The Student Room Group

What sexism have you experienced personally? (male & female)

Scroll to see replies

Welp, never experienced sexism on any scale like the ones I've seen on this thread - or expressed by some of the users here who are whining over how skirts above the knee are "inappropriate". Counting my blessings.
Original post by Wilhelmscreams
The constant debate over the length of young girl's skirt is so bewildering.
I'm not from the UK, here uniforms were withdrawn from schools a few years ago so the way children dress is up to "common sense".
However common sense means, that when it's spring girls wear skirts or short and boys wear shorts as well. If any of them can't concentrate on learning because of other's attire there is something wrong with them.
(Btw. do boys and girls have Physical Education together in the UK? )

I've never heard of anyone being sent home for inappropriate attire. Once a girl from my class was asked to stay after the lesson has ended. She wore a t-shirt with bigger than usual cleavage that day, so the teacher asked her to rethink her clothing, nothing more.

The fact you aren't from the UK would perhaps explain your lack of understanding. Despite the fact we are a rather liberal nation, we do have quite conservative attitudes to some things, male and female clothing is one. Whilst we may let people wear somewhat revealing clothing, it isn't really a norm.

Also, no, that isn't common sense, that is common sense where you are from, the UK is far too cold for that. And there is still a matter of what is decent, if I went around in boxers, that would not be decent.

And it varies from school to school I believe, generally it is mixed.
Original post by Another
Welp, never experienced sexism on any scale like the ones I've seen on this thread - or expressed by some of the users here who are whining over how skirts above the knee are "inappropriate". Counting my blessings.

We aren't referring to simply above the knee, surely you agree that there is a reasonable limit of decency?
Original post by IAmNero
We aren't referring to simply above the knee, surely you agree that there is a reasonable limit of decency?

Well sure, if the skirt line ends half way through the buttcheek, then I suppose it's indecent having your underwear out

But i don't think that's what the girl in question was wearing.
not really sexist but more stereotypical. so I'm blonde and i wear heels and makeup,(basically i like to look good, and not necessarily 'academic') and I walked into this debating competiton and all the other people in there (men and women) stared me up and down, looked at each other, and just sort of rolled their eyes and sniggered, because I don't necessarily look like I'm good at the sort of thing, but when i whooped their asses the look on their faces kinda made up for it *hair flick*
Original post by lillyroselove
not really sexist but more stereotypical. so I'm blonde and i wear heels and makeup,(basically i like to look good, and not necessarily 'academic':wink: and I walked into this debating competiton and all the other people in there (men and women) stared me up and down, looked at each other, and just sort of rolled their eyes and sniggered, because I don't necessarily look like I'm good at the sort of thing, but when i whooped their asses the look on their faces kinda made up for it *hair flick*

So you are stereotyping the academic look?

Are you going to ignore the fact you were there for a debate not a fashion show, you would look far more persuasive if you looked "academic".

But this is made up anyway for rep so
Original post by Another
Well sure, if the skirt line ends half way through the buttcheek, then I suppose it's indecent having your underwear out

But i don't think that's what the girl in question was wearing.

We can't really make a judgment on the story because we just do not know.
The boys toilets get locked and we have to sign for the key so they can monitor our visits to the bathroom. Meanwhile the girls bathroom is always unlocked
Original post by IAmNero
So you are stereotyping the academic look?

Are you going to ignore the fact you were there for a debate not a fashion show, you would look far more persuasive if you looked "academic".

But this is made up anyway for rep so

actually no I didnt mean to stereotype academic looks, I'm just saying I wasn't really the same as the other people there. And i can assure you that this isnt made up, so don't assume that it is
actually no I didnt mean to stereotype academic looks, I'm just saying I wasn't really the same as the other people there. And i can assure you that this isnt made up, so don't assume that it is

The simple fact you cannot use proper grammar seems to prove you did not win any sort of academic debate.

But giving benefit of the doubt; what was the issue you were debating on?
it takes a real man to cry and not care if people see it
Original post by shawtyb
it takes a real man to cry and not care if people see it

Isn't that saying that men who don't like crying aren't real men?
Original post by IAmNero
The simple fact you cannot use proper grammar seems to prove you did not win any sort of academic debate.

But giving benefit of the doubt; what was the issue you were debating on?

Look I'm not pretending it was some sort of national competition because it wasn't. I'm not saying that I'm the best debater because I'm definitely not that. I was in a good team(British Parlimentary), and we had a more persuasive argument by working in a team(and if I'm honest we probably has the easier argument) The motion was 'This House believes that National Healthcare should be restricted for overweight people' and we were against the motion.
Original post by IAmNero
Isn't that saying that men who don't like crying aren't real men?

no but compare a man who isnt afraid to be seen crying to these 'men' who dont cry because their egos get in the way and they think they will be emasculated (yes i know i spelt it wrong) if they are seen crying
Look I'm not pretending it was some sort of national competition because it wasn't. I'm not saying that I'm the best debater because I'm definitely not that. I was in a good team(British Parlimentary), and we had a more persuasive argument by working in a team(and if I'm honest we probably has the easier argument) The motion was 'This House believes that National Healthcare should be restricted for overweight people' and we were against the motion.

And your basic arguments?
Reply 155
Pretty sure my history teacher is very sexist. Basically when we're in her class (im in y13) me and my two friends will be "picked on" so basically told off or she'll have a go at us for something then one of the girls would do it and get cleanly away, example my friend asked if our teacher had marked our essays - perfectly acceptable question and she shouted at him saying she had had no time and for him to have more respect, one of the girls asked later and the teacher replied as sweetly as possible that she hadn't had time but would be doing them soon.
Last year I handed in an essay that this girl got 50/50 on and got 28/50, I copied her word for word. happened multiple times. At one point I got shouted at infront of everyone for talking during standing in silence outside the college for the firealarm when id been standing silent. The girls get all the help because they fake breakdowns in order to get help, then they think theyre going to do well and don't. Again an example was yesterday when one of the "A grade" students asked if the supreme court was the same thing as congress, and I was sat there like tf? and yeah I know that maybe you might dismiss this but in my opinion its sexism.
Original post by shawtyb
no but compare a man who isnt afraid to be seen crying to these 'men' who dont cry because their egos get in the way and they think they will be emasculated (yes i know i spelt it wrong) if they are seen crying

I don't think that at all. It isn't really ego that gets in the way of it, it's just that men are different in terms of neurology. Men tend to be a lot more introverted where women are more extroverted. Men will cry around their mates, but usually only very trusted ones.
Original post by IAmNero
And your basic arguments?

Mainly that everyone pays their taxes and as long as someone pays their taxes then they should get equal treatment within the NHS. And that the motion doesn't take into account people's medical history, and whether they have a condition that makes them overweight. And how the term 'overweight' is to be measured. Satisfied yet?
Original post by IAmNero
I don't think that at all. It isn't really ego that gets in the way of it, it's just that men are different in terms of neurology. Men tend to be a lot more introverted where women are more extroverted. Men will cry around their mates, but usually only very trusted ones.

i know all men are not the same but im specifically on about these men who think their hard men with reputations to uphold.
i fully respect the fact many many men are happy to cry whenever and whenever around whoever
having to tell the women what to do. and that they are supposed to cook and clean lol

Quick Reply

Latest