was my original plan) and am not entirely sure I want to pursue a strictly legal career.

What are my options?

Given that I have quite some experience in insurance law, it would seem sensible to do something else insurance related but not necessarily.

It is also difficult to apply for jobs as I need to know the types of jobs I can do with legal qualifications and insurance experience.

Any help/guidance would be much appreciated.

Thanks

From my experience, the best thing to do is pick out the actual skills you have acquired over your time at different jobs and just utilise these and adapt them to suit a job you really want. For instance, law would require a keen eye for details, thinking logically and being a problem solver. This could apply to tons of stuff so find a job that appeals to you and then just use your experience and mould it to suit the application.
Reply 2
Many thanks for your reply.

That is really sensible advice.

Is there anywhere, in particular, that you might be able to suggest to look for suitable jobs?

I have no idea if exists but I was rather hoping to find some sort of recruitment website that would take note of your experience and qualifications and suggest suitable roles that you might be suitable for.

Quick Reply

Latest