The Student Room Group

Can we have a ban on muslim threads?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Wired_1800
To be fair, people tend to fear what they don't know or cannot understand. The Jews were feared in the 1930's migration to the US. There was palpable tension and visible xenophobic attacks against the Jewish communities. The sad thing is that history often repeats itself.

What happened to the jews was an outright atrocity, this however is more subtle.

This kind of stuff happens because people are so simple minded
Original post by minimarshmallow
The CT are in charge of the moderation of threads and answering reports.

If you see any threads or posts that break TSR rules, please use the report feature.

If you'd like to query any specific moderation action, please create a thread in Ask the CT and they will address this.

This
Original post by darkvibes
What happened to the jews was an outright atrocity, this however is more subtle.

This kind of stuff happens because people are so simple minded

I agree. I was just comparing how the Jews were treated during the 1930's American society to how the Muslims are treated during the 2010's Western societies.
Original post by muslimstanisyed

I actually think it will be better for the forum and allow us to talk about and debate about more than muslims.

Fascist are often stupid but hey, let's just explain this to you.
1.Criticism of a religion is good. 90% of these threads about Islam, not Muslims.
2. Muslims are not a race(Human construct)
3. Stopping people talking about half of an argument helps bring about debate? WTF, this just goes to show how silly fascism is.

Grow up.
If they don't break any rules, technically they shouldn't be banned, but my god they just don't go away - maybe there should be a 'controversial opinions about islam' megathread or something.
I agree. I was just comparing how the Jews were treated during the 1930's American society to how the Muslims are treated during the 2010's Western societies.

It's a shame that such comparison can even be made in the modern world we live in today.

Honestly though, the anonymity that TSR people have is what lets the get away from say the most horrible things here. They would never say it in reality.
Original post by balanced
Fascist are often stupid but hey, let's just explain this to you.
1.Criticism of a religion is good. 90% of these threads about Islam, not Muslims.
2. Muslims are not a race(Human construct)
3. Stopping people talking about half of an argument helps bring about debate? WTF, this just goes to show how silly fascism is.

Grow up.

Patronising, inflammatory and a little sarcasm. All traits of a typical post an islamophobe makes on this forum.
Patronising, inflammatory and a little sarcasm. All traits of a typical post an islamophobe makes on this forum.

THANK YOU.

I've been looking for a post like this for a while now. There was no sarcasm in that post, I held myself back. Also, you're suggesting that I am an Islamaphobe for *daring* to support the hideous idea of free speech and the right to offend. (the most important part-eg right to offend gov)
maybe the phrasing of this is wrong, but it might be best to avoid religious topics????????????? Is censorship too much idk but the whole muslim bashing / blind muslim support being blared out ma screen 24/7 is kind of exhausting, don't ya think? Not that that's much of a reason to ban it, I just.. hm..
It's a shame that such comparison can even be made in the modern world we live in today.

Honestly though, the anonymity that TSR people have is what lets the get away from say the most horrible things here. They would never say it in reality.

Most of those posters are cowards. They hide behind the facelessness of TSR and spit so much bigotry that you get worried about the safety of the individuals in question.
THANK YOU.

I've been looking for a post like this for a while now. There was no sarcasm in that post, I held myself back. Also, you're suggesting that I am an Islamaphobe for *daring* to support the hideous idea of free speech and the right to offend. (the most important part-eg right to offend gov)

You implied that OP was a fascist and stupid.

Your argument is a strawman, he didnt say it was wrong to criticise islam but because most threads are littered with posts from ignorant trolls who want an argument, especially because it is so repeated and the same argument is repeated again and again.

Criticism in the name of free speech is totally fine but when it is done soooo many times and done so insensitively, it is inflammatory, disrespectful and incites religious hatred.
Most of those posters are cowards. They hide behind the facelessness of TSR and spit so much bigotry that you get worried about the safety of the individuals in question.

Agreed, they're very dismissive of a counter argument, which basically shows that they do it in spite of islam

Btw, most of these 'debates' havent got a 50/50, most who defenc islam are fed up of arguing against the bigots.
Agreed, they're very dismissive of a counter argument, which basically shows that they do it in spite of islam

I think the solution is to ignore trolls and have constructive debates with serious posters. Some posters want to learn and grow, while some other people are just there to spoil the party.
I think the solution is to ignore trolls and have constructive debates with serious posters. Some posters want to learn and grow, while some other people are just there to spoil the party.

Problem is there are soooo many islamophobes and people who generally want to spend their time criticising Islam that constructive and meaningful debates cannot happen since they are trashed by these simple minded fools. Im totally up for a serious debate but more often than not, an islamophobe claiming to only 'criticise Islam in the name of free speech' talks in a disrespectful and patronising tone, making strawman arguments and generally just ignoring the point I made. These idiots get a buzz from winning the argument even though they dont provide any sufficient rebuttal to my point.
Problem is there are soooo many islamophobes and people who generally want to spend their time criticising Islam that constructive and meaningful debates cannot happen since they are trashed by these simple minded fools. Im totally up for a serious debate but more often than not, an islamophobe claiming to only 'criticise Islam in the name of free speech' talks in a disrespectful and patronising tone, making strawman arguments and generally just ignoring the point I made. These idiots get a buzz from winning the argument even though they dont provide any sufficient rebuttal to my point.

True, but you have to persevere. Hopefully, you find one person who will be willing to constructively debate rather than act foolish. All we need is to change one person's mind.
These idiots get a buzz from winning the argument even though they dont provide any sufficient rebuttal to my point.

Looking at your short posting history (to see what unrebutted points you have made) I see that you are a new user who has not joined in with any debates on Islam yet.

Which username have you used for these debates, and why have you resorted to personal insults instead of arguing points?
True, but you have to persevere. Hopefully, you find one person who will be willing to constructively debate rather than act foolish. All we need is to change one person's mind.

There's no point really. but i have done so in the past.
Original post by Good bloke
Looking at your short posting history (to see what unrebutted points you have made) I see that you are a new user who has not joined in with any debates on Islam yet.

Which username have you used for these debates, and why have you resorted to personal insults instead of arguing points?

i may or may not have spoken to you in the past. How can I be sure you won't ban this account?

And where was i using 'personal insults' exactly? Do point it out.

And where was i using 'personal insults' exactly? Do point it out.

Certainly. In the six posts you made before my first post you used the following insults:

simple minded fools

These idiots

the bigots

ignorant trolls

simple minded

No longer being a moderator, I have no power to ban you, so I don't understand what you mean in your initial comment.

Quick Reply

Latest